Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace brake fluid on an abs bike yourself ? On other bikes I would add fresh fluid while slowly draining at petcock as to not let air in.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Some people say they have bleed their abs brakes without any problems. Since you're basically flushing the entire system then I'd suggest bringing it to the dealer so they can hook up to the computer and bleed them properly

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wanted mine flushed as preventative maintenance, but the indie mechanic I use said he can't do it without the tool the dealer has.
Right now, if you have ABS, you don't have any choice other to go to the dealer for that service.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I flushed my ABS system by myself without a problem. As noted earlier, some people who do it at home have problems, luck of the draw.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
You should be able to gravity bleed the front but a vacum brake bleeder is the best for the rear.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've done my ABS brakes without any issues; I used a mighty-vac bleed pump to pull the new brake fluid through the systems.

I can do my clutch and both F/R brakes with a bottle of fluid (still leaves plenty for flushing). If you are going to do your brakes make sure you put a small piece of cardboard in between the front brake lever and the master cylinder housing so you do not damage the brake light switch when re-assembling.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've done my ABS brakes without any issues; I used a mighty-vac bleed pump to pull the new brake fluid through the systems.

I can do my clutch and both F/R brakes with a bottle of fluid (still leaves plenty for flushing). If you are going to do your brakes make sure you put a small piece of cardboard in between the front brake lever and the master cylinder housing so you do not damage the brake light switch when re-assembling.

+1..I used the same pump and had no issues. Take your time and check out YouTube. Couple of videos from people showing the steps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts