Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing tires on my 2016 RGS. Ride alot of canyons at speed so looking for possibly a better performing tire over stock Dunlaps. Thinking of Dunlap AE or Metzler 880. Anyone with any experience with either of these?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Haven't ridden those tires listed in your choices. Have you considered Avon?
I put Avons on mine and they grip extremely well, rain or dry.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I know a lot of guys look at Avon’s for more grip... they don’t last as long, but most guys trade that off for the increased grip at speed.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I’ve tried a few brands including Michelin, Avon, and Metzler, always end up back at Dunlop, I plan to stay for awhile.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I have gone thru many sets of Metzler 880's and they are great tires.

Great grip ripping in the canyons and if properly inflated, they hold up pretty good.

IMO the stock Dunlop's are also good in the canyons so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

41 psi up front & 39 psi on the back and they grip really good.

Swomack

·
Registered
184 Posts
Replacing tires on my 2016 RGS. Ride alot of canyons at speed so looking for possibly a better performing tire over stock Dunlaps. Thinking of Dunlap AE or Metzler 880. Anyone with any experience with either of these?

Currently running Metzler 888 front and back. Coming off of commander II’s. Working great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My experience is that you might get good milage out of the factory tires but the ride like crap. Terrible in the rain, they never felt "Planted" for me, even when I bought it. This is just my experience.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Really happy with my Dunlop American Elites. Good traction and great wear. Another good reason, Made right here in the USA.
Yes sir. Great tire, great wear great ride wet or dry. Made is USA. Only tires I'll run.

Loved my E3s too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The new Dunlop’s feel a lot better and more planted than my old 2011 road king oem dunnys....I had the 888 afterwards and griped like nothing else ive had before or since, wet or dry. They were going on 15k when I sold the king...loved them. Now the Dunlop’s that came on my 2017 RGS, definitely grip well and ride great...the metzlers really made an impression on me though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've only had the Dunlops. I'm still running the OEM tires on the 17 RGU. On the 13 Limited, once it was time I went with the American Elites (twice) and when the time comes again, I plan on doing the same. The AE has a slightly different tread pattern than the OEM Dunlops do. In my opinion, they are much better. The OEMs seemed to follow the tar snakes and would wiggle quite a bit when crossing a steel grid bridge; the AE didn't do that. The AE are also cheaper than the OEM tires.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Love Dunlop AE's Just put another one on the rear of my bike. Will do the front when needed. Great handling and great in the rain. Rode my last bike with AE's in the Smokey Mountains for 2.5 hours in the rain and never lost grip.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I put a set of Metzlers 888 on my old 08 RG. I only put 300 miles on them before I saw the new Rushmore Road Glide back in Nov 2014, so I traded the bike in. So I never got to try them out.
Some thing I was told at a party by a retired HD engineer has always stuck in my mind. He told me the ABS and the chassis was calibrated to the OEM Dunlops, might be bullshit, but it sounds like it could be true too. Anyway, I have gone back to the oem tires and will continue thru out the life of my bike

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I was always running g the stock Dunlop's up until last season. I decided to go with the AE this time around for the front mainly because I got it for $110 shipped. I'm glad I went with the AE. Seems to handle better than the stock Dunlop. In the rear I'm running a car tire so I only changed the front to the AE

·
Registered
175 Posts
Michelin Commander 2’s
Never going back to Dunlop’s again. Metzlers were good on my Softail, but LOVE the Michelin’s!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts