Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And all I can say is wow!

Simple 20min job and well worth it even on a short ride today... All round improvement to ride and handling on my RGC.

Why the hell don't OEM perform half as well?

I'm 190lb, 5'8 and 31"inseam... Flat foot and oh so happy!

$479 off EBay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
rear shocks

Hey, have any of you run 2 up with the new shocks?? I'm reluctant to change out the air shocks on my 0-11 RGC as I do the tour pack thing now and mostly ride with the wife. I wouldn't say we bottom out all the time, and I know the bike is lower in the back , AKA street glide , but we do get a nice bump now and then. do the other shocks you guys are talking about , take care of this ? or havn't anyone ridden 2 up yet?? thanks
Jerry in wisconsin

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I just put the 940s on our '11 RGU, and have ridden a couple hundred miles 2-up. I'm 250+, wife is not petite, and I'm finding that the shocks have plenty of load carrying capacity. I started with 6 turns of preload, after the first ride I dropped it back to 3 turns, and am thinking I could drop even further. The ride is very good and we have not bottomed out yet, even over a couple of nasty sets of RR tracks that we've come to respect for their roughness.

I will say that I don't think there's as much difference in the ride on this bike as there was between the stock shocks and Progressive 440's we had on our '01 Ultra. I think the air shocks are better now than they used to be so the gap has narrowed a bit.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Have any of you changed to the 940's to lower the bike 1 inch and left the front alone. If so how did it work out.
I am at my limit on inseam stock ok when 1 up but with wife and gear on the bike I need a little bit more inseam to support the bike.
years maybe catching up on me a bit.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Have any of you changed to the 940's to lower the bike 1 inch and left the front alone. If so how did it work out.
I am at my limit on inseam stock ok when 1 up but with wife and gear on the bike I need a little bit more inseam to support the bike.
years maybe catching up on me a bit.
I did and it is fine I have no intention of lowering the front. I am 5'10" normal build.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I did and it is fine I have no intention of lowering the front. I am 5'10" normal build.
Thanks for the reply. I am fine with the bike and seat just need a little more of my own body weight on the ground when stopped two up and loaded down.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am fine with the bike and seat just need a little more of my own body weight on the ground when stopped two up and loaded down.
Which model do you ride/ The 940 are a 13" shock that sits at the 12" height which is the exact same as the FLTRX . So if your riding a Custom these will not lower you. If your ride a Ultra or an older FLTR they will lower you the same as the Custom or the Street Glide (both have 12" shocks)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Which model do you ride/ The 940 are a 13" shock that sits at the 12" height which is the exact same as the FLTRX . So if your riding a Custom these will not lower you. If your ride a Ultra or an older FLTR they will lower you the same as the Custom or the Street Glide (both have 12" shocks)
RGU an inch would work for me

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
RGU, The stock air shock are fine for me 1 up or two up
I just need to get a little better footing when two up

·
Registered
781 Posts
Once you go to 940's you'll wonder why you put it off. Their night and day compared to the stock ride.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Gave up thinking about it . Just ordered the 940's.
Will see how it goes. 1 inch should give me the footing I want on the RGU.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think that was and will be for you a good decision. It was for me. I himed and hawed for a while before I bought. At one time, I thought my air shocks work just fine. But I'm really glad I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Installed the 940's today ,took it for a ride. So far I not willing to say they ride any better or worst than the stock air shocks .
They did give me that inch I was looking for.
So 489 dollars well spent.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Installed the 940's today ,took it for a ride. So far I not willing to say they ride any better or worst than the stock air shocks .
you need to set the sag to make them feel thier best.

·
Registered
614 Posts
let them break in for a few hundred miles and then properly set the preload for sag. If your a solo rider under 220 lbs the stock springs will be a little stiff for you as well and a spring change may make a big difference.

They definately are an improvement over the stock shocks IMO, Small bumps and potholes are not felt, at higher speeds bumps dont have the same tendancy to feel like they want to throw me off the seat. And the over all high speed handling feels more planted

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
About 500 miles on the 940's now. I went from zero turns to two turns . Improvement from zero turns.
I happy with them just not ready to say they ride any better .
I am a light weight so that nay have something to do with it.
The lower footing is nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts