Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 RGS and going to install the HD curved license plate bracket to the original tail light bar. There is not enough room between the bracket and the fender just to remove the bracket from the tail light bar. It looks like one can do that with the rear tire still mounted?? Has anyone done this without removing the rear tire or jacking up the bike some for more room between the tire and mounting bolts to the tail light bar? I looked it up in my 2015 shop manual(I wanted a 18 shop manual, but now they are over $100) and it does not really indicate the need to remove or jack the bike up a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I did my 15 RGS with the tire on. Don't recall if I jacked it or not. I think that it's doable lying down with the right tool combination. No idea what that was at this point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep - did it on my 17 RGS to get rid of the reflector. Lay on your back and reach up between the tire and fender - I believe I use a boxed end wrench - just have to feel your way through it. Not much throw on the wrench turns so it will take a minute to get the bolts off. Easily doable.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep - did it on my 17 RGS to get rid of the reflector. Lay on your back and reach up between the tire and fender - I believe I use a boxed end wrench - just have to feel your way through it. Not much throw on the wrench turns so it will take a minute to get the bolts off. Easily doable.
Same thing I did. It sucked but got it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did the same.
I stopped counting after 12 million quarter turns of the box end wrench............:grin:

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All, thanks for the input

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a 1/4 drive flex head ratchet with 1/2 socket and that worked very well. All thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I took the reflector off mine too. I don't remember what exactly I used, but I had the 1/4 drive set out and the short combination wrenches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've done it on both my 15 and 17 RGS's. I used a box wrench to break the bolts loose then used a thumbwheel ratchet to finish removal of the bolts. It's tight but doable.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I used a shorty ratchet to take mine off the '16, while laying on my back and cussing myself for not getting a lift. Done My Buddy's 17 on the lift with the shorty ratchet too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a 2018 RGS and going to install the HD curved license plate bracket to the original tail light bar. There is not enough room between the bracket and the fender just to remove the bracket from the tail light bar. It looks like one can do that with the rear tire still mounted?? Has anyone done this without removing the rear tire or jacking up the bike some for more room between the tire and mounting bolts to the tail light bar? I looked it up in my 2015 shop manual(I wanted a 18 shop manual, but now they are over $100) and it does not really indicate the need to remove or jack the bike up a bit.

Thanks

Came across this recently
https://youtu.be/XkpjH3ALwKE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts