Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Americade, and after 1300 miles on my softail I've come to the conclusion that I need a bigger bike for touring. My plan was to get a Street Glide and add a tour pak. But after talking to a few friends and the parts guy at Harley, it seems the Road Glide needs to be considered. I'm going to rent the RG for a day to see how I like it, but until then I was hoping to hear from a few RG owners. Do you have any regrets in your choice of the Road Glide over the Street Glide? From what I've been told, the fixed fairing transfers very little vibration to the handle bars. One of my biggest complaints about my softail from my recent trip was the on the 5 hour trip up the highway. The skinny front tire and lack of a windshield really allowed the wind to blow me all over the highway.

Any input will help.

Erik

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
No regrets here and I went from a softail which I still own. Bought a RGU in 2012 and will always own a RG of some type now. There is no ride like a road glide!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No regrets at all. 86k on my 11 and still going strong. I had 68k on my 08 when I traded. I doubt I'll ever get a new bike again, just keep the one I have going. BUT if I did it would be nothing but another Road Glide.

Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This reply is from a prior FRX pilot so take it for what it's worth. I LOVE my roadie! I tried the street glide but the bat wing just doesn't compare, for me, to the frame mounted shark nose. I ride a '13 road glide Ultra with a four point quick disconnect for the tour pack so it can come off for around town riding and go back on for distance riding. The wind management difference between the bat and shark is, for me, night and day, and that's truly the major difference between the 2. the frame, drive train and suspension are identical so really only the fairing is different. Now, the downside. The '13 and earlier fairings could be better designed. Taking the fairing apart to work on the sound system or gauges is a pain in the ass and the mounting screws go into plastic bosses instead of metal so they're easy to strip out. Remounting the outer fairing can be a major pain in the ass as well, but there are plenty of tips on this forum to help you out if you get stuck. All in all, I will never ride any other bagger in the HD line than a road glide, but that's only my opinion. By the way, I put almost 25,000 miles on it since I bought it in Sept of 13 with two Michigan winters in between!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow great to hear so many positive replies. I guess for me, it is all gonna come down to the test ride. Honestly, my biggest hold up is the looks of the shark nose fairing. Not my favorite, but growing on me. At the end of the day I am willing to deal with the odd looks for a better riding experience. This bike will be for riding, not looking pretty.

I've been checking out a lot of pics on the site and there are a lot of nice looking bikes here.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I won't ever ride anything but a Road Glide ever again. I too have the docking hardware to remove the tour pack (takes less the 5 minutes to install or remove) because I HATE the tour pack. My back seat warning device loves it and since she has the va jay jay she wins.
I suggest you rent both and give them equal consideration. Get out on the big slab and pass some semis. You will notice a considerable difference between the roadie and the bat wing. I often go miles without touching the bars even when passing big trucks. I would never do that on a bat wing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I went from a 2002 softail, which I bought new and still own, to a new 2007 Street Glide, which I also bought new and I really enjoyed, to a 2015 RGS. Although, at first I was reluctent to trade the Street Glide in on the new Road Glide, I am now very glade I did. The Street Glide is a great ride but I don't think anything will compare to the fixed fairing Road Glide when it comes to a long distance, high speed cruiser. In terms of comfort, stability, overall performance I have found the new RG to be much superior in the long haul.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go to your dealer and take a test ride on a Road King, Electra Glide, and a Road Glide. You will take the Road Glide home with you. If I wanted a Harley just for looks, I'd be on a Heritage Softail Classic. But function is more important to me than form. When I first looked at the Road Glide, I wasn't too sure about the looks. After riding all three back to back, I bought the Road Glide. Now, I love the looks. I would never own anything else for my primary ride. I might add a softail to the garage one of these days, but I will always have a Road Glide.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ride the RG for any length of time and you'll fall in love with the looks.....PLUS, there's no "Bat Week" that I know of.....! :D

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,449 Posts
I'm just over a year on my RGU coming from a EGC. Don't see ever going back to the batwing for my two up road trip machine. No regrets what so ever. On your test ride make sure you get on the highway around semis and feel the stability and control the RG offers. If you can also ride a batwing you will ride the RG home and wonder why there are so many of the bat wings on the road. I have three friends who made the switch, two after I did. The only reason I wasn't the first was finances. My wife flat out refused to get on the super slab after our last road trip on the EGC until we bought the RGU. Now she is a touring animal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just over a year on my RGU coming from a EGC. Don't see ever going back to the batwing for my two up road trip machine. No regrets what so ever. On your test ride make sure you get on the highway around semis and feel the stability and control the RG offers. If you can also ride a batwing you will ride the RG home and wonder why there are so many of the bat wings on the road. I have three friends who made the switch, two after I did. The only reason I wasn't the first was finances. My wife flat out refused to get on the super slab after our last road trip on the EGC until we bought the RGU. Now she is a touring animal.
My wife loves riding with me, and she has been pretty good about dealing with the softail seat so far. She sat on the Ultra's touring seat and couldn't believe how comfortable it was.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Regrets? The only regret I have about my RGS is that I didn't get one sooner ;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
No Regrets, came from a Dyna myself and bought my 2012 Road Glide Custom brand new. I also have 2 cousins who purchased street glide's, 1 is a 2013 and the other is a 2014. The one with the 2013 converted his over to a Road Glide, bought the fairing and brackets while the one who bought the Rushmore 2014 street glide admits he should've waited a bit longer and got the Rushmore Road Glide. No doubt the road glide cuts thru the wind better, but some people feel like they have to have the street glide fairing and most will admit the road glide rides better. I love being different, and like owing a better riding bike on the road. Either or will be better for touring than your softail, but you're also coming to a road glide specific forum you're gonna get GREAT POSITIVE feedback on this model just as you would if you went to a Street Glide specific forum. Rent it for the day and see what you prefer. You'll be happy with either one but the road glide does have and edge on wind protection over its batwing counter part.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.