Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My birthday is coming up, my family tends to give me cash and I am wanting to upgrade my audio. I have been reading nonstop on audio set ups for my 2015 RGS. And I have a couple questions.
The amp that seems to be the winner is a Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x2 and for speaks it seems Kappa Inifinity 62.11I are the way to go.

The questions....
The Kappa's WILL NOT fit the stock grille's, correct?
In additional to whats listed, what else is needed to complete the install myself? (Kits, grilles, etc.)
The Amp does have a mount, so I have to rig something up myself?
After install it has to be flashed at the dealership?

Anything else I should be aware of before I attempt this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hope you have better luck with the amp than I did.
I have the 4 channel in my ultra with Polk speakers and it a BIG LOSER for me.
Its all coming out and I am going back with anything but a Rockford Amp and Polk speakers.

Can you tell I am not happy with it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you have better luck with the amp than I did.
I have the 4 channel in my ultra with Polk speakers and it a BIG LOSER for me.
Its all coming out and I am going back with anything but a Rockford Amp and Polk speakers.

Can you tell I am not happy with it?
Well... That makes me second guess things.

I know the HD BOOM! stuff is junk, don't hear much about Hawgtunes, I read a lot about J&M but its all from the sponsor themselves so I take that with a grain of salt.

I just know that I would like the sound to be better at highway speeds and have a little more kick.

Any other suggestions? There doesn't seem to be an obvious winner on this subject.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Take everything with a grain of salt. I have been running the pbr300x2 for 2 1/2 years with no problems.

Everyone's setup can be a little different. The pbr300x4 seems to be not highly recommended. Some say the pbrs can't handle heat.

I have mine mounted on HDonuts (forum member) plate on the right side of the fairing.

Like anything, depends on the individual setup. Things to remember:
Make sure you have adequate power and ground.
Mounting on top of the radio will be hotter for the amp.
One thing I believe gets overlooked is tuning the amp and speakers for best operation.

Lots of people crank up the gain and turn down the frequency which works the amp very hard all the time. Getting the amp set to high pass, matching the frequency range to the speakers, and setting the gain below a clipping level should make any amp happy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm running the RF PBR 300x2 with Infinity Kappa 62.11i and, aside from there being no bass and no AVC, I'm happy with it. It has good volume at speed with no distortion. I haven't had an issue with the grills. It's tight, but workable. When adding any amp you will have to have the HU flashed - J&M has a sticky in this thread with the right flash settings. What I have found is that the most recent update , 1.19.1, makes my setup sound worse. When I updated, the max volume dropped significantly and distortion increased - I couldn't hear the tunes clearly at speed. Also, the sound faded in and out. Rolled back to v.1.18.3 and problems solved, but has the downside of that version in that AVC doesn't work. For me, small issue when the trade off is having clear tunes at speed.

On the mount, I bought a plate that makes it easy to mount under the HU. You also can pick up pre-wired plugs to make the install plug and play if you want to stay away from cutting the stock wires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had the pbr300x2 mounted in my 12 for over two years without a problem.... although I did blow two different models of Polk speakers. They couldn't handle the amp I guess. I ended up getting Hertz speakers and never had a problem after. That.
I removed the amp and speakers and will be installing them in my 16 when it gets delivered. Very happy with the setup and wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm currently running a Soundstream 4.1000D amp pushing 4x DD 6.5 speakers. World of difference from stock. I can hear the actual music at highway speed now instead of just vocals when everything was stock. The wife went on a ride with me this weekend and she noticed a stark difference between stock and the way it's set up now. The amp cost me right at 100 bucks shipped and the speakers were 100 bucks for the pair. I hear the Sound Stream 4.520 amp is a little better (costs is about the same). If you're only doing two speakers, the 2.350 would work just fine and costs a little less. I won't blow anyone away at a bike night, but I can hear my music loud and clear at all times.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
The pbr 300x2 tapped out after 6 months on me. Their warranty is worthless too.
I wouldn't waste my money if you live anywhere hot & humid.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had 300x2 in my streetglide that I just traded for a RGS for 2 years powering 2 biketronic 7.1 speakers. It performed flawlessly and it was attached to the head unit via velcro. And I live in FL. I plan to put the same amp in my RG with more biketronics speakers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.