Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not the best section for this post.

I've managed to really load my pipe shields up with burned on Frog Togg (rain gear).
I'm having a tough time getting it off----anyone know what I might use to get it off the pipes?

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hot or cold.

I've used the cold method. Wait until pipes are fully cooled, use a razor blade to gently scrape them off, once you get it started it will flake off easily. Then use Blue Job to remove any visible staining on the pipes. Original Dragula pipes are bad for this happening to them especially when using the kickstand to fuel up.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Steel wool or a SOS pad works just fine and it will NOT scratch the chrome. I use steel wool on my pipes and other chrome items to remove stuff including burnt on Frogg Toggs. I don't use any chemicals or fancy chrome polish stuff just good old steel wool.
:wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips.
I used the cold application oven cleaner. It took several applications, but most of the crud came off. I used a razor blade for some of the really stubborn stuff, and managed to leave some scratches---at my age I should have more patience.

Again, thanks
Craig

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
I used the cold application oven cleaner. It took several applications, but most of the crud came off. I used a razor blade for some of the really stubborn stuff, and managed to leave some scratches---at my age I should have more patience.

Again, thanks
Craig
You never get scratches if you used steel wool, razors and oven cleaner is a bad idea.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,476 Posts
Nothing wrong with oven cleaner but the razor was the bad idea. The oven cleaner would have worked better if you had warmed the pipes up a bit. Glad some don't get scratches with steel wool but I guess that depends on how good the chrome is. My buddy has some areas that look like a fine brushed finish from using 0000 steel wool. Bronze wool is the safest bet because it is softer than the chrome.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
I just use a SOS pad and it never scratched any chrome on my bike and I used it on the exhaust, engine chrome and chrome forks and wheels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I learned on my Sturgis trip this year that if you take a towel, (not micro fiber!!!!) and rub the area when it is still hot, it will come off. Did it twice and rubbed it right when it happened. No scratch no fuss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.