Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for advice on an amp that will fit under the faring and will be powerful enough to push four quality coax speakers. I am not looking for the cheapest thing I can find but I don’t have unlimited funds either. I’m not set on speakers yet but I would guess I would need something in the 100w RMS/channel @ 4 ohms area. Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A Soundstream PN41000D is a good budget amp that pushes a verified 140wX4 @ 4 ohms.
A Stinger SPX700X4 would be a step up in sound quality
A Focal FDP Sport may be a bit overkill, but even better.
A Soundigital 1200.4 is an other good sound quality option.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Don't be in a hurry, research every suggestions and or feedback given to yah here...Lots of good choices.
Diamond Amp
Cerwin Vega amp
Biketronics is solid both 2180-4180
Focals
Soundstream
Rockford Fosgate 400.4
Good luck...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Decent setup
Cerwin Vega B54 or Diamond Audio Micro4v2
Infinity Kappa 62.IX (the speaker choice is important here because the Kappas are 2 ohm with a good sensitivity rating)
If you plan on 4 Ohm speakers I'd recommend one of the other AMPs already suggested

Rockford Fosgate TM400X4ad (very good mid range $ AMP)
Stinger SPX700X4 (very good mid range $ AMP)
SounDigital 1200.4D (very good mid-high range $$ AMP)
Biketronics (I'll leave the comments about pricing empty since BT does offer a discount to forum members and they do offer complete kits)
Focal FDP Sport (fantastic AMP but $$$ expensive)
Arc Moto 600.4 (fantastic AMP but $$$ expensive)

Depending on the AMP you choose you'll have two mounting options if you want to keep it in the fairing. Under the radio or above the headlight assembly. There are a couple of different AMP mount brackets available if you want to go under the radio, or you can rig something up yourself.

The Cerwin Vega B54 and Diamond Audio Micro4v2 will fit on top of the headlight like they were designed to sit there.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you run the sound digital you need a DSP, just something to consider. The Focal amp has gotten strong reviews and is a powerhouse. I have the Stinger amp and its a nice amp. Pushes the MMatts really nice.
Budget dictates where you go from here.
Wevsspot was dead on with his suggestions

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

These are the two setup that are leading right now after way too much reading both here an on the other forum. Could you guys please let me know what you like between these two and also give other advise if you think there is something else out there I may want to check out.

Set up #1
Stock head unit
BT LL Ultra kit
CV B54
4 Kappa 62ix speakers

Set up #2
Stock head unit
BT LL Ultra kit
SS PN4.1000d
4 Polk MM652 or Hertz HCX 165

I’m looking to stay under $800 and also want to stick with a 4 coax set up for now.

BTW I do know the challenges involved in fitting the PN4.1000d under the fairing of the RG and I'm ok with that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not to hijack the post but I keep seeing recommendations for amps like the CV B54 and know it is not marine rated. Does no one care about this? I live in the PNW where it is not unusual to hit a driving rain that can last for hours. I know it is mounting inside the fairing but I get super nervous about running non marine stuff on the MC. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I live in florida were it rains very frequent and in large amounts. Ive had 4 different amps inside my fairing and never had 1 issue.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I live in florida were it rains very frequent and in large amounts. Ive had 4 different amps inside my fairing and never had 1 issue.
I've had "non-marine" rated AMPs in my 2015 and in my 2018. Under the radio and above the headlight. I've never had an issue, and I've been in some downright nasty weather. Not to mention a car wash here and there while on the road.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

These are the two setup that are leading right now after way too much reading both here an on the other forum. Could you guys please let me know what you like between these two and also give other advise if you think there is something else out there I may want to check out.

Set up #1
Stock head unit
BT LL Ultra kit
CV B54
4 Kappa 62ix speakers

Set up #2
Stock head unit
BT LL Ultra kit
SS PN4.1000d
4 Polk MM652 or Hertz HCX 165

I’m looking to stay under $800 and also want to stick with a 4 coax set up for now.

BTW I do know the challenges involved in fitting the PN4.1000d under the fairing of the RG and I'm ok with that.

Thanks!
Egg, I might be a bit partial here, but I'd go with option #1. Mainly because I've ran similar setups myself, as have hundreds if not thousands of other bike owners. Just 2-3 years ago option #1 was about the gold standard if you owned a SG or RG. Bagger bike audio has evolved a bunch since then though so it's kind of fallen out of favor. I'm not talking show bike, parking lot audio, I'm talking about real audio that you can count on when you're watching the odometer click by.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
With those 2 choices, need to find out if the SS amp cane push 4 Hertz speaker effectively. If they can, I would choose that way.
My choice is based on how bright the Kappas are. They were my first setup and the brightness would give me a headache after an hour on the bike. What I have now is much much louder but not as bright and no headaches happen. However this might not happen to egg

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
With those 2 choices, need to find out if the SS amp cane push 4 Hertz speaker effectively. If they can, I would choose that way.
My choice is based on how bright the Kappas are. They were my first setup and the brightness would give me a headache after an hour on the bike. What I have now is much much louder but not as bright and no headaches happen. However this might not happen to egg
That's a good point Philly. I seem to remember your dislike of the Kappas because you felt the highs were too harsh. I managed to tone that down with some manual tweaking of the BT355s.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yes, harsh is a good word for the highs with the Kappas, my opinion. They are a quality speaker that I never crapped out.
I tried to tame down the highs with the HU but it just made the sound BLAH, muddy I guess.

A DSP should tame them down also. I need to see if I owe uncle sam anything before I go and get one. Im ready

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Philly! What are you running now? I actually don’t live far from you (Crestview) maybe we could meet up at an event or ride some time so I can check out your sound. I know what you mean about being too bright too. Last year I put a set of BT Titan IIs pushed by a CV B52 and using BT LL. When I first set it up it was loud but ear piercing. After re-tuning it using the amp and minor tweaks to the LL I was able to warm it up a bit. BTW I to am a big Philly fan (Phillies) and lived right outside the city in NJ for a 17 years before moving down here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Egg, I might be a bit partial here, but I'd go with option #1. Mainly because I've ran similar setups myself, as have hundreds if not thousands of other bike owners. Just 2-3 years ago option #1 was about the gold standard if you owned a SG or RG. Bagger bike audio has evolved a bunch since then though so it's kind of fallen out of favor. I'm not talking show bike, parking lot audio, I'm talking about real audio that you can count on when you're watching the odometer click by.
Wevspot, thanks for all the help so far. I am not looking for parking lot audio although I’m sure I will show it off a bit. It really is all about better sound at speed. I have not personally heard this set up but I listened to/watched some YouTube videos with this setup and thought it sounded good. I also like the cost and fitment of the B54. Do you recommend any other speakers than the Kappas that you would match with the B54?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts