Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be replacing my bars soon. Was thinking of replacing the riser bushings since I'll already have things apart. Easy thing to do on a 15 RG?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
on my 16 RGS, when I changed my bars I also changed the bushings and it was a simple project. I went with the Arlen Ness Polyurethane Riser Bushing. Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes easy enough on a 15 RG and in my opinion is something that should definitely be done.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Just don't do like I did...My wife came out to chit chat and I put the bars on and forgot to do the bushings...even though I picked them up and moved them closer to the bike.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I just did mine with the F47 bars I installed. Picked up the Drag Specialties poly bushings. The fit was pretty snug with the metal sleeve intalled in the bushings so I had to use a long bolt with nut and large washers to draw them together before the final assembly. Bars feel super solid now.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get the left side bottom bolt started easy enough, just not a lot of room to move. will have to pick up a long extension so I can get it tight enough.

My problem is getting the right one started ( have it out, can't seem to get it back in) with that mess of wires running along the frame. Any tips? I gave up for the night. Will take another go at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I can get the left side bottom bolt started easy enough, just not a lot of room to move. will have to pick up a long extension so I can get it tight enough.

My problem is getting the right one started ( have it out, can't seem to get it back in) with that mess of wires running along the frame. Any tips? I gave up for the night. Will take another go at it tomorrow.
If you got the left side riser bolt in then just turn the handlebars left and use the fork lock to help keep the handlebars in place while you install that side. I used a torque wrench for the final tightening on mine and only had to use a short 3" extension. Did you get poly bushings installed?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Use dawn dish soap.for the assembly. Everything will slide together nicely. If you dry fit everything it will be a struggle.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get poly bushings installed?
I went with the arlen ness polys.

Thanks for the tips. Going to try again this afternoon after work. This has turned into a task way harder than it should've. Murphy's Law is in effect. And not just with this bushing bolt problem.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I went with the arlen ness polys.

Thanks for the tips. Going to try again this afternoon after work. This has turned into a task way harder than it should've. Murphy's Law is in effect. And not just with this bushing bolt problem.
Not to throw a wrench in your install, but to add a part you may want to acquire. Sorry I didn't think of this on my first post. Poly bushings compress less than rubber, so the original bolts will not have the same amount of thread contact with the lower risers. The Harley kits come with new bolts that are slightly longer to make up for this lack of compression. I installed the original bolts first on my install and saw there was much less thread engagement. I bought the Harley bolts, (part# 12600119 qty. 2), which also have a thread locking patch. After installing those, they were just about flush with the handlebar cradle on the lower risers. Definitely a whole lot more engagement.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I did notice when i got the left one snug it didn't seem as deep. Didn't want to go too tight so i could line up the right side. Which is the one giving me a headache. Maybe the longer bolt will help line up better.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Thanks. I did notice when i got the left one snug it didn't seem as deep. Didn't want to go too tight so i could line up the right side. Which is the one giving me a headache. Maybe the longer bolt will help line up better.
The new bolts did help make it a little easier. Make sure you torque them to specification if possible and recheck them again a short while later just in case the poly settles a little. This will happen with rubber, but is less likely with the poly, but to be safe I would recheck them. Torque spec is 30-40 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bolts have been ordered. Apparently the closest dealership to have them in stock is in California. As much as I liked visiting there, don't think I can make it there and back by 6 am for work tomorrow :grin:

This shall be my cooling off period. Go back to it with a clear head:laugh:

·
Registered
612 Posts
on my 16 RGS, when I changed my bars I also changed the bushings and it was a simple project. I went with the Arlen Ness Polyurethane Riser Bushing. Good luck.
The Arlen Ness bushings are actually my favorite. While the HD bushings are good came with new longer bolts i would of liked the bolts a little longer and the bushings to be a bit firmer. Don't get me wrong i have been using them for over a year now with no troubles.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're in. Put the bolt through the bottom bushing first then slip the whole thing in, then slip the sleve and top half on. Derp.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
They aren't much longer, but maybe by 2 or 3 threads. Simply putting them in the bushing before sliding them into place made all the difference. The only other problem I had after that was getting that little silver horseshoe under the ignition back in. Got it though with the right combination of swear words. Thanks for the help. Pics of new bars, mirrors, grips, levers soon.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Good deal brother! Glad you can be onto bigger and better things, can't wait to see the results. I know the difference in bolts was small, but it made a big difference with the thread contact on my install, plus it has that awesome locking compound patch on each bolt that is included free with purchase!

·
Registered
11 Posts
What was the part# for the longer bolts? Are they a Harley Part? My 14" factory 47's will be here in a few weeks and I want to have everything in hand ready to go! I'm goin to order the Arlen Ness riser bushings too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts