Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some guidance

I bought a 2012 RGC this past summer. It had, and still has, an unknown set of slip-ons.

I added a Big Sucker and FP3. What a difference, they make. And I love it.

I usually ride alone, but my wife will ride sometimes (so I have to keep that in mind with what comes next).

Last Friday, my younger brother bought a 2013 RGC. It has a complete Stage 1, Rienhart true duals. I dont know the exact model, but now looking at Rienhart's website, I bet its the Xtreme True Duals. Dyno sheet that came with his says 82HP/102ft-lb torque.

While we've not gone toe-to-toe riding with him, I can't have him with a better performing RGC, :wink: - So I have to upgrade more, starting with headers, maybe complete exhaust.

I have been scouring our site here, and the interweb, and realize that as much as I prefer the look, true duals are not the way to go from a performance perspective.

But I dont like the look of 2:1 and it seems a waste of $500 for a dummy pipe to get the look. That leave 2:1:2/X.

So here is the ask, given that I have the Big Sucker, and FP3, and dont want 2:1 or true duals, which 2:1:2/X can most likely keep up with, preferably exceed, the performance my little brother's setup?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Changing the exhaust system alone is not going to get you any performance gain. At least nothing noticeable and especially not for the money. If you are on a budget I would spend the money that you want to spend on exhaust and upgrade the cams. THAT will get you past your brothers bike the easiest. If your budget allows for a new exhaust also then that would be the 2nd thing to add. Unless you have stretched bags there is really nothing wrong with the look of a 2into1 pipe once you get used to it. I was the same way when I bought my first RG that had a D&D FatCat. Thought it looked weird at first but after a short while I actually grew to love the look of it. It's just a mindset and that's all. We think things have to look a certain way and it hard to change. Just like if you're a Chevy truck guy and GM comes out with the new model, everyone hates it at first and starts bashing it and then after it's been out a while you don't hear anyone complaining anymore. Then you see a lot of those complainers driving around in that new model that they were complaining about 6mos ago. OK.... stepping down of my soapbox now. :grin: If you want the dual look the power duals that SteadyEddie mention are a good option. Read some of the cam threads to get an idea of what the options are. Plenty of choices that are bolt-in with no headwork required. It all depends on your riding style and where you want the bulk of the power to be.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, 2:1 really is the correct selection for best performance (that is what i gather from all I have read). I just have to get used to the looks.

And I guess I assumed cams is a big change, bigger than bolt-on exhaust that I can do myself, so I had not considered taking that step. Time for more research, cuz I know his does not have a cam upgrade ;).

Thx

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
So, 2:1 really is the correct selection for best performance (that is what i gather from all I have read). I just have to get used to the looks.

And I guess I assumed cams is a big change, bigger than bolt-on exhaust that I can do myself, so I had not considered taking that step. Time for more research, cuz I know his does not have a cam upgrade ;).

Thx

Going from a dual exhaust to a 2/1 exhaust will get you some extra performance but not a whole lot if that is all you change. Changing the cams to good torque cams AND going to a 2/1 exhaust is a fun combo. You don't have to do the exhaust right now if the budget is tight. I would to the cams first and then change the exhaust down the road if you still want to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
+1 on the cam change. One of the best bangs for the buck. I have a D&D 2:1 on my Glide and personally would not go away from a 2:1 on any future bikes. I even have a 2:1 sitting at my casa waiting to go on my Victory Octane. As far as your brother beating you, if you want to make sure it's a long time before he can just get an S&S 124 with a turbo or blower on it. That should keep you in the lead for awhile. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cams, 2 into 1 pipe, then big bore. That's the order I would go. Power adders like blowers are gun, but finicky and SUPER expensive

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
in re: the 2-1, i was the same way at first. i didn't care for the look. then i got one, not only did it perform better, but i noticed that the left side of the bike was really clean looking. then i found out another benefit that hardly no one talks about. when it came time for a rear tire change, it was super easy to slide that rear axle out!

i don't really have many pics of this bike to show that, but this sorta shows it....

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
2 into 1 is the best you can do for performance, D&D or Dragos will do a good job. A good bolt in cam will really wake it up but you would be better off with a more competent tuner than the FP3 if you go that route. Powervision or TTS would be the ticket.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
2 into 1 is the best you can do for performance, D&D or Dragos will do a good job. A good bolt in cam will really wake it up but you would be better off with a more competent tuner than the FP3 if you go that route. Powervision or TTS would be the ticket.
Good point the FP3 is a good stage 1 tuner.. Once you get into cams and beyond I would go with Powervision... Save and do a good solid build the first time because it sounds like the first time you beat your brother he will be spending some $$$ to get you back... The only limit is your wallet....

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
in re: the 2-1, i was the same way at first. i didn't care for the look. then i got one, not only did it perform better, but i noticed that the left side of the bike was really clean looking. then i found out another benefit that hardly no one talks about. when it came time for a rear tire change, it was super easy to slide that rear axle out!

i don't really have many pics of this bike to show that, but this sorta shows it....
Don't forget about one less thing to clean . :) 2 into1 all the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts