Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 RGS with ABS and may go to 16” bars. I would be replacing the brake&clutch lines and understand that brings up a whole different way of property bleeding each. What/how is the best way to ensure both function as they should or is it best to let a Harley mechanic (an Indy) do it? Yes, I have gone out on the internet, but we have many very knowledgeable members here.

Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are concerned that you can not adjust the controls and get them functioning properly. I would say go with a professional mechanic. Hopefully you know other riders that can suggest a good mechanic. You will find good and bad wrench turners at both the dealer and independent shops. I think most of us know from experience what shops or mechanics we trust. I say hit up your riding buddies for recommendations. Or do some old fashioned leg work, call up different shops tell them what you want to do and see how much knowledge they have on the subject, do they inspire confidence, do they stand behind their work?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Unless you are changing the cables for the look you don't have to change them. If you went with the factory 47 signature series you can run 16" bars with only the factory Harley wire extensions.
Loosen up the banjo bolts and turn the lines down. You don't even need to take the lines off or bleed the system.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Unless you are changing the cables for the look you don't have to change them. If you went with the factory 47 signature series you can run 16" bars with only the factory Harley wire extensions.
Loosen up the banjo bolts and turn the cables down. You don't even need to take the lines loose or bleed the system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nRthn_-q8
Plus 1 on this^^^^^^^^

I put 16" bars 2012 RGC. I had to buy new lines, the pre Rushmore s fit differently. I bought a cheap bleeding unit from harbor freight, I never had any problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With ABS, replace your lines as normal and then have the dealer bleed the brakes. They have the computer program to manipulate the ABS servos motors to properly bleed them.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you do have to open the brake system, do no - for any reason - turn on the ignition while it is open. If you do the ABS will initialize and pull air into the system. As long as the ignition stays off (disconnect the battery to avoid this oops) you can get away with a standard bleed on the far side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts