Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas on how to remove glued on Iso Grips? Had the clutch loose because of the bar swap that is about to happen and took bike to shop for service....i'll be damned if the mechanic didnt glue them on tight.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Take off the switch housing and the clutch bracket and let the sun heat up the grip for a while if you have a heat gun it would help, then twist and pull. I am just grabbing at straws here but heat usually softens glue. There is absolutely no reason to glue the grips on these bikes so I would stay far away from the Tech that did it. If you can't get it off you can take off the end cap and try to get a screw driver between the grip and the bar to break it loose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great info...i will try both ways if needed. thanks for the quick help. thanks again

·
Registered
809 Posts
any ideas on how to remove glued on Iso Grips? Had the clutch loose because of the bar swap that is about to happen and took bike to shop for service....i'll be damned if the mechanic didnt glue them on tight.
Cut it off and pick up another set of iso's. To much trouble to try and pry them off just to have a stretched grip or broken chrome.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Per the Iso Grip instructions it says to glue the clutch side grip on. They even come with the glue to do it. That sucker is bonded on there, so it isn't coming off in one piece. Time for new grips!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try twisting?

When I did the bar swap on my 11 RGU I was able to grab the grip and twist it off. I'm not saying it broke free immediately or without some effort, but it let loose. If it won't free up, I think Ironmark had a good idea with the heat---probably would be worth a try.

Craig

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I used compressed air and some prying between grip & bar to remove my stockers when I changed bars. Have to disagree in no need for glue, yes the new grip will not come off with the clutch perch / controls holding it on, but it will rotate easily if not glued. Not a huge problem but I prefer mine to be on there solid...

·
Registered
319 Posts
+1 on clutch side glue. I don't think a heat gun would work. The glue that comes with the grips is the cyroacrylate (super glue) variety. Some nail polish remover or acetone might loosen it up.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I used compressed air and some prying between grip & bar to remove my stockers when I changed bars. Have to disagree in no need for glue, yes the new grip will not come off with the clutch perch / controls holding it on, but it will rotate easily if not glued. Not a huge problem but I prefer mine to be on there solid...
HD grips do not require any glue on either side and they don't rotate except for the throttle side when I twist the wrist.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Got my wife's Sportster grip off by working a straw from a WD40 can under the grip. Giving it a spray and then working it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts