Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my 10" Yaffee Monkey bars with 12" on Bagger******* it says I need extensions..really? I know some of the wiring might be slightly tight but need extensions? Anyone? These are going on a 17 RGS. Also if I need extensions where can I get them. Will the clutch and brake lines be ok? Man I know this has been beat to death but I see where Factory47 are good up to 14". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
You will have zero issues using the stock cables & wiring with 12" bars.

I had 13" apes before going with 16" bars and the cables and wiring worked out perfect.

Now on the 16" apes I went ahead and swapped out with steel lines and wiring extensions.

I say pull the trigger on the bars and you should be good to go.

Good Luck.

Swomack

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Thanks my friend...feel a whole lot better tearing her down...
Are you sure you don't want to go with 14" apes ?

I would bet you would really like them even more then the 12" apes.

They feel great and look badass for sure.

I had 13" apes and then swapped them out with 16" apes.

Couldn't be happier.

Just a thought brother.

Looking forward in seeing what you end up selecting and seeing some updated pictures.

Swomack

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Not sure of your size and reason for swapping out but can say for me, at 5'11 with a 34 inseam and running a CVO seat that has me back and down an inch in both directions, I came from 12 inch HD Tall Boys to 9 inch HD Chizzled Lows and LOVE the performance of the smaller bar height - No "flex" in the bars, easier to push the bike around and personally, I feel more in control in sweepers and tight stuff with a lower center of gravity as it pertains to bar height.....you can get that "push down pull up" going like you can from flat MX Bars - I am sure I am the exception and don't get me wrong, I LOVE the looks of Apes and had a Wide Glide with 18s that was just tits on a taco......but these 9 in Chizzled Lows have me dialed in when I am leaning the bike over

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am replacing my 10" Yaffee Monkey bars with 12" on Bagger******* it says I need extensions..really? I know some of the wiring might be slightly tight but need extensions? Anyone? These are going on a 17 RGS. Also if I need extensions where can I get them. Will the clutch and brake lines be ok? Man I know this has been beat to death but I see where Factory47 are good up to 14". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have the 14" Yaffee Monkey Bars - stock hydraulic lines all around. The instruction video on Factory 47 works the same for Yaffee.

I'm 5'-10" with a 30" inseam (all torso). The 14" bars are about 1" below my shoulders. I debated back and forth between 12" and 14", but decided to be risky. Now, I can't even imagine my bars being lower.

ETA: Don't forget to change the bushings to polyurethane ones. With the new stiffer bushings, I don't get any slop in the handlebars at all. I find it as easy or easier to control with the apes over stock, and WAY more comfortable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 14" Yaffee Monkey Bars - stock hydraulic lines all around. The instruction video on Factory 47 works the same for Yaffee.

I'm 5'-10" with a 30" inseam (all torso). The 14" bars are about 1" below my shoulders. I debated back and forth between 12" and 14", but decided to be risky. Now, I can't even imagine my bars being lower.

ETA: Don't forget to change the bushings to polyurethane ones. With the new stiffer bushings, I don't get any slop in the handlebars at all. I find it as easy or easier to control with the apes over stock, and WAY more comfortable.
Did you have to use any wire extensions? Also, would the fit be the same on a 2011 FLTRU? I'm 6' tall and trying to decide whether or not to get the 12" or 14" Yaffe Monkey bars, but I hear many people saying you don't need to buy anything extra except maybe bushings.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you have to use any wire extensions? Also, would the fit be the same on a 2011 FLTRU? I'm 6' tall and trying to decide whether or not to get the 12" or 14" Yaffe Monkey bars, but I hear many people saying you don't need to buy anything extra except maybe bushings.
I don't know if I "needed" the wire extensions, but I installed them. On the 2016, it's a no-brainer, as you don't have to unpin the couplings.

Regardless of whether you go 12" or 14", you absolutely SHOULD replace the bushings. The rubber ones just aren't solid enough for the increased torque of the substantially taller apes.

I don't know how much of this translates to the 2011, but overall height certainly should.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if I "needed" the wire extensions, but I installed them. On the 2016, it's a no-brainer, as you don't have to unpin the couplings.

Regardless of whether you go 12" or 14", you absolutely SHOULD replace the bushings. The rubber ones just aren't solid enough for the increased torque of the substantially taller apes.

I don't know how much of this translates to the 2011, but overall height certainly should.
These bushing yer talking about. Do the 2017 have them also?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts