Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDITED.......I did the mod, if you want to see the results, go here.
http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg513/DC-3Mek/

Hi Guys,
I've been wanting for the longest time to reverse the direction of the Brights switch, so this weekend Ima gunna.
I think this is a great idea (even if I say so :D) because now I'll be able to hit the air horn AND brights at the same time.....on my '08 the brights activate in the up position and the horn of course in the down. You gotta be mucho-speedo on the switch to hit the brights and horn....difficult to do in a panic.
I don't know if it's different on any other years/bikes, but it looks like a pretty simple wire swap at the connector.
I haven't started yet, but I plan to do it soon, maybe tonight. I'll let you know how it goes and post pics when I can.
Oh, and HI! I'm new to the forum. And I like it!!!:D
Darrell

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the tank,
don't for get the one way diode or youll hit the high beams to see and it will back feed to the horn

·
Registered
936 Posts
Think it's possible to wire the high beams into the horn so they come on temporarily with the horn button pressed down?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,
Guess I need to be a little clearer. I'm not doing anything with the horn switch, just reversing how the Bright/Low switch works. So when I hit the "Low" it'll be the Brights. That way I can just grab the horn and bright/low switch since they're so close together.
There won't be any cross configuration other than reversing the wires. I have to get off this forum (easier said than done) and actually go out to the garage to look at my manual.....of course, I suppose I could bring the manual into the computer room......
These forums are like Crack to a new member!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah I got that, but I was wondering if what I said were possible too, cuz I'd like to flash the bright and honk the horn simultaneously and quickly, but I suck with electrical stuff. Figured u might know since you're taking on this endeavor. Nice mod though

·
Registered
349 Posts
like your idea to.... and your bike love that white and black cvo

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@ LowMaks, that is an interesting idea. I'm sure it could be done too. You could probably incorporate my idea and yours. Of course, if I had your idea as a setup I think I'd have to use a relay from the horn, it could be done....and I happen to have a relay just laying around.....hmmmm.....the girlfriend is at her home in Mississippi....I'm bored......just might make it happen!!!
I'm gonna look into that! I'll reverse the bright switch, cause I figured out that it's such an easy mod, just swap wires 2 and 4 at the connector coming from the switch....easy-breazy!!! Then, power a relay from the horn switch and power the brights with that! shouldn't even need the diode TheKidd was talking about!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just had my headlights out due to a bad bulb, and it may be easier to reverse the wires in the plug at the light. The plug comes apart very easily, then just switch the wires around. Could be done in about 10 minutes. Once you see the plug, it will make sense.

I'm not sure what would be involved in switching the wiring around in the switch housing.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm still on the fence about doing both mods or not. I like Lowmak's idea over mine, but mine is easy and the other way would involve wiring up a relay and possibly a fuse and I've got so many other "Mods" I have to get done around here.....like my garage for instance! And the relay I've got is a starter relay for a mower so, it's not exactly perfect. I like the under the tank tray for putting my relays in and it's too big to go in there.
But with Lowmak's idea if you want to get someone's attention, it's easy for them to see WHERE the sound is coming from. Which is a problem cagers seem to have, if they DO hear your pipes, doesn't mean they know where they are!
Damn....another reason to go Lowmaks' way.....*&^8!!!
I might be off to Autozone for a small 40 amp relay......!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got to go to Publix anyway and Autozone is right there.....I'll see once I get my fairing off if there's a place to put that relay. They have some nice small 40 amp'ers that seem pretty solid. I had to finally buy one after blowing TWO of the ones supplied with my air horn. They were basically designed to blow...POS's!!!
Basically what I'll do is piggy back the new light relay onto the horn relay from the horn power (relayed) side so that will switch power to the relay to the brights (Thinking out loud here)....I should probably run a dedicated fused circuit (one wire) since the light circuit is only 15 amp and ground inside the fairing......hmmmm.......not a big deal if I've already got the tank off.....That way, since the switch only toggles BETWEEN low and brights, I'm blasting the lows AND brights....I'm gonna need an inline fuse housing......

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've got to go to Publix anyway and Autozone is right there.....I'll see once I get my fairing off if there's a place to put that relay. They have some nice small 40 amp'ers that seem pretty solid. I had to finally buy one after blowing TWO of the ones supplied with my air horn. They were basically designed to blow...POS's!!!
Basically what I'll do is piggy back the new light relay onto the horn relay from the horn power (relayed) side so that will switch power to the relay to the brights (Thinking out loud here)....I should probably run a dedicated fused circuit (one wire) since the light circuit is only 15 amp and ground inside the fairing......hmmmm.......not a big deal if I've already got the tank off.....That way, since the switch only toggles BETWEEN low and brights, I'm blasting the lows AND brights....I'm gonna need an inline fuse housing......
Good luck man...sounds like it's a good thing it's you doing this and not me :p
If it can shock me, I generally don't touch it...at least not experimentally. If u find a good way to do this, I may try though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm the first to admit that I'm no mechanic or tech but not afraid to try. Hell, I got a trailer if worse comes to worse. I can say this though, popping the switch cover off and flipping it over doesn't work, but at least I tried.:D

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
sounds interesting but i have to wonder about how smart it is to blind someone who is close enough to me to warrant using my horn.....

·
Registered
936 Posts
sounds interesting but i have to wonder about how smart it is to blind someone who is close enough to me to warrant using my horn.....
That's why I want to flash the brights instead of turning them on. I don't think they're bright enough to blind someone...mine are factory lights and bulbs. I wonder if it would blow the fuse if I had the high beams on and hit the horn with that mod. This is why I don't mess with electrical...too paranoid of messing something up...including me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+1 @ Lowmaks, I don't care about blinding them if I do in the situation I'm talking about....if they get mad about it....means they SAW me, and that's what I'm talking about!
And Lowmaks, I just finished my version of the mod! I couldn't get the proper relay to do your mod. That will involve a relay that cuts the lows if they're on at the time and redirects power to the brights. I wouldn't want to stress the system any more than what I am now....which isn't that much, but really all I need is the brights. The horn is already requiring (or at least theoretically requiring) 40 amps of juice. With the brights fused at 15 amps, that is theoretically the output of the alternator. And with this mod it was just a matter of swapping the two wires at the plug. VERY easy and simple, even more so than at the connector for the lights....believe me I know cause I had connector issues a while ago....And it works great, and if I want, I can still flash the horn and brights just by sweeping my thumb up and down.
I have pics and a video, I just gotta figure out how to upload them to this thread. I'm MUCH better at figuring out electrical than computer-cal....LOL!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, I'm trying out Photobucket.....Don't shoot me if it doesn't work....I told ya, I'm good at electric....not computric......

Try going to my Photobucket album. I haven't figure out how to get the video uploaded....any suggestions? EDIT.....got it figured out!

If you notice in pic #3 the pin has a locator pin on it. The hardest part is making sure that pin is facing the space between the two rows of wires. Just make sure you twist the wire enough so that it will remain oriented correctly in free air before you slip it back in, that way you aren't fighting it. You may have to wrestle with the other wires a bit, but patience and it will go in! Push until you hear the CLICK and do a tug test. I'm not giving you all the info on how to remove the pins as it has been covered, just do a search for pin removal and you should find all the info you need. If you have any questions PM me. and GOOD LUCK!!!

http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg513/DC-3Mek/

·
Registered
936 Posts
Photobucket works great! Fantastic job with the mod...works better than I could have imagined!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts