Road Glide banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is there an easier way to do this besides taking the wheel off?
It's tight, but I replaced the back brake lights/turn signals with LEDs, so had to pull off the plate, etc. You can loosen the screws holding it all to the fender without pulling the wheel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A buddy with smaller hands and more patience than me and with the bike on its jiffy stand...no wheel removal was necessary...he did it on his back...seriously, that's all it took...I bought him lunch ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
...and it goes without saying (but I'm saying it here :p) that having the right tools helps tremendously...;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at it from the top and there is less than an inch can of clearance in there. I can't even fit the proper torx head not attached to anything in there.

I guess taking off the signal mount is the easier way to go.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have big paws and I was able to do mine without removing the wheel I used a combination of a torx on a long extension and a mini ratchet with a torx.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need to remove the bottom light on the fender first, then it's not to bad to remove the taillights and then the reflector. It's not as much work as it sounds like, less than removing the tire. There are 3 small bolts that go to the light assembly on each side of the fender and a plug to the light and then it's out of the way. 2 bolts that hold the taillights on and 2 bolts for the reflector. I put painters tape on my fender to protect the paint around the taillights. It should take about an hour to do.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I replaced my license plate bracket with a curved one and removed the original bracket with reflector. As others have said, it was tight, but it is possible. I put the bike on a lift, so that helped a lot, but it is possible if you lay down and work that way. Even an inexpensive lift is worth its weight in gold, if you don't have one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Got it off laying under it and taking the whole turn signal assembly off. A bit of a pain in the ass and involved me having to buy a new "svelte" smaller ratchet but I figured it would come in handy anyway.

Major visual improvement taking that ugly thing off!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.