Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got email from rev performance and if you buy a big bore kit they do your crank for free. Just wanted to share. I have seen a lot of builders use their kits and really like them. Hope someone uses it.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
I wish they wouldve had that offer when I did mine. I have a 103 in the garage, maybe I should see if they'll work a deal, wouldn't mind having a 117. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

P

·
0 Posts
run like hell away from their NIKASIL cylinder kits,many,many problems

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Pro what do you mean? i have heard there was alot of issues with their first generation cylinders, but if heat cycled the right way i have heard the 2nd gen stuff is top notch.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Pro what do you mean? i have heard there was alot of issues with their first generation cylinders, but if heat cycled the right way i have heard the 2nd gen stuff is top notch.
I've heard the same thing, I haven't had any problems, I would like to hear more.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have their 107 kit with 12000 miles and no issues. I sure as well wish they had done my crank for free. Damn!!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure about the Rev Perf Nikasil cylinders, but they completely botched a set of my cylinder heads...twice! I finally just walked away and went with another shop that put together a good set of ported heads for my build.

I know some say good, some say bad. Leads me to think they may have some process quality control issues.

prodrag1320 knows his stuff. I'd follow his advice.

P

·
0 Posts
the NIKASIL has been coming off the cylinders & having catasrophic results,not to sat EVERY kit has problems,but its WAY more than they should.guys that have had problems are told they installed it wrong,wasnt clean enough,wrong tune,ect,ect.but NEVER their fault.i dont see any reason for NIKASIL cylinders anyway,no real advantages over regular cast sleaves & very few shops have the diamond honing stones to work on them

F

·
0 Posts
I could'nt disagree with you more.Thats an issue they had in the past that has been long since remedied.I've been running they're cylinders for 4yrs. now without any issues.I know of numerous other bikes with not one issue.Nikasil cylinders are used by a number of other companies without any issues.

P

·
0 Posts
we wont install them,problem was never rectified.still hear too many horror stories,glad you had good luck with them.as far as the "other companies" using NIKASIL coated cylinders,sure MAJOR auto & M/C manufactures like BMW,yamaha & honda spending millions the process,do you even know who RP is using??

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We too have seen the issues with those, but in their defense, not in a while now.
But that said, we've NEVER witnessed ANY issues with a cast-iron lined cylinder.
Kirby,(prodrag) and us, have had our hands in these for a living now for many years, so we MIGHT just know a thing or 3.
Something to think about folks.......:)
Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
I admit I have a pony in the race and bias would exist if I considered my inventory of pistons, CP by the way.
Fact remains that Rev Performance piston kits are stocked by Drag Specialties, sold by Tman and Drago all bona-fide industry performance suppliers and shops. A Rev Performance cylinder kit with 98" took TR to nearly 200 at Bonneville too by the way.
I had some fail back in the day, no rear view mirror now as the issues I see as gone. Same with KB pistons by the way. I sell and use them too. I set the end gaps on the rings myself and with proper clearance there are no issues with those either cast or forged.
Plenty of selection of products that work well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
us,we have our own 95",98",103",107" cylinder kits.we do all our machine work in-house
I just installed one of Kirby's kit with his heads a couple of weeks ago, good stuff. Need to finish the break-in, then it's off to my tuner ;)

P

·
0 Posts
heads were pushing mid 150`s @ 10" if I remember right,should put out some good #`s

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rev Performance

I dont think T-Man would have his name put on the bottom of the cylinders if they were junk. If they werent any good he would drop them in a heart beat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
158.2 @ 10" to be exact, bike is performing better and better everyday. I'll post numbers when it gets dynoed. The 574 cam is now showing it's muscle, it needed the 10.5cr with these heads. Excellent job Kirby.

F

·
0 Posts
We too have seen the issues with those, but in their defense, not in a while now.
But that said, we've NEVER witnessed ANY issues with a cast-iron lined cylinder.
Kirby,(prodrag) and us, have had our hands in these for a living now for many years, so we MIGHT just know a thing or 3.
Something to think about folks.......:)
Scott
Scott why is it that you always seem to have problems with products that someone else uses?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts