Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing the factory 6.5" premium head unit. I'm being told that I can get much better sound from an aftermarket head unit. The real question I have is what will I be losing BESIDES navigation if I change out the unit? The shop is recommending a Sony head unit, and apparently there is a setup that control some of the "other" features of the head unit like temp gauge, oil pressure, etc.

I'm hoping somebody out there has been down this road and can offer some input from real experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am also very curious about this!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, not much response. Maybe I should rephrase into two questions.

1. If you have replaced your stock 6.5" HU on your 2015 RGS, what features did you lose.

2. For those that have upgraded their sound system in the 2015's and kept the stock HU, were you able to achieve great sound with not distortion? Can the stereo volume be turned all the way up with no distortion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I upgraded with the Boom stage one amp and speakers for the fairing and saddlebags. I know many poopoo on the boom stuff but I am happy. I get good clear loud sound. I do not need to turn it all the way up to achieve what I want but have a couple times and it was still quite good. I also added saddlebag liners to help with the sound.
I cannot imagine the benefit of replacing the HU.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I upgraded with the Boom stage one amp and speakers for the fairing and saddlebags. I know many poopoo on the boom stuff but I am happy. I get good clear loud sound. I do not need to turn it all the way up to achieve what I want but have a couple times and it was still quite good. I also added saddlebag liners to help with the sound.
I cannot imagine the benefit of replacing the HU.
I had the Boom! audio stage 1 with speaker lids. I can't even begin to explain how bad it sucked. Stock sounded better. I even went back to the dealership and asked them to recheck their flash settings to no avail.

The sound was so bad my wife asked me to just keep the radio turned OFF. I pulled all of that and bought a J&M Rokker XX Extreme setup. That experience will be another post on it's own shortly, but long story short it was nothing but problems. The bike is now in an audio shop an hour away to have a couple of Rockford Fosgate amps, some Hertz Hi-Energy front speakers and some Rockford Fosgate 5"x7" rear speakers.

The only issue is that when the volume is turned up more than 60% it apparently feeds distortion into the amp. The shop is telling me that the best way to achieve superior sound is to replace the stock head unit. I just don't want to lose the features that the head unit has.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
certainly not my experience but we are all different and its all good. I knew I should not have responded....
Nothing wrong with responding, it's good to know that the Boom! upgrade has worked for somebody. It's possible that your dealer knew how to set it up and flash it to make it sound good. I have no clue other than it didn't work out for me and now it's been hell trying to get something worked out.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Nothing wrong with responding, it's good to know that the Boom! upgrade has worked for somebody. It's possible that your dealer knew how to set it up and flash it to make it sound good. I have no clue other than it didn't work out for me and now it's been hell trying to get something worked out.
Have you tried an other dealer. From my reading here, I read the flash should turn the HU internal amps off. You will lose bass, but that supposedly gets rid of the distortion. There is also a sticky here to print out and carry in and tell them , this is what you want. Hopefully you get it worked out.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been considering doing the same. But, I havent seen a reliable adapter for keeping the hand controls yet.
I can't bring myself to pull the trigger. It just doesn't make sense to me right now to remove a $2000 HU to install a $400 aftermarket HU with less features.

I'm *supposed* to get my bike back on Thursday with the amps & speakers and stock HU. I'll do a YouTube video and post a link with my thoughts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't bring myself to pull the trigger. It just doesn't make sense to me right now to remove a $2000 HU to install a $400 aftermarket HU with less features.

I'm *supposed* to get my bike back on Thursday with the amps & speakers and stock HU. I'll do a YouTube video and post a link with my thoughts.
I'm running a PBR300x2 and a pair of HAT imagine series 6.5"s on a magic box. Added a little poly-fill this weekend and the sound is way better than stock and was louder than a bike at the dealer with the Boom amp and fairing speakers. I'm reasonably happy at the moment however, when a good functioning adapter comes out I'm really going to consider the switch.
My reasoning
1. Guessing I could sell the infotainment unit for $1500 or so
2. New Head unit would have built in Bluetooth for audio AND a headset
3. Pioneer head units have apple-play and app radio
4. Adding satellite radio to an aftermarket unit doesn't require a $350 module
5. Pre-amp outs and adjustable EQ would really help sound quality

Only thing I can think you would loose would be the "info" screen (assuming the hand control situation is worked out)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts