Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but had a questions about redline oil as I am a first time user. So first this is my first time changing my oil myself and do not have a manual. I have a 2008 RG and put 4 quarts is the engine, 1 quart in the tranny and I used 32oz in the primary. Now I've read that with the 6 speeds they say to use 38oz but when I called the Harley dealership they said to only use 32oz. I guess I may just be paranoid being my first time changing my oil myself, but it seems the bike is running a bit hotter. And a little worried about the primary. Any info would be great thanks guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
It's 38oz for a normal fluid change. If you ever remove the outer primary so that all the oil is drained you need to add 45oz. It is better to have a little less in the primary than over filling.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I would add another 6oz. The compensator has trouble getting enough lubrication even with the correct amount of fluid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If in doubt, just go to YouTube and in the search bar type in "2008 Road Glide primary case oil change". It shows you step by step. Good luck!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think you should have put 3-1/2 qt. of oil in the crank case. That's what I do. If it starts spitting oil out of the air cleaner, you put in too much.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I defiantly did hit up YouTube that's where I saw the 38oz. So I think I'm going to add more primary fluid and I'm going to keep an eye on the oil to see if it's spitting out the air cleaner. Thanks again

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think you should have put 3-1/2 qt. of oil in the crank case. That's what I do. If it starts spitting oil out of the air cleaner, you put in too much.
I agree 3 1/2 quarts in crank case, not sure why HD insists it's 4qts. If I put 4qts in it would puke oil out of the breather.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
The first thing you should do is go get a HD service manual for your year/model bike.
38 fl oz is the correct amount in the primary also the suggestions on the engine oil is correct 3 1/2 qt of oil max in the engine when doing a engine oil and filter change.
Use 75w90 or 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in the transmission Mobil 1 or Valvoline is good products to use, don't use 20w50 engine oil in the transmission even though the HD service manual tell you to.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree 3 1/2 quarts in crank case, not sure why HD insists it's 4qts. If I put 4qts in it would puke oil out of the breather.
YUP...this is what I've learned after the first two DYI oil changes. I'm like, "WTF????":mad: So I did 3.25qts. on the 3rd and snuck up on it measuring at operating temp on the jiffy stand. Much better:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts