Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any right ups on removal of inner fairing on a Rushmore. I have a guy who can paint it but the dealership want a sh.. ton to take it off. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It's not that difficult really. Just remembering how everything is routed. Sorry I can't be of more help here, it's been a year since I did it.

Sent from Note4 via TapaTalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
When you want to know how to do something, YouTube rocks. Seriously.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It's not that hard as long as you pay attention to where everything is. Like he said take pics. There are a lot of wires in there. I had never done one before and I changed my inner and outer. Pay attention to how all the wires are routed. Pics, pics,pics. A service manual will be of some use to you also. Good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
As several have noted this is not a difficult job. Taking picture will be handy when it comes time to route the wires after you reassemble it. With only two gauges it is easier than the older models where sometimes it could be difficult to remember which leads went to each gauge.

All that being said as I disconnected bundles of wires I would use painters tape or masking tape and lightly wrap them together. It will make for an easier reinstall as you will be handling bundles of wires vs strands. Also minimizes the risk of scratching or damaging the inner as you put it back on.

Get a second set of hands for reassembly. One to pull the wire bundles through the second to suspend and align the inner fairing. Once you have the bundles through the fairing and the nuts on holding it in place your home free. Get a beer or an audio book , a rolling stool, and take your time as you unwrap each bundles and hook it up.

Very simple and well worth doing as IMO nothing looks better than a painted inner fairing. What are you doing about the speaker grills for color? Staying with black? I am not a big Kuryakyn fan but they make a VERY nice gloss black Road glide speaker grille that will match the high gloss finish on your painted inner (assuming your going with a Gloss and not matte or denim finish)

I also agree with the comment to make sure you have the service manual available. You may not need it but it is good to have in case you need to confirm something

·
Registered
454 Posts
As several have noted this is not a difficult job. Taking picture will be handy when it comes time to route the wires after you reassemble it. With only two gauges it is easier than the older models where sometimes it could be difficult to remember which leads went to each gauge.

All that being said as I disconnected bundles of wires I would use painters tape or masking tape and lightly wrap them together. It will make for an easier reinstall as you will be handling bundles of wires vs strands. Also minimizes the risk of scratching or damaging the inner as you put it back on.

Get a second set of hands for reassembly. One to pull the wire bundles through the second to suspend and align the inner fairing. Once you have the bundles through the fairing and the nuts on holding it in place your home free. Get a beer or an audio book , a rolling stool, and take your time as you unwrap each bundles and hook it up.

Very simple and well worth doing as IMO nothing looks better than a painted inner fairing. What are you doing about the speaker grills for color? Staying with black? I am not a big Kuryakyn fan but they make a VERY nice gloss black Road glide speaker grille that will match the high gloss finish on your painted inner (assuming your going with a Gloss and not matte or denim finish)

I also agree with the comment to make sure you have the service manual available. You may not need it but it is good to have in case you need to confirm something
What he said, 1+++
:wink:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I watched that one but it's not the correct year. Have points at dealership that will cover removal and reinstall of fairing. I will just have them do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts