Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to extend the brake lines when doing a bar swap? I did not see a guide posted. I have ABS brakes. Local stealer said I need to order 3 brake cables, quoted me over 400 for the cables alone, I didn't even bother asking what it costs to install them.

I'd be looking at going +2 or +4 max.

·
Registered
316 Posts
To replace the bars, you really just need to change the upper line from the ABS module to the front master cylinder. Be careful here as many after market lines come as a two part line "upper and mid". Its not a big deal. Sounds like the dealer was trying to sell you the upper and lowers. If you're changing the line style and want them to all be the same, you'd have to buy them all. But if you just want to replace the upper line, you don't need to buy the lower line.

Don't buy the bull about the ABS having to be bled by the dealer. I did mine and have had no problems, no codes. Just bleed like any other.

The brake line is the easy side. The clutch cable is the pain in the shorts.

Cheers,
G

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were trying to sell me uppers and lowers. I only care about the uppers. The clutch looks like the easy side. I'm surprised it would be more difficult than the brakes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
To replace the clutch cable you need to drain the transmission and remove the cover. To remove the cover, you need to remove the heat shields, the right footboard and entire exhaust. The bottom two bolts are obscured by the exhaust. Make sure you get all the gaskets (cover and 2 exhaust) and new O-ring.

Cheers,
G

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts