Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2015 RGS after totaling my 2012 RGC. I am taking the new bike to Sturgis and want to replace stock headers with decatted stock headers just to reduce heat while I am out there. I plan to look for an exhaust, intake and tuner while I am there. If I do the decatted stock header only and keep stock intake and muffler before the trip do I need to remap the ECU?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
No you don't. I hope you find the right system for you. I love buying stuff at Rallies. Even if it does cost a bit more and a lot times it actually is a better deal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So what is all involved with decatting a header? Is it something I can do in my garage? What are the pros and cons of doing it?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
So what is all involved with decatting a header? Is it something I can do in my garage? What are the pros and cons of doing it?
Some have tried doing it themselves but you need to cut into the pipe and then re-weld it. From what I understand it is a PITA. It will make your right foot and leg cooler and allows for increased exhaust flow.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got one off of an '11 Street Glide that's already been decatted. PM if interested.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just swapped out the stock 2015 header with cat for my old 2012 decatted header that only had 500 miles on it. Fit was perfect and the swap was completed in full in 1 hour. I still have the stock intake and mufflers.
Went for a short ride (< 5 miles) and the tone went a little deeper and volume a little louder, especially under throttle. I also felt a little more punch. I hope the throttle will to get a little better once I put a few more miles on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope you find the right system for you. I love buying stuff at Rallies. Even if it does cost a bit more and a lot times it actually is a better deal.
I did some research by way of Bob @ Fuel Moto and decided to keep the stock decatted headers over a true dual system. I will purchase a pair of Freedom Performance American Outlaw slip-ons and Performance Machine Max HP intake while I am in Sturgis. I will not pay more out there for these items than I can get them at home. Cash talks out there!

I also just purchased PV-2 loaded with a tune for the decatted header for now and a second tune to match my purchases. I will flash (ECU, not a crowd of people) as soon as the items are installed... Well it is Sturgis...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.