Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to replace my shift shaft lever. Removed the inner and outer primary, replaced it and everything went together smooth. The jackshaft for the starter went back together without an issue, remembered to bend my tab and then tightened the starter down. Go to start the bike and all the starter does is make a "clunk" sound when hitting the button but does not turn over the motor at all. Before I tear into the whole thing again, any thoughts on where I should start? :confused::confused:

Edit: 03' Roadglide, approx. 40,000 miles, until this, no other issues regarding the motor/starter.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
The starter worked before you worked on the bike so it should still work. The only option you have is to check over your work and if you can't find the problem you may need to tear into the primary again. It almost sounds like the starter bendix is hanging up or it is binding up on the ring gear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe there were any shims but I wasn't looking for them. I did lose a little star shaped washer that went in the bolt that held the main power wire on, I replaced it with a flat washer, could that be counted as a shim?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I don't believe there were any shims but I wasn't looking for them. I did lose a little star shaped washer that went in the bolt that held the main power wire on, I replaced it with a flat washer, could that be counted as a shim?
No thats not a shim. Are the connections good and tight? Are the starter bolts accessible without going back into the primary? Like I asked before, could you have cocked the starter when tightening? If so then like Ironmark said It could be binding in the ring gear. Can you hear the starter trying to engage but not turning over or are you just hearing a click noise when you hit the start button?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it's tight. I can remove the starter without opening the primary as far as I know but can't access the jackshaft without the primary off. Other than I bolting the starter the only thing I touched was the jackshaft but that's a pretty simple setup and went right back together without issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.