Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I added a J&M 500w amplifier and replaced the stock H-D speakers with J&M Rokkers in my 13’ RGU. All I can say is I am extremely pleased with the performance of this system. It was a two hour ride on the Super slab from the installer’s business to my residence so I used the opportunity to listen to multiple genres of music during the trip. Everything I played from Blues (B.B. King) to Hard Rock (AC/DC), from Hip-Hop (Dark Lotus) to Gansta Rap (Game), and Southern Rock (Hogjaw) to Metal (In This Moment) sounded great. Yes… I have a large library of music on my Zumo 665 GPS.

I am actually impressed how well the different genres of music sounded. I did add the speaker grills with the tweeter and mid-range drivers so I’m sure they helped complete the experience.

I little bit about the bass performance... Based on the comments I’ve read on a lot of forums, I thought any music with significant bass was going to suffer badly. That is not the case at all. While the system isn’t a bass monster I definitely don’t feel it is lacking. For comparison, I own a 2010 Dodge Ram Sport with a premium sound system. With the windows up the bass in that system pounds on my chest and feels like it will shake the truck apart. Roll all four windows down and the bass doesn’t seem to punch as hard but it is still quite present. That is what the J&M setup sounds like to me at 80mph on the freeway. The bass is there but it is not punching you in the chest and face. Slow down below 55mph and you will start to feel the bass punch although it is not near as hard as my truck’s bass punch. That’s about the best way I can explain the bass performance of the J&M system. Like I said, I really didn’t expect it to have much presence based on the forum comments I’ve read.
The bike is my preferred method of travel which basically means it’s my daily transportation. I wanted better sounding music while still maintaining my carrying capacity which is why I bought a bagger to begin with. Replacing the fairing and tourpak speakers was all I really wanted to do but I was willing to go with front lower speakers since I don’t use the lower pockets too often. Now that I have the Rokker speakers installed in the fairing and tourpak I think I am good to go for my music needs. I will not be adding lower fairing speakers at this time.

In regards to the tourpak speakers, I think they get a bum-wrap. Even when I had the stock tourpak speakers I can hear them fine while traveling on the freeway. I understand what a lot of people say about not hearing the rear speakers because you are traveling forward but my experience is I hear the tourpak speakers fine on the freeway. One notch of the rear fade setting puts my head right in the middle of the stereo surround sound feeling. I must have lucked out in my torso length to be able to experience both the front and rear speakers.

I had been on the fence for about a year trying to decide if I should upgrade my sounds and, if so, what components to purchase. The good thing about the Internet is there is a lot of information on anything you may be interested in. The bad thing about the Internet is there is a lot of information on anything you may be interested in. When I ran across the J&M booth at the Laughlin River Run back in April I spent quite a bit of time with the staff and I learned a lot. Most important for me was to manage my expectations. Once I started listening to various sound systems and determined what I desired and needed the pieces fell into position pretty well. I’m pleased with the outcome.

Anthony

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a 2011 RGUSE this summer that has this exact same system in it. It's definitely a very good system imo. And I agree that with a little change to where the fader is set at, it will surround you with sound

I have a friend who does custom sound systems who is building me a custom system for my RG with dual fairing speakers and dual saddlebag speakers, so if any one is looking a deal on a J&M Rokker system, let me know. It's probably 2-3 more weeks before he will have my system built and ready to install

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for write-up and glad it worked out for you. Finding the right system can get tricky.
One thing I noticed along the way is I didn't run into any bad sounding systems. The various manufactured and custom built systems all sounded good. It really boils down to what each of us as individuals like in sound characteristics. I've heard systems that sounded great to me but the owner wasn't quite pleased with a particular characteristic. I've also heard some systems that sounded great except for a particular characteristic that may have caught my attention. Sound likes and dislikes is definitely an individual thing. There is no right or wrong answer really.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought a 2011 RGUSE this summer that has this exact same system in it. It's definitely a very good system imo. And I agree that with a little change to where the fader is set at, it will surround you with sound

I have a friend who does custom sound systems who is building me a custom system for my RG with dual fairing speakers and dual saddlebag speakers, so if any one is looking a deal on a J&M Rokker system, let me know. It's probably 2-3 more weeks before he will have my system built and ready to install
Congrats on the RGUSE. Those are awesome machines. The guy that had an appointment before me replaced the Hogtunes system in his RGUSE with a J&M setup.

Well it sounds like there is a win-win opportunity for both you and the person that scores your previous J&M setup.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
My first change to my Stock Sound System was to install J&M Speakers. They improved the sound and allowed me to hear my radio at freeway speeds, barely. When I won the Hawg Wired Sound Amp and Speaker System at SWII, I was very happy. I installed the amp and replaced the J&M speakers with the Hawg Wired ones. I saw a vast improvement and now could hear the music and words very clearly at any speed.

The only regret was removing the J&M speakers. I found the Hawg Wired speakers to have problems when the bass was strong. Live and learn, I guess.
Enjoy your J&M Speakers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first change to my Stock Sound System was to install J&M Speakers. They improved the sound and allowed me to hear my radio at freeway speeds, barely. When I won the Hawg Wired Sound Amp and Speaker System at SWII, I was very happy. I installed the amp and replaced the J&M speakers with the Hawg Wired ones. I saw a vast improvement and now could hear the music and words very clearly at any speed.

The only regret was removing the J&M speakers. I found the Hawg Wired speakers to have problems when the bass was strong. Live and learn, I guess.
Enjoy your J&M Speakers.
Yeah I was just going to swap speakers when I first thought about upgrading. I came close to installing the H-D Boom speakers. The only reason I didn't is I feel for the money we pay for these bikes they should already come with decent speakers. I didn't want to reward MoCo for such behavior.

In reality I'm sure most any aftermarket speaker would have been better than the stock setup but I'm glad I sprung for the amp anyway. I know myself pretty well and I hate playing the woulda' coulda' shoulda' game which I'm sure I would have been doing on the ride home if I did not install the amp.

I'm curious... what problems did you encounter with your Hawg Wired speakers? Was the issue resolved?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm curious... what problems did you encounter with your Hawg Wired speakers? Was the issue resolved?
Well, when the volume is turned up high, the bass is cliped. It sounds like the cone is hitting the speaker frame. I had already sold my J&M, sorry to say. If not I would have changed back. Right now, I can't see spending the money to replace the Hawg Wired Speakers. Unless I can find a great deal on another set of J&M speakers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad you're happy with the system. Before my RG I had an Ultra Classic and I was always floored when people said they couldn't hear the rear speakers. I just had the boom upgrade on that bike but I could hear them easily. Now that I don't have those rear speakers I miss them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, when the volume is turned up high, the bass is cliped. It sounds like the cone is hitting the speaker frame. I had already sold my J&M, sorry to say. If not I would have changed back. Right now, I can't see spending the money to replace the Hawg Wired Speakers. Unless I can find a great deal on another set of J&M speakers.
Ah... I'm trackin' ya. That is something I hadn't thought about before. Those Hawgs must be thumping. Fortunately it sounds like a manageable condition and I see your point about saving the coin. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you're happy with the system. Before my RG I had an Ultra Classic and I was always floored when people said they couldn't hear the rear speakers. I just had the boom upgrade on that bike but I could hear them easily. Now that I don't have those rear speakers I miss them.
Thanks Kave Dweller. I had a few shops recommend I dump my rear speakers because they were useless... in their opinion. I just couldn't see doing that.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
When I have my Tour Pak installed, the rear speakers are more for background when I hear them. But when my passenger is listening, she hears them great. And they are stock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My wife does miss the rear's, that's how I talked her into the BT7.1's and the BT2180 amp. I showed her how much a tour pack, mounts and speaker pods would cost, vs just making the front two a whole lot better, she agreed. I didn't care for the tour pak, that's a ton of weight up high that I never got use too, so a removable backrest is just fine with me. If she can't hear the new set up, I'm going to go with BT6x9's in Hogtunes lids. Kinda hope she can't hear it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts