Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the key lock from the ignition switch? I need to take it out to get it powder coated.. Thx

·
Registered
221 Posts
There is a thread around here somewhere with pictures....

With the switch in the off position, there is a small button on the bottom left of the switch. Push down on the switch slightly with that button pressed, then pull up. It's not an exact science, but pushing that small release button is all you have to do.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, I'll try it when I get home.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Be careful to keep everything in place and aligned when you remove the ignition. It's a pain in the azz to get it back together if you mess it up.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
What he said...

Turn the key to the lock position, push the little button underneath and turn the key Counter Clockwise. That releases a latch underneath and you can pull it straight up. Once it is out, try not to move the front around too much. There are two pawls on the key that both have to line up to get it back in. Once you have it out, you can see what the button/key do underneath.

While I was changing my fork oil, pushing the front forks up and down to get the oil sucked in, I managed to move the upper slot thingie (technical term) down in the hole, and the damn thing would not go back in. I used a long flat blade screw driver to line it back up.

Be sure to note the positions on the top nut and the two sleeve thingies (that technical term again) if you take them off. They are under the key. If you are not taking the instrument nacelle off, you should not have to remove them.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the ignition switch, I need to know how to remove the lock from the switch so I can get it powder coated. I removed the labelling cover & saw three star type screws with a solid center.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I removed the ignition switch, I need to know how to remove the lock from the switch so I can get it powder coated. I removed the labelling cover & saw three star type screws with a solid center.
FYI, there are a lot of after market vendors who sell powder coated ignition caps that attach with 3M. It's much easier and cheaper than powder coating.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx for all of your instructions. I got it broken down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts