Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched and searched the forums, probably the answer is out there, I just can't find it. 2011 RGU, want to get rid of the locking gas lid and replace with a popup type mechanism..Anyone know of an aftermarket product..I know electrical tape, want something cleaner and professional looking...thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Smooth Push-Button Fuel Console Door Release
HD Part # 53919-04A
Check with forum member/resident HD parts guy PC PaiN on here and he'll getcha a good deal

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the pop up one on my 09, want the locking one why are you changing? I would trade you mine but its got the harley hologram.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@METIME - I don't have problems with gas theft in my area, so not concerned about not locking. Most concerned is when I lose the key on a run (which I will) and have to jimmy the lock to open. Rather just have the pop up

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the Harley dealer purchased one and it works great and is very easy to use.

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I like this one

This is the one I use. i like it. Of course there are those that want to jump on the "any HD barrel key will open it." I never lock my bike at a dealer. I lock it at a hotel while on the road, and don't suspect a fellow Harley rider will pull his key to put sugar in my gas tank.

·
Registered
337 Posts
those that want to jump on the "any HD barrel key will open it."
I was told this by the dealer is why I am asking. Not jumping on anything! Just want to know if they actually work or are just for looks as a push button?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Open the door and remove the retaining nut that holds the lock in place. Rotate the lock in the hole 180 degrees so that the tang on the lock no longer engages the "catch", then replace the retaining nut. It doesn't get much simpler or elegant than that.

Gravity will hold it shut in all but the biggest bumps.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Get the HD push button one . It work flawlessly . You can even open it with heavy gloves on. The locks that use the barrel key are not keyed for each individaul bike. They are universal fit. Infact any barrel key that fits works.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@METIME - I don't have problems with gas theft in my area, so not concerned about not locking. Most concerned is when I lose the key on a run (which I will) and have to jimmy the lock to open. Rather just have the pop up
i believe any barrel key will open any gas door lock

·
Registered
103 Posts
As the Kinks sang

Paranoia, the destroyer

Got rid of my lock 7 years ago. Replaced it with the pop up button, never a problem.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Smooth Push-Button Fuel Console Door Release
HD Part # 53919-04A
Check with forum member/resident HD parts guy PC PaiN on here and he'll getcha a good deal

+1 on this and will only take you about 10mins to put on

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
sorry

I was told by the dealer that any key will open those. Kind of pointless. Basicily a fake keylock push button. Is that true on yours?
Didn't see your post. Any HD barrel key will fit in any HD gas cap. You can unlock it and just use the button, or lock it. I like the option to lock it when needed, but leave it unlocked and just push the button when on the road.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
push button from HD as well on mine. Of course with security on my bike, carrying a keyfob is necessary. But on my '06 SG i went to fill up a couple of times and realized i didnt have my key. I asked the gas station clerk for a barrel key but they didnt have one, but yes, any barrel key, not just HDs, will open the locking gas lid.
I really like that Kuryakyn one posted above too! has some nice contours to it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Don't put your key on your fob or your not going anywhere anyway!

The reason I posted this is because I do have my key on my fob so they are always together. If I loose one, I loose both! However, I always lock my bike anywhere I go even into a gas station to pay and if I leave the fob on the bike like many do it kinda defets the whole porpuse of the alarm. Good luck!

FACE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts