Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but had a questions about redline oil as I am a first time user. So first this is my first time changing my oil myself and do not have a manual. I have a 2008 RG and put 4 quarts is the engine, 1 quart in the tranny and I used 32oz in the primary. Now I've read that with the 6 speeds they say to use 38oz but when I called the Harley dealership they said to only use 32oz. I guess I may just be paranoid being my first time changing my oil myself, but it seems the bike is running a bit hotter. And a little worried about the primary. Any info would be great thanks guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,515 Posts
It's 38oz for a normal fluid change. If you ever remove the outer primary so that all the oil is drained you need to add 45oz. It is better to have a little less in the primary than over filling.

· Registered
651 Posts
I think you should have put 3-1/2 qt. of oil in the crank case. That's what I do. If it starts spitting oil out of the air cleaner, you put in too much.

· Registered
7,515 Posts
The first thing you should do is go get a HD service manual for your year/model bike.
38 fl oz is the correct amount in the primary also the suggestions on the engine oil is correct 3 1/2 qt of oil max in the engine when doing a engine oil and filter change.
Use 75w90 or 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in the transmission Mobil 1 or Valvoline is good products to use, don't use 20w50 engine oil in the transmission even though the HD service manual tell you to.

· Registered
329 Posts
I agree 3 1/2 quarts in crank case, not sure why HD insists it's 4qts. If I put 4qts in it would puke oil out of the breather.
YUP...this is what I've learned after the first two DYI oil changes. I'm like, "WTF????":mad: So I did 3.25qts. on the 3rd and snuck up on it measuring at operating temp on the jiffy stand. Much better:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.