Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well I'm forgetting the part of the story that I really didn't want to tell but, with the bike taking a fall like it did, I have a brake line that is leaking, I have a dented Fender that it's no way could be fixed, I actually took it for a ride before I realized it was rubbing the tire, actually took it for a ride before I realized that the foot pad, had fallen in front of the break pedal. So once again being an idiot is costing me money, all I got to say is thank God for this damn fourm......
So I'm actually going to ride the bike without a fender, hopefully I don't run into any kind of rain cuz that suck coming back from Wisconsin, riding in the rain.
Fucked up part is I even made the code easier to remember. all this mess could have been avoided!!!!

I'm gonna be kicking myself in the ass every time I go downstairs and look at the bike.
But another thing about the fourm I like, they find humor in other people's pain,
Wich makes it easier to accept. I do love this fourm and for what it stands for and how it represents the motorcycle enthusiast!!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
No wait till your fobless before buying a spare. Dont forget about setting up the override on your bike in case you lose your fob. 2 mistakes made . I hope others will know better.
Thanks puller,
I had already set up a code it was there if I had only remembered, and two mistakes your way off, a bunch of motherfucking mistakes were made!!!!!
I really don't see any other members being a as stupid as I am, I'm fucking bipolar, and I take medicine to keep me from going fucking crazy on somebody!!! And there are times that the medicine doesn't even work, this was one of those days where my mind could not stop racing, hundreds of scattered thoughts, and not one of them could I work out, and I hope you can understand that, and put it into perspective of where I am coming from. and it would have been even worse if I wouldn't have had hooligan there to help settle me down!!!!

High 5 to you John.....

·
Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
234 Posts
…….. I’m taking my bike in tomorrow for the yearly state inspection and will see if they have any extras from old bikes, sold bikes, etc. ……
Checked the dealership in person today, and no stock. Also asked the dude in Service and he said they had no spares. But he was a dick about it and wouldn’t even ask around……

We also got into a pissing match because he failed my sons Sporty on the state inspection because he doesn’t have turn signals. I called bullshit because you DONT need turn signals in Texas on a motorcycle and I pulled up the DMV website on my phone and showed him. After the service manager came over he immediately told the kid I was right…..

This is the same dealership where I went in for fork cap seals a while back and when the parts guy said they didn’t have them, I went behind the counter to point them out for him on the parts schematic he was focused so intently on, and found he was looking at a blowup of the ignition switch assembly. I walked away and ordered the seals online…..

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It's really easy rooster if you know your code number, and there's a way to change that as well. But as for me I knew my code 5 digit code. And to start it was relatively easy with the exception of the alarm going off with my two sirens,
Is actually pretty simple, for me I have to let the alarm shut down before I can start the bike. What I have to do is turn the Run switch to off, turn the key on while pushing in both left and right turn signals at the same time, a code will come up on your odometer, at that point using the left turn signal to change the number, and the right turn signal to go to the next number after all five numbers are entered, you simply push the bike to run and you're ready to go it took a few times of me pressing the buttons before I actually got it down, the hardest part for me is having to listen to those damn sirens,
They are fucking ear piercing, but I can now ride the bike until all of my shit arrives, I have two keys coming and two fob's coming, so for the first time since purchasing the bike I will actually have a spare set of keys hanging up on the key board.

·
Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
234 Posts
Thanks for explaining it and I’m gonna go out and try it.

Just don’t keep your fob or your spare in the garage close to your bike. Else your bike will start fine and you’ll get to a gas station 25 miles from home and your bike won’t start and you’ll remember you left your fob hanging in your workbench. And your wife will have to bring your fob. Ask me how I know……………. So like I posted yesterday, I now have a spare fob with no battery stashed under my seat, along with spare batteries in my saddle bag.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
Damn Christopher… 2023 can’t get here soon enough. I’ve lost track of how many fenders you’ve been through this year. Best of luck getting the bike back to good working order. Next time give us a holler and we can likely help with the fob situation or any other matter that has you stranded.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
We also got into a pissing match because he failed my sons Sporty on the state inspection because he doesn’t have turn signals. I called bullshit because you DONT need turn signals in Texas on a motorcycle and I pulled up the DMV website on my phone and showed him. After the service manager came over he immediately told the kid I was right…..
don't know about texas, but next door in la, while there may be some equipment that is not required, if the bike came with that equipment, then it must be present for it to pass inspection.

Just don’t keep your fob or your spare in the garage close to your bike. Else your bike will start fine and you’ll get to a gas station 25 miles from home and your bike won’t start and you’ll remember you left your fob hanging in your workbench. And your wife will have to bring your fob. Ask me how I know…………
that's why you gotta know your override code. if you knew your code, it would have been a simple matter of starting your bike and riding back home. also, ignore those folks who tell you to push your bike around the parking lot when you find yourself parked in an area that is interfering with the signal coming from your fob and not allowing your bike to start. BUT make sure that you set your keys far enough away from the bike so that if there is an intermittent signal, it doesn't keep tripping you up. btdt. you can't start your bike with the code if your fob is in range.

i'm not really picking on you, most of the issues you see with the security system are owner induced.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Just for information. If you don't know your code. Some dealers changed it to their dealership number.
Worth a try.

Reactions: woverby

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I am unsure why you have it stashed under your seat. Do you have it tied down somewhere?

Seems to me that it's not any more secure than the lockable saddlebag lid.
Can easily secure it under the top of lid and under the lid strap. I dunno.... (shrugs)

....I now have a spare fob with no battery stashed under my seat, along with spare batteries in my saddle bag.

On another note related to the overall conversation: I am pretty sure there is a sequence that will allow anyone to find out (display) the existing security code. Can find the video if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Damn Christopher… 2023 can’t get here soon enough. I’ve lost track of how many fenders you’ve been through this year. Best of luck getting the bike back to good working order. Next time give us a holler and we can likely help with the fob situation or any other matter that has you stranded.
Kenny,
I appreciate those kind words, and it's people like you, they help me keep my head up and keep it straight, I just do stupid stuff my mind screws with my head, yeah I've been through a couple of fenders this year, it seems my bad days always happen when I forget to take my medicine, 90% of the time, my wife can tell whether I've taken it or not, but sometimes our morning starts out fast, and I simply forget. And that's usually when the destruction sets in, I have had this problem all of my life, and I know how important it is to take my meds, but some days you just forget, and those are the days that you really pay for it. There's a reason you got the Janie award... and now you set the bar super high. Sometimes my mind goes extremely fast, I have a picture of you receiving the genie award, sometimes I look at that and I realize that there are people out there that are calm and on an even keel, those are the people I want to hang out with. Simply cuz it helps my demeanor.

Thanks Kenny for what you do, for the Forum and the people on it.

Christopher

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
On a trip away from home the second FOB is on the bike or luggage with battery removed. If needed a battery goes in quick. Also we do know the pin.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,808 Posts
On another note related to the overall conversation: I am pretty sure there is a sequence that will allow anyone to find out (display) the existing security code. Can find the video if anyone is interested.
You can only view the PIN if you have the FOB present. You need to verify and know your PIN prior to a trip, with the FOB present. For precaution, my friends and I know one anothers' PIN codes prior to a long road trip - you never know when that may come in handy.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Not according to this where the whole premise of the video is starting the bike without the FOB.

Llisten from 3:30 on.....

I've not tried it.

You can only view the PIN if you have the FOB present. You need to verify and know your PIN prior to a trip, with the FOB present. For precaution, my friends and I know one anothers' PIN codes prior to a long road trip - you never know when that may come in handy.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Not according to this where the whole premise of the video is starting the bike without the FOB.

I've not tried it.
Depends on the year of the bike. With the OLD ones like in the video (it's an 08) you can reprogram a new FOB with the bike. Don't work like that on the 09-16 and 17-up. The systems aren't the same.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,808 Posts

I've not tried it.
Yes, you can enter your PIN if you know it without your FOB. But you must know your PIN first, like I said. At the 3:40 mark of that video he demonstrates how you can view your PIN (he calls it Security Code) - and you can clearly see the FOB sitting on the gas tank next to the filler. If you don't have your FOB there - it will not display your PIN.

Edit - I should add, we tried to start my friend's 08 Road King without his FOB as he lost it on a ride. After multiple tries, the system completely locked us out from even trying a new code and he had it towed down to a dealer for new FOBs and reprogramming.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Depends on the year of the bike. With the OLD ones like in the video (it's an 08) you can reprogram a new FOB with the bike. Don't work like that on the 09-16 and 17-up. The systems aren't the same.
but they do share the requirement for the fob to be present in order to change/view the code. i watched that video above, and he does show the process how to change the code, but he doesn't mention that you have to have the fob, but you do. it simply will not work if you don't.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
On another note, did You retrace Your route to see if You could find Your lost Keys and Fob?
The reason I ask is that the same thing happened to a Buddy and he retraced His route and found them.
Best of Luck Brother.
Mike U.
Chris, I do recommend re-tracing your route. You probably lost the key at a gas station restroom, bar and/or restaurant; or wherever you stopped. Some kind soul may have turned it in for you to find!

Maybe this story will "cheer" you up a bit. Two of my riding buddies went to a bar together. They both put their FOBs on the bar. When they got up to leave, they both grabbed the wrong FOB. Since they were parked together, their bikes started up and they left the bar. One of them went home. The other went to the gas station. After buying gas, he tried to start his bike and he could not. He had the wrong FOB... At least his friend made it home.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Well I'm forgetting the part of the story that I really didn't want to tell but, with the bike taking a fall like it did, I have a brake line that is leaking, I have a dented Fender that it's no way could be fixed, I actually took it for a ride before I realized it was rubbing the tire, actually took it for a ride before I realized that the foot pad, had fallen in front of the break pedal. So once again being an idiot is costing me money, all I got to say is thank God for this damn fourm......
So I'm actually going to ride the bike without a fender, hopefully I don't run into any kind of rain cuz that suck coming back from Wisconsin, riding in the rain.
Fucked up part is I even made the code easier to remember. all this mess could have been avoided!!!!

I'm gonna be kicking myself in the ass every time I go downstairs and look at the bike.
But another thing about the fourm I like, they find humor in other people's pain,
Wich makes it easier to accept. I do love this fourm and for what it stands for and how it represents the motorcycle enthusiast!!
What year and RG model is your bike? Model may not matter.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts