Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hey shipmate

I run one on my RG. I have spent over 300 bucks (8 bucks each) putting oil filters on my Dyna, and like the one on my road glide. Heads up, when you order your filter, purchase a few of the seal rings. I have 11 oil changes on mine, and the seal ring will have to be replaced in the next couple of changes. If you ever buy a new bike, you can put the lifetime one on it, so it will be the last oil filter you ever buy. Mine was made by pegasus, but same design.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Question for you guys that use these.
What solvent do you clean them with and is it a PITA and messy?

·
Registered
671 Posts
They are easy to clean. Brake cleaner/similar, wipe, blow out with air. Not any more messy than disposal of old filter.
Thanks for the info.. I may look into them.. Always shied away thinking them a PITA to clean...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are easy to clean. Brake cleaner/similar, wipe, blow out with air. Not any more messy than disposal of old filter.

Thanks for all the info brother! I may go ahead and get one as I have also been reading that they use these things on a lot of racing circuits because they actually filter crap out better than conventional. If you have run yours that long with no problem than I think it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Question for you guys that use these.
What solvent do you clean them with and is it a PITA and messy?

Cleaning

We recommend the K&P Micronic Stainless Steel Oil Filter be cleaned frequently when first purchased or when engine work has been performed. This will give you a feel for how much debris is being filtered out of your machines oil and help you decide how often you want to clean the filter for your application. At minimum, clean the filter with every oil change. Remember, oil is the lifeblood of your machine, keep it clean!

Before cleaning, inspect the element and housing (spin on models) for debris. Since in nearly every case the oil flows from the outside of the filter to the inside, the debris will be caught on the outside of the filter element and on the magnet set into the top of the spin on models. Closer inspection of the debris can be achieved by flushing the particles into a clean light colored container. Monitor the debris from oil change to oil change. If something is significantly different in the amount or type of debris from the last cleaning or two, we recommend you investigate further.

Wash the reusable stainless steel filter element in clean solvent, gasoline, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner or any other degreasing agent. You can even finish the cleaning process with some common dish soap and hot water. For stubborn debris, you can use a soft bristle brush to help dislodge particles from the screen. If you have compressed air available, blow air through the filter starting from the inside out, to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen. If you don’t have compressed air, let the element air dry or use aerosol carburetor cleaner or something similar to displace the water. Finally, if you have a spin on model, clean the inside of the filter housing using the same type of cleaner as used on the reusable filter element.

Once clean and dry, you are ready to reassemble the filter unit, lube the quad ring with oil, and reinstall.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I guess I'd be afraid of of accidently leaving a piece of debris on the wrong side of the filter media just waitling to get pumped through the motor. Of course in a Harley Twin Cam motor the oil pump is about the closest tolerance assembly in the whole engine, yet the oil goes though it BEFORE it gets filtered. All of the roller bearings in the motor will easily pass relatively large particles with little drama.

So far I've always used readily available and relatively cheap disposable filters in all my vehicles with no issues, I see no real good reason to change now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Is there a minimum amount of miles needed for a new bike to start using one of these? I had one on my 12' RG but I just picked up an '18, will take it to the dealer for the first service to go over the bike and change all fluids, but can I use a lifetime filter from there on out?

Wade

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I use a PCRacing reusable filter. I love it. If I remember correctly I paid like $79 shipped to my door. Been using it for 3 years now without any problems. Easy to clean with brake parts cleaner. I do recommend buying some extra o-rings if you order the filter. I have 3 years with the original o-ring but I will be replacing it next oil change

·
Registered
711 Posts
K and N filters are $10 and the best you can buy, why spend $150. if your on the road and need an oilchange with no place to do it yourself, will the dealer be set up to clean the replaceable filter or even know how, you can't change it in the parking lot like i have done at auto parts stores, they even lend you a pan and take your old oil and filter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
K and N filters are $10 and the best you can buy, why spend $150. if your on the road and need an oilchange with no place to do it yourself, will the dealer be set up to clean the replaceable filter or even know how, you can't change it in the parking lot like i have done at auto parts stores, they even lend you a pan and take your old oil and filter.
If a dealer doesn't know to clean a filter they shall close right away.

Envoyé de mon LG-H831 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My 2cents, Every helicopter in the US army inventory uses stainless steel reusable oil filters and fuel filters in their turbine engines and transmissions. Depending on your desires, you can spend from 50.00 to 300.00 on one for your bike. If you follow the MoCo's recommendation of changing the life blood every 5k, a 150.00 oil filter will pay for itself in 75000 miles if comparing it to a 10.00 fram replacement filter, (15 oil changes) so the cost savings is up to you and how much you ride.

At this point, I have just over 70k on my '13 and am probably going to have to put another 75k on her before either my wife dies and I can get another one, or she loses her mind when we ride an '18 thru the alps this year and she makes me upgrade to an M8.

Either way I think if I bought a new one, at the first oil change I'd put the reusable one on. Right now, still on the fence about the cost. As far as their reliability, I have over 10k flight hours in mostly Hueys and Chinooks, the oldest surviving airframes in the inventory, and have never experienced a catastrophic engine or xmsn failure due to poor filtration.

Ride free!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I choose convenience over hassle it's so much easier to just toss a oil filter the clean one. I use HD oil filters and they work great and if I ever go on a road trip I could stop and have the oil changed with no problems. Of course I always change the fluids before going on a long road trip and I use full synthetic oil which is good for 7,000 to 10,000 miles so there is no need to change oil on a road trip. If you don't believe that you can get that kind of miles between oil changes on full synthetic oil just send your used oil out for a analysis the next time you do a oil change.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Is there a minimum amount of miles needed for a new bike to start using one of these? I had one on my 12' RG but I just picked up an '18, will take it to the dealer for the first service to go over the bike and change all fluids, but can I use a lifetime filter from there on out?

Wade
It might void the powertrain warranty on that fancy M8.!!! lololol...JK!! Congrats!!

I have thought about this before, reading about how "normal" filters have a bypass at startup and can let debris through, where these dont...but I figure if folks are getting 50K or more with the disposable, good enough for me...

I use K&N casue they are easier to get off...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts