Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I found this on another site. The only thing I would add is I find it is much easier to reinstall the fairing on the hooks with the headlights removed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SuzH2ToplM
The video actually shows the proper way to do this procedure. I never removed the headlights to install the outer fairing, removing the headlight assembly is a wasted step and takes more time.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The video actually shows the proper way to do this procedure. I never removed the headlights to install the outer fairing, removing the headlight assembly is a wasted step and takes more time.
Unless, like I did this weekend, you add a whole bunch of too-short wiring bundles. I've never had a problem putting the fairing back on with the headlights still in place but this time it gave me fits. I added the bike-to-bike or CB system and Harley made all the wire harnesses too short and the connectors all ended up right where the headlights need to be, it took a couple hours of rerouting and moving crap around before I could get it all to fit. Ugh. Plus I have two HogTunes amps in there with that wiring as well. If it was totally stock, man, that would be a piece of cake!!

They should have advised covering the front fender though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unless, like I did this weekend, you add a whole bunch of too-short wiring bundles. I've never had a problem putting the fairing back on with the headlights still in place but this time it gave me fits. I added the bike-to-bike or CB system and Harley made all the wire harnesses too short and the connectors all ended up right where the headlights need to be, it took a couple hours of rerouting and moving crap around before I could get it all to fit. Ugh. Plus I have two HogTunes amps in there with that wiring as well. If it was totally stock, man, that would be a piece of cake!!

TB, that's exactly what I was thinking. I have so many wire harnesses and other 'chit tucked inside that the wires get in the way of the clip. It's much easier (and less frustrating) to remove the headlights.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pretty simple but as always exceptions to the rule especially with inner fairing mods. Did mine in stock form and was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Seems simple enough. Nice video thanks for sharing.
Now maybe I will go see if I have any of that Radio brackets perforating the fairing through the inside issue:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely agree on removing the headlights--I take my medicine for 10 minutes for zippy frustration later on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Great video, very strait forward!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the post, I have never done this but will probably do it now just because I can.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That video was incredibly helpful and easy to follow. I now feel like I can upgrade my audio without paying someone to do the install.

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts

I have to agree, with my HIDs and amps there is a lot of extra wiring, you have to remove the headlights to replace my fairing, and a towel on the front fender is very cheap insurance.

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
This will give me access to remove my gauges correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, except the speedo and tach.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm sure time can be saved with the headlights in but I took mine out and actually I think that saved me time.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I ended up taking the headlights out and it was much easier to line the fairing onto the clips - I just could not get them to attach with the headlights installed. It wasn't a piece of cake with the lights out either - there's a lots of wiring stuff near those clips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts