Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first 3 hole oil change on my (new to me) 2015RGS in the Fall after watching Ryan Urlacher's YouTube video with no issues. I just took the bike for a nice long ride and came back to drain the hot fluids and removed 4 bolts, not 3. The picture attached shows the 4th plug I wasn't supposed to remove (#3 labeled Hex Plug (do not remove) from the Service Manual...uggh... I realized something wasn't right when it had red thread lock on it after I took it out. Question - How bad did I screw up and will the fluid that came out of that hole be replaced when I fill the 3 holes? I'm hoping someone here knows what that plug drains...Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Don't over tighten it or it could cause a problem. Do as others said and then leave it alone.
yep, it's a tapered pipe plug. overtighten it and you'll have worse problems.

i believe in the manual they refer to them as crankcase pipe plugs and have a torque spec of 120 INCH/lbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skratch - Thanks for the torque specs and name of the plug! I just verified in the Service Manual and you are correct Sir! Wasn't even sure what to look up before you replied...Thanks!
Now if I can just find a way to sew the mattress tag back on I'll be in good shape :)

Thanks again for the replies! Now I can finish the rest of my maintenance, replace brakes and flush the brake fluid so I can get my rear tire replaced before Gettysburg!!

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
OMG ,,, that's worse than removing your mattress tag.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yep, it's a tapered pipe plug. overtighten it and you'll have worse problems.

i believe in the manual they refer to them as crankcase pipe plugs and have a torque spec of 120 INCH/lbs.
Yes this is a tapered plug! Hamfist this one and the case will crack! 120 inch pounds equals a 10 pound pull with 1 foot worth of leverage! Put sealant on it and go real ez. I did the same thing my first oil change, no worries!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do not remove

If you have an oil scavenger setup, you use that hole to drain the last dregs of oil from your engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts