Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the TN-NC area, what a great place to ride. The total trip out and back ended up being 3300 miles.

I left home Saturday, June 9. Stopped off at ROT in Austin for the night (nothing new here). Left for Natchez on Sunday, rode the Trace up but had to get off at Jackson, MS. Ended up in Jasper Alabama for the night. Went through Lynchburg for a tour of the Jack Daniel's Distillery then on to Fontana, NC.

The riding was excellent, I don't think we found a bad road in the area. Here are a couple of links to professional photos taken on the Dragon. I need to sort through them and get some ordered.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0CVY00X0040013&po=13&pc=1113

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK0173020026&po=26&pc=738

Now for the low points of the trip:

Clutch safety switch went out in Huntsville, Texas
Battery took a crap in Natchez,MS. Low cranking voltage also caused the stater to kick back and dick up the pinion gear. This issue cause us to cut the Natchez Trace ride short to get to the nearest dealer. (by the way the Jackson, MS dealer is horrible. Ended up limping to Meridian for help).
Also had issues with the TBW in Cherokee, NC. Found a tech bulletin on the interwebs about fretting on throttle body plug and that seemed to take care of the problem.

All in all, it was a fun adventure.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Western N.C. and Eastern Tenn. some of finest riding around, glad you could take advantage , y'all come back now ya here.

·
Registered
510 Posts
"Jackson, Ms Dealer is horrible"

Truer words have never been spoken! I get almost everything I need from other shops while traveling or use an Indy shop because it's so bad. Sorry for your experience!

Sounds like a great trip though! Hope you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch safety switch? Ok you got me, what the heck is that?
Bike can only be started in neutral now. The safety switch is triggered when the clutch is pulled in so the bike can be started in gear. Not a big deal, but I like everything to work.:cool:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Western N.C. and Eastern Tenn. some of finest riding around, glad you could take advantage , y'all come back now ya here.
I am not sure when, but I am putting the destination back on my list that is for sure. Next time I would like to push on through a little further east into the Gatlinburg area.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time except for the breakdowns. What year is your bike? There are post on the TBW issues in the troubleshooting section of this forum, maybe you should check them out.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you had a good time except for the breakdowns. What year is your bike? There are post on the TBW issues in the troubleshooting section of this forum, maybe you should check them out.
The bike is an '09 with 60K miles on it. The code being thrown was P2135 and P1511. I just cleared the codes and reset the ecm with the main fuse. After a couple of attempts, the bike started operating fine. I proceeded back to Fontana Lodge where I was staying and did some web research. I located H-D Technical Tip #418 addressing fretted pins on the throttle body harness connector. I just unplugged and plugged it back in several times and rode 1250 miles home without another issue. I will be looking into the problem further now that I am in my own back yard.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
All your TBW problems & fixes have been posted on this forum for some time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bike can only be started in neutral now. The safety switch is triggered when the clutch is pulled in so the bike can be started in gear. Not a big deal, but I like everything to work.:cool:
Well you learn something everyday. Thanks.

Do you carry a scan tool with you on trips? Or was the info on the codes from the dealer?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you learn something everyday. Thanks.

Do you carry a scan tool with you on trips? Or was the info on the codes from the dealer?
The trouble codes can be pulled from the odometer readout on the bike, member Ironmark has the list posted in the trouble shooting section of this forum. I normally just carry a print out of the codes in the saddle bag. You never know when you have to get yourself out of a bad situation. I have been on some roads that are very,very far from anybody that would be able to help (desert road between Las Vegas and Reno, Hwy 50 from Reno to Utah, any road across New Mexico, etc.).

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Sounds like all in all it was a good trip. Glad ya made it back ok, given the mechanical problems you endured.

Rowdy

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like all in all it was a good trip. Glad ya made it back ok, given the mechanical problems you endured.

Rowdy
It is a motorcycle. It does not matter the brand, they all give you grief at some point. If someone wants to ride, they just have to deal with the low points just like the high points. I just enjoy the ride and all the adventures that go with it. If it were always easy, everybody would be doing it.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
It is a motorcycle. It does not matter the brand, they all give you grief at some point. If someone wants to ride, they just have to deal with the low points just like the high points. I just enjoy the ride and all the adventures that go with it. If it were always easy, everybody would be doing it.
True statement, patience is definitly a plus when ya choose riding for your pastime. Sooner or later they all break, just sucks a little more when they break on a road trip. :D

Rowdy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts