Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright everyone first time really doing a right up on a product but figured I would take a crack at it.

I purchased a 2010 roady about a month ago coming off a 2007 street glide. I told myself I was not gonna get crazy with this one, but we all know how that goes. I bought a pretty aggressive exhaust from martin bros that I had to make a baffle for and it ended up leaning the bike out to much. My options were: SERT, PCV, ThunderMax, a slew of crapy controlers ie. arlen ness, vance and hines, etc. All that do a good job none the less just hit a different part of the market with each item. I opted for a Daytona Twin Tec II. I commute to Daytona Beach for work everyday, and I am actually two doors from the manufacturing facility. None the less i received many great reviews on the product.

First off, the Twin Tec is about a hundred dollars cheaper then the PCv. Main difference is the map download. PCv is via laptop USB, Twin Tec via manual entry. Funny thing is save a hundred dollars and you can actually use any PCv tune off of there website, just enter the values through the tuner per instructions that are very easy.

Install is a little more involved and this is where it will separate the men from the boys, and the ones that like digging into there bike and actually performing your own installs. The tuner comes with detailed instructions for a monkey that can read, and if you have some basic concept of wiring and reading a diagram should be no biggie. The instructions say 15-20 minutes for an install, more like an hour. Reason being is, it takes a little bit to comprehend exactly what they are trying to explain in the instructions, if i had to do it again, it would take 10 minutes. You do have to remove a few of the wires from the wiring harness, and replace them with wires coming from the tuner, but no cutting and no splicing; then plug the ecm wires you removed into a portion of the tuner. It is all very detailed and color coded with all hardware supplied.

In conclusion, the tuner works great. I like it compared to a PC for these reason:
1. PCv tunes are able to be enter almost to exact specifications to the Twin tec.
2. Put a 100.00 dollars back in your pocket compared to PCv, 250-300 if you were considering a SERT. Serts are probably the best way to go but, the Twin Tec will tune all your needs no matter how radical your engine is.
3. Great reviews from local Indy shops recommending it over other tuners.
4. You can tune almost any parameter on the fly out on a ride.(depending on mounting location)
5. I have about a total of one hour of ride time dialing in my tune to my needs, I first entered a tune from PC, then perfected it to what i wanted.

My rating for the Product: Scale 1-5 5 being the best

Ease of Install: 3
Customer Serv: 4
Price: 5
Ease of Tuning: 5

I dont know whether this is helpfull but I like to find writeups like this from time to time when I am on the prowl for a new product. This is a product I feel needed a good review on due to the unfortunate reason you have a little extra time for install(scares customers away). Its a great product and has done everything I expect out of it. I also have experience previously with SERT, Thundermax, and PC3.

Have a good one, and ride safe. I hope this helps some fellow riders on the fence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the very thorough report. Many of us sit on the fence about tuners nd read a lot without saying much. My 2010 103 runs pretty good and even so when I pul the camper and I do find it hard to convince myself of the need for a tuner. But I do keep on reading.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thanks for the very thorough report. Many of us sit on the fence about tuners nd read a lot without saying much. My 2010 103 runs pretty good and even so when I pul the camper and I do find it hard to convince myself of the need for a tuner. But I do keep on reading.
You're right. I read his report too and (still considering tuner options) had nothing to add but failed to even say "Thanks slowglide. This gives me food for thought WRT which tuner to pick".

Oops :eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya no offense intended, just like to know whether my info is helpful or not. If there is not feedback who wants to take 10 minutes to type a book for no one to say good write up or, that helped me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think your review was so informative it really left nothing un-answered. But ten minutes to type that, c'mon, it was longer than that!Lol:eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats a great review. I'm new around here and my last bike was a highly modified Night Train with a Power Commander. Just bought a new 2010 Road Glide and plan to keep it stock but we all know how that goes. I was real happy with the Power Commander but was fortunate to have Doc and MMI dyno tune it. I've read a little about the Twin Tecs in the past but it's nice to have a real user review.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Ya no offense intended, just like to know whether my info is helpful or not. If there is not feedback who wants to take 10 minutes to type a book for no one to say good write up or, that helped me out.

Thanks
Speaking for myself, no offense taken, none at all slowglide. I expect to receive some sort of thanks (when appropriate) and you have the same right too. No problem saying something like, "Come on y'all, wake up"... especially when you've done a damn good job.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad had one on his FBI with a JIMS 120. It works, and we never had any problems with it. When we first go the bike, it was kinda cool becuase everytime you rode it, it got faster and faster. No decel pop, no sputter, no anything whether it rained, 100 degrees or 50 degrees. It is a lot of money but you get what you pay for. Its a bad ass product. I would buy one, but i have other items on my list.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Alright everyone first time really doing a right up on a product but figured I would take a crack at it.

I purchased a 2010 roady about a month ago coming off a 2007 street glide. I told myself I was not gonna get crazy with this one, but we all know how that goes. I bought a pretty aggressive exhaust from martin bros that I had to make a baffle for and it ended up leaning the bike out to much. My options were: SERT, PCV, ThunderMax, a slew of crapy controlers ie. arlen ness, vance and hines, etc. All that do a good job none the less just hit a different part of the market with each item. I opted for a Daytona Twin Tec II. I commute to Daytona Beach for work everyday, and I am actually two doors from the manufacturing facility. None the less i received many great reviews on the product.

First off, the Twin Tec is about a hundred dollars cheaper then the PCv. Main difference is the map download. PCv is via laptop USB, Twin Tec via manual entry. Funny thing is save a hundred dollars and you can actually use any PCv tune off of there website, just enter the values through the tuner per instructions that are very easy.

Install is a little more involved and this is where it will separate the men from the boys, and the ones that like digging into there bike and actually performing your own installs. The tuner comes with detailed instructions for a monkey that can read, and if you have some basic concept of wiring and reading a diagram should be no biggie. The instructions say 15-20 minutes for an install, more like an hour. Reason being is, it takes a little bit to comprehend exactly what they are trying to explain in the instructions, if i had to do it again, it would take 10 minutes. You do have to remove a few of the wires from the wiring harness, and replace them with wires coming from the tuner, but no cutting and no splicing; then plug the ecm wires you removed into a portion of the tuner. It is all very detailed and color coded with all hardware supplied.

In conclusion, the tuner works great. I like it compared to a PC for these reason:
1. PCv tunes are able to be enter almost to exact specifications to the Twin tec.
2. Put a 100.00 dollars back in your pocket compared to PCv, 250-300 if you were considering a SERT. Serts are probably the best way to go but, the Twin Tec will tune all your needs no matter how radical your engine is.
4. You can tune almost any parameter on the fly out on a ride.(depending on mounting location)
5. I have about a total of one hour of ride time dialing in my tune to my needs, I first entered a tune from PC, then perfected it to what i wanted.

I dont know whether this is helpfull but I like to find writeups like this from time to time when I am on the prowl for a new product. This is a product I feel needed a good review on due to the unfortunate reason you have a little extra time for install(scares customers away). Its a great product and has done everything I expect out of it. I also have experience previously with SERT, Thundermax, and PC3.

Have a good one, and ride safe. I hope this helps some fellow riders on the fence.
Just saw this thread.

I enjoyed reading this review, I can now save $100 when I find those gotta have exhaust parts or intake in the future.

Any of it sounds like more work than turning two screws, listening for idle and smelling the fuel, but this tuner sounds very interesting, thanks for posting

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just another bit of input on this. I think this tuner really touches the community of riders that just want a few upgrades, but do not like the dealer to perform work, doesn't like to drop there bike of to be tuned, or have to be plugged into a computer to make one single adjustment. I can ride it tonight and feel a spot in the RPM range that i think could be better, pull over, flip to that RPM range and throttle position and boom make a slight adjustment and know right then whether it fixed your studder, or dead spot on the fly. Ya its a seat of the pants adjustment but you get results right then.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Thanks man

slowglide2989, thanks for the write up. I am also someone who is on the fence regarding a tuner. Not whether or not to put one, but which one will it be. I personally looking hard at the Thundermax... Way cool technoligy, and can potentially pay for itself by avoiding multiple trips for dyno work as the mods are done on the bike. I really don't want to send for dyno work multiple times as I go through the mods, and I may have to do my motor work one piece at time.
Anyway, just saw your post and wanted to say thanks for the post.

Rowdy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Slowglide, I'm looking at one of these for my '11/103ci RG...can you give us an update? Any issues or problems? Anyone else with any experience with these?Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same tuner on my 06' RG and i would have to agree with all the above. I have been having it on the bike since 2008 when i installed my slip ons and big sucker.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
im looking in to the twin tec also. im doing a mild upgrade slipons air and cams. im leaning towards the twin tec ll . I hope it will work out 4 me. thanks 4 the write up and the work it took u to complete it!

·
Registered
356 Posts

I've been looking at this tuner myself, as my experience with the PC3-USB has not been good, on two different bikes. I think the extra connections involved with the PC3 are problems just waiting for their time, especially on a bike that will see rain and long storage. Thanks for the informative write up.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been looking at this tuner myself, as my experience with the PC3-USB has not been good, on two different bikes. I think the extra connections involved with the PC3 are problems just waiting for their time, especially on a bike that will see rain and long storage. Thanks for the informative write up.
Norm-- You really dug in and found a post from the past. At that time I did like the Twin Tec and to this day I do not have anything negative to say about it. They most likely have some updated tuners since this post was from 2-3 years ago. Since then that bike has moved on to a new owner and on my new bike I moved to a Power Vision with Target tune.It was needed for me to do my own tuning as I built my bike up. With the wide-band O2 sensor it rides and reacts completely different than a piggyback tuner and I have a live feed to the LCD screen when needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts