Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just my opinion of HD's Boom Audio N02 Full-Face Helmet. This is the one with the build in wireless 30K bluetooth setup. I have been using a HJC modular helmet for a few years now with HD's wireless headset to get stereo music. Since the HJC was going on 7 years, I decided to try this new helmet.

The listing shows the N02 helmet for oval type heads, perfect for me. I purchased a XL after trying a XXL and a L, I usually wear a XL. I kept it on in the store for about 15 minutes and it felt pretty good(I purchased this helmet in a shop in MO when on the rode. I live in Florida and could not find one within 300 miles).

I rode about 1,400 miles back to Florida with this new helmet and was surprised. I knew I might get some pressure points with a new helmet, none at all. It just felt like it was well balanced on my head, even feel on all sides and top. I did not have any issues with this helmet at all, with the exception of getting it on and off, my first full face helmet. That is a routine that one just has to work out what is best for them. I still look like a idol getting it on and off, but getting better at it.

The 30K worked very well and easy to hear at 70/75 mph and I am hard of hearing and use ear plugs. This setup just like the add on setup from HD I have experienced. Streaming music, the battery only lasted about 4-5 hours. Using the bike's speakers for music and using the headset for turn by turn directions, the battery lasted up to about 9 1/2 hours. It is my understanding the battery is suppose to last around 10 hours of talk time, since I do not do that, not sure. I did answer a couple of text messages, but do not answer phone calls at all. For me, the battery should be better, no excuse for it not to be.

One does need to download HD's program that allows you to connect to the headset to activate the different functions of the headset. Make sure you enable the audio boost to get the full function of a higher volume.

I do not have any regrets getting this helmet. On the surface it may seem pricey, but at $550.00 for the setup, not that bad.

This is just my opinion about this setup. There a great helmets out there from all price levels, but than one has to add HD's wireless headset to get stereo music.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't think price is out of line.. I agree with battery life ,I have the HD 30k on my helmet and I played music for 6hrs then turned it off when I got off highway and switched to speakers. Was listening to turn by turn thru helmet after an hr or so I got the low battery warning. So I would guess just over 6 1/2 of music would have drained battery

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Thanks for a great review. The price point is right.
As someone who always wore a half helmet, going to a full face is a big hurdle. I've only been able to ride comfortably an hour at most with my HJC. I will look into this lid for winter riding as I know a new scoot is in the cards for me

·
Registered
22 Posts
When my phone battery dies, I plug it into a USB charger and use it while it charges. Could you do the same thing with this helmet, if the battery dies, will it operate while charging (presumably using a car lighter to USB charging adapter) ?

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When my phone battery dies, I plug it into a USB charger and use it while it charges. Could you do the same thing with this helmet, if the battery dies, will it operate while charging (presumably using a car lighter to USB charging adapter) ?
When you plug it in to charge, it automatically turns off.

Reactions: magilla

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you plug it in to charge, it automatically turns off.
Thank you. Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks.
I need a new helmet and am considering this one. Currently I use a modular with the Harley headset attached. I would like to get away from the plug, and gain some additional capabilities.. I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks.
I need a new helmet and am considering this one. Currently I use a modular with the Harley headset attached. I would like to get away from the plug, and gain some additional capabilities.. I'm just not sure.
The only wireless headset that I know of that will last 12-14 hours streaming music and everything else is J&M headsets. The bad thing about theirs, it only plays mono. Only H-D branded Sena headset plays stereo. There may be other brands that the batteries last longer, but I have not used them. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Reactions: magilla
1 - 8 of 8 Posts