Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone swap out your stock lower legs for chrome or black? Looking for some instructions on how to swap out the guts of the legs. How difficult is it? any special tools needed?

·
Registered
173 Posts
same

No different than the previous years except they have no drain holes and require a different alan wrench for the damper rod bolt.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Impact 12mm hex socket

12mm but it must be Total Length: 79mm long or more. On e-Bay they are around $10. Another Sunex Tools (SUN26496). I bought a one piece impact 1/2" drive Grey Pneumatic 29126M that is 6" long. I use either an electric or air impact to take them off ONLY, never use an impact to put them on. It works well for all & is cheap.

·
Registered
559 Posts
How'd your install go? Based on your screen name, I'm assuming it is you I just bought your stock legs from on the other website. As soon as they come in I'll be running them down the road to my powder coater and will be doing the swap after that.

Did you have to buy any of the "special" tools the manual recommends? I just read it and it mentions a couple of tools. Didn't know if I could get away without them though.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
The top cap is a 3/4" allen head but if you are just changing the lowers you won't need to remove it. Also 1 and 1/2" PVC pipe slit lengthwise was really tight to seat the seals so I used a 2" piece of PVC 24" long and didn't have to put the slit in it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The top cap is a 3/4" allen head but if you are just changing the lowers you won't need to remove it. Also 1 and 1/2" PVC pipe slit lengthwise was really tight to seat the seals so I used a 2" piece of PVC 24" long and didn't have to put the slit in it.
Thanks for the tips. I'm replacing the lowers and upper slider covers.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
The uppers just bolt onto the triple trees so the have nothing to do with the forks. They're just for looks. Good luck and let us know if you run into any issues.

·
Registered
559 Posts
only tool I used was my wallet, lol. I had someone swap the guts out and then I did the fork install. that part was easy.
Ha ha ha!!! I appreciate it either way! What forks did you swap over to? I can't wait to get your stock ones powder coated and installed! Should be here in a couple days!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts