Road Glide banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I replaced inner fairing bracket recently. When putting everything back together I noticed that the turn signal mounts don't line up like they did before. I'm curious if there was some change in that bracket; the original was '98 I'm not sure what the replacement is, I got it used.

I'd read on the forum that there was a slight angle change in fairing mounting bracket and I'm wondering when it changed so that I can maybe try using the turn signal mounting hardware for that year.:confused:

...then I thought about going bracket-less on the turn signals but would have to read up on what that entails.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping for feedback/on any of the above rambling. The plan was to have her ready for when the weather broke so I can drop her off in the shop for a mild stage II upgrade.

...off to read about bracket-less turn signals.

Many thanks and best regards,
-D

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
98' to bracketless ? if the inner fairing matches the outer, it's the front alignment (facing) which pulls the outer in after hooked that counts. The turn signals (running lights) attach to (machined) the crash bar bracket, right? can always put a cosmetic filler there

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, reds4, the signals attach to the crash bar and yes the inner and outer are matching (they still fit together perfectly). It "feels" pretty solid once the outer is on the hooks and the two fairing are screwed together however that brace on the crash bar looks, to me, a bit beefy to be purely cosmetic so I figured I throw it out to folks who know more. Thanks for the input! Guess it's time to start researching for alternatives while the thread collects more information.

I did find a thread about leaving the inner fairing a bit loose for last minute fitment before locking everything down. I'll have a look at how much wiggle room there is this weekend before I abandon the turn signal mounting hardware entirely.

Again, thanks!
-D

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I have a set of "Ghost Brackets" that allow you to eliminate the crash bar (Thus the brackets.....look at Hell's Foundry- they look like the ones they sell). They attach to the frame at the tank mounts and to the inner fairing where the light's mount thru.
Make sure you have the lights and the brackets on the correct sides
(The lamp bases and brackets are to be on certain sides.....look inside the bases and for the brackets- towards the top between the bolt holes, there is an inset....there is a part # followed by a L or a R there....).

If you still can't get them to line up- PM and I'll work you a good deal on the ghost brackets.....they can be used with or without the lights to keep the fairing steady.....

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
If your new bracket was 09 and earlier then everything should fit, if it is 2010 and later the inner and outer will mate together OK but your side fairing support mounts won't work because they are not tall enough.
If the stock side fairing support mounts are real close then you just need to loosen up the 2 bolts holding the main fairing support to the frame and loosen the 4 bolts that hold the inner fairing to the main support then you can tilt and raise/lower the inner fairing until everything lines up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ironmark: Thanks! That sounds like the issue, the fairing support mounts are just a bit too short on either side (1/2" or so) and the outer fits but took a little bit of work. I'm anxious to ride and see what effect (if any) the new inner mount bracket has on the ride/wind.

I'm thinking I might as well go with the ghost brackets as it will allow me to use vented lowers; which I'd like to do at some point anyway. Plus I've read that it may help a bit with buffeting so I can run a shorter windshield --the lowers certainly will :).

Jetman: PM incoming.

Thanks again all! I don't know what I'd do without this place!!!
Rock on and ride safe,

-D

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
If you used the 09 and earlier model main fairing bracket then you will NOT be able to use the vented fairing lowers because the upper fairing assembly is too low.
To use the vented fairing lowers you do need the 2010 and later main fairing bracket and the 2010 and later side fairing support brackets.
The 2010 main fairing support bracket raises the upper fairing about a 1 inch and tilts the fairing back 2 degrees, this sounds like that is what you may have, check the part # on the main fairing bracket to make sure which one you have. You can either get the 2010 side support brackets which are taller and have a curve to them or use the ghost brackets.
Others have put vented fairing lowers on the bike without raising the upper fairing but the lower fairing will hit/rub on the upper fairing, also it makes installation and removal a bit more difficult.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.