Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I are, and at this point about 12 other bikes are going to do a 10 day loop to Victoria BC leaving Friday the 27th of July.

Here is the map and our stops for each day. Looks like about 1900 miles or so depending on any side roads excursions we take. We are going to spend two days in Victoria BC.

All the area north of Bend is new to me so any input or cool stops, vistas, ect... any one has would be greatly appreciated.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213882552450903054308.0004bede79a547f07a8b5&msa=0

Thanks in advacne for any input...

R/

Jack

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Are you taking the Anacortes ferry to and from Victoria or will you be riding the mainland? If riding the mainland PM me. I'm sure a sightseeing ride can be planned

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well coming up from Portland on I5 you can take a small 52 mile detour or so on Route 504 and visit the Johnston Ridge Observatory over looking Mt. St. Helens. Also it looks like when you hit I84 in Oregon you will pass by Multnomah Falls. It's a pretty large waterfall and worth a short hour stop or so.

You got 101 covered, thats some beautiful road, the bridge between Washington and Oregon is a cool ride also.

Looks like your gonna have a fun ride, this after you come to SWII :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brent376,
We are planning on taking the Ferry as several of the female passengers insisted that it is a must. I was thinking the main land would be better, however, we have a pretty decent size group going and would like to make the ride enjoyable for all...

ftb2ss,
Multnomah Falls sounds great, I was just checking that out on the internet..

Btw where is shark week II going to be held? That would be a blast.

R/

Jack

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh and I almost forgot,

We are going to be doing some day rides from the Hotel on the Island.. We are staying at the Harbour Tower Suites.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I might suggest that when you get back to the US from BC. Rather than retracing your route back towards Olympia and then to Aberdeen, you take Hwy 101 around the Peninsula towards Forks and then down to Aberdeen. It will add a little more time but it is a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There's a great book you should get

Motorcycle journeys through the Pacific Nirthwest. By Bruce Hansen

He's got a great planned ride starting in Oregon and eventually looping all the way back. Takes you through WA and then into Canada via Victoria

Check it out. Very worthwhile

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't been to Victoria in years but I suggest pretending to be British and have tea at the Fairmont Empress Inn (around 4PM).
If you find yourself early on the way to Olympia drive to Vancouver and take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Long Harbor. It is an absolutely incredible voyage through the islands. Nothing wrong with the ferry to Port Angeles but it is three hours of water.

·
Registered
983 Posts
When you head north from Bend you might want to consider continuing up the eastern side of the Cascade Mtns. You can work your way up towards Winthrop and then take Hiway 20 west to Anacortes and catch a ferry to Victoria from there. You'll ride some great roads going this way. Hiway 20, the North Cascades Hiway is one of the best motorcycle roads in the US.
It looks like you're going to backtracking a bit on Hiway 101 and this will allow you to not see the same roads twice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When you head north from Bend you might want to consider continuing up the eastern side of the Cascade Mtns. You can work your way up towards Winthrop and then take Hiway 20 west to Anacortes and catch a ferry to Victoria from there. You'll ride some great roads going this way. Hiway 20, the North Cascades Hiway is one of the best motorcycle roads in the US.
It looks like you're going to backtracking a bit on Hiway 101 and this will allow you to not see the same roads twice.
+1000 on the North Cascade Highway!!! Highway20.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Overall looks like a well planned out route to me. Don't forget to pack rain gear! We're supposed to have a summer this year but you never know. Your timing should put the odds in your favor. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Going to say the same as everyone else do the Hwy 20 over the Cascades then straight out to Annacortes and the ferry to Vic. When your on the island if you have time run up island to Parksville then left to Port Alberni, from there head up and over the mountains to Tofino or Ucluelet. Great west coast small towns plenty of Lodging in both. A lot of good B&Bs over there. Long beach is pretty nice and there are seeing stuff wash up from Japan ,so you never know what you can find . Tofino is touristy and Ucluelet is the laid back working town. From Vic it is a good day ride . If you don't have that much time in Vic go through Sooke and get on Hwy 14 and it follows the water around the point and go out to a small Village called Jordon River surfing and Kayaking and a burger shack. Gas up in Vic or Sooke. You can take a ferry back to Port Angelas and then your on the mainland ,go right around Olympic Forest and it a bit of long way, go left and your going along the Canal and getting into Rowdy's neck of the woods. The harley shop in Vic (Steve Dranes) and its heading out of town about 5 miles heading towards Nainaimo . Just past his place is the Mallahat and its got some great overlooks up top right on the Hwy.You can see the mainland and all the (Gulf Islands-Canadian side) and (San Juan Islands - US side) , also Mt Baker in Washington worth the trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts