Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be pulling my heads to have compression releases installed and have been thinking would be a good time to port the heads. The motor has already been dyno tuned and runs well. Will I need to have it tuned again after a port job? I think it should be OK with the current tune but have never had heads ported so don't really know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I read in some of your other posts that you've already changed cams. It's always a good idea to clean up the ports and ensure the chamber volume yields the correct compression ratio for those new cams anyway so yes... port, c.c. the chambers, and get a good re-tune.

(edited for better clarity)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking the port job will have to wait. The bike is finally running pretty good with my current tune. It was a real pain in the butt getting it to where it is now. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
As the other folks have already suggested, yes indeed.
And then, depending as to how good they do flow, larger injectors may be needed as well.
Scott
Hey Scott... do you also recommend "matching" the TB runners to the heads? It may not be all that cost-effective for a mild build but...

???

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking the port job will have to wait. The bike is finally running pretty good with my current tune. It was a real pain in the butt getting it to where it is now. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Thanks again.
You probably wonder why the tune was a PITA. Maybe because the ports and chamber volumes aren't in good concert with your new cams?

Maybe it actually is a little bit "broke" so if I were you, I'd start a fund for what I consider to be some relevant elements of a cam change, especially if you're paying to have the heads off and in-hand anyway.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Hey Scott... do you also recommend "matching" the intake ports to the heads? It may not be all that cost-effective for a mild build but...

???
unless your going with bigger port runners,the stock stuff usually lines up to where just matching the port to the runner isn't going to do anything(if its really far off,find out why,be cause it shouldn't be)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
unless your going with bigger port runners,the stock stuff usually lines up to where just matching the port to the runner isn't going to do anything(if its really far off,find out why,be cause it shouldn't be)
Thanks. I thought it might still be that way but worried that these newer castings could be different - haven't messed with any builds in the last few years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.