Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone. So I'm looking to upgrade my stereo in my 13 RGU. Some things I do need in the system.
- need to keep the stock HK radio (gonna send it out for Preamp outputs)
-(anyway to hookup Bluetooth to it to stream music from pandora via BT to the HU?)
- I do really like the J&M set ups with the LEDs behind the grills however I do have a Polk Audio hookup (family member works for Polk)
- speaker wise. I'd like to start with upgraded speakers in the front fairing, & the rear TP speakers but also add speakers into my lowers. I need my amp(s) to have the ability to add speakers into my inner if I wish later on
- need to be able to retain my stock hand controls.

As some of you know. I follow a few members audio builds here however with all the information comes confusion as well so any and all suggestions are welcome. I truly appreciate it.

Sorry for yet another build my system threads.

I'd like to stay in the $700-1000 range.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can say that I am happy with my J&M setup....360 watt 4 channel amp, Rokker XT speakers for the fairing and speakers for the lowers. The lower speakers sit nice and flush...looks way better than the HD Boom audio ones.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Putting LEDS in the speakers isn't really that big of a deal and is a whole lot cheaper DIY than buying the set up. You can go with Polk speakers since you get a great discount, (I'd probably go with the MM series since they sound good and are marine grade or DBs), For amps it depends on where you want to mount it, also who you like, examples are Arc, JL, Hawgwired, Soundstream, and Rockford to name a few.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I've really been researching this lately and I'm slowly narrowing it down... I think.
I really wanna stick to a 6 speaker configuration for now (upper fairing, vented lowers and TP pods) however I want to retain the option to upgrade and add speakers into the inner at some point if I want. So this leaves me with the need to house 2 4 ch amps. I want them to stay in the fairing.

As far as amps go. I really like the specs of the PN4.520D however due to its size I can get them in the upper I believe however no inners for me then.
I've looked at a ton of manufacturers and I believe I'm gonna have to stick with RF PBR300x4, PN4.320D, or the Biketronics BT4180. Any opinions or suggestions?

- I like the hawg wired amps but them only being 2 ch amps, I believe I'd end up with 4 amps and I think that would be too taxing.

As far as speakers are concerned.
I like the Hertz HCX165(100W [email protected] 4ohm), JL C5(75W [email protected]), Polk DXi6500([email protected]) or the HW ZX6.5(100W [email protected]).
- I like the RF T165 however it's a little low at 70W RMS com paired to the others and again I also like the PolkMm651's however they are 2ohm speakers and I think I'd like to stay in that 4ohm realm as I'm not overly speaker savvy.

I think I'm gonna go Components in the upper fairing with coaxials in the vented lowers and 5.25" coaxials in the rear speaker pods for now.

As far as other equipment needed...

I'm going with HW adapters, Biketronics adapter for retaining stock handlebar controls, amp kit(any one in particular everyone likes?), some poly fill, and CVO vented lower speaker pods with grills.

Anything thing else as far as equipment needed? Any and all criticisms or suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dont choose a speaker based on power ratings. Just because theyll handle 200+ watts do not mean theyll sound good or get loud. Look at their sensitivity ratings and their frequency responses. If possible go and listen to each of your choices as well.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Rockford T series, Alpine Type R, JL, Focal, & Hertz HCX are all good speakers. Do a little research . Hertz, Focal, & JL are gonna be your best investment. Alpine are good also and fairly inexpensive. 6.5's can be bought for just about $100 a pair.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockford T series, Alpine Type R, JL, Focal, & Hertz HCX are all good speakers. Do a little research . Hertz, Focal, & JL are gonna be your best investment. Alpine are good also and fairly inexpensive. 6.5's can be bought for just about $100 a pair.
How are these as far as water goes? Do they hold up well with rain and washes?

I hear great things for Focals & Hertz. I also have experience with JL's also from my car days. Great speakers.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Lol, I don't have anything JL, though I know there amps are good. I have Hawgwired amps with Focal and Infinity speakers. Right now for the money I'm supper happy with the Infinity Kappas.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you looked at personal watercraft amps and speakers they are less expensive and will handle the weather? Bluetooth module to use, that works fairly well is from fusion I just added aux port to rear of radio and used adapter cable.
Rich
Milwaukee

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
BTW I have 4 amps in my fairing, no problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
334 Posts
My audio system is still a work in progress... Many of the forum members helped me make my decision... my experiance so far.. .. .. I went from the HK headunit with boom fairing upgraded speakers, to HKU, a PBR 300x4 and 4 RF power T165's, I am currently waiting on my fairing grills to get back from paint, But i couldnt wait to hear my new sound system.... With only the two inner fairing speakers installed, i turned on a "Hick Hop CD".... Haha yes its a kind of music!! The song was "cruise by florida georgia line ft. nelly..... I turned the volume up to half, right under the "L", and all I could do was smile!! It was amazing!! I cant wait to get my other 2 T165's hooked up.. That being said, these guys know alot about sound!!!! find a system that fits your budget...anything your looking at is going to sound alot better than the stock setup!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, I don't have anything JL, though I know there amps are good. I have Hawgwired amps with Focal and Infinity speakers. Right now for the money I'm supper happy with the Infinity Kappas.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Well damn. I dropped the ball on that one. For some reason I could've sworn you had JL in your ride. My fault bud.

So you do like the infinities? Which model are you running? I take it no issues with weather?
I think when I jump on this, I'm just gonna do it right the whole way since it'll be all torn apart. All 6.5's

What's the big difference between components and coaxials. I know components come with separate crossovers and coaxials have them built in. Is there is sound difference between the 2?

I think I'm gonna have coaxials in the inners, vented lowers and TP pods. Should I stick with coaxials in the fronts so I don't have to find separate space for the crossovers and have extra room for amps?

Thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I have coaxials everywhere except in the normal location, where I have components. No problem finding room for the crossovers, and I used hawgwired grills and drilled holes for my tweeters. BTW I think the components sound a bit better, but I think the only place you can really tell the difference is in the stock location, IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have coaxials everywhere except in the normal location, where I have components. No problem finding room for the crossovers, and I used hawgwired grills and drilled holes for my tweeters. BTW I think the components sound a bit better, but I think the only place you can really tell the difference is in the stock location, IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Thanks Dbell. I truly appreciate it. You probably get tired answering the same questions over and over again.
I'm sure I'm totally over analyzing this but I just wanna get it right. Lol

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
No problem, glad if I can help in anyway, eventually I may try a set of Hertz just to say I've tried 90% of the speakers people on this forum use, but right now I have a least 6 pair of speakers sitting around doing nothing, lol. :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice. I've been studying the shit out of this audio thing for weeks. You start to get a little overwhelmed with all the possibilities.

I do really like the Hertz HCX165s. I've heard good things about the HSK165XL's but I think that's getting a little too pricey for me.

The Infinities look good. Price is decent. They come highly recommended by you so that weighs a lot.
Like so said before. My wife's cousin works for Polk Audio so I get a discount on Polk Equiptment which is nice. Plus they are weatherproof. Which is nice for MC applications.

And that's just speakers. Haha. Ohh my.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think you will be happy with your choices.

I am installing a biketronics 2180 amp and their 7.1 speakers in the fairing and their 6.5s in the lowers this weekend. Running the speakers in parallel. I'm keeping the stock head unit for now. A guy I ride with has this setup and it sounds great. I had an arc 125.2 amp and polk mm651s in my streetglide. It sounded good but this sounded much, much better. Not just louder but cleaner and fuller. I also really like their warranty.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ooooooookkkkkkk.
Here is my shot in the dark audio setup. And trust me. This is all open to tweaks and suggestions as audio is not my forte.

-Dragonfly Cycle Concepts tour pack pod adapters
- CVO speaker vented lower pods
- biketronics Retrofit kit
- 2 sets-Hertz HCX165 (upper fairing & vented lowers.
- 2 sets - RF T165 (inner fairing & tour pack pods
- SS Picasso nano PN4.320D - 4ohm bridged to push the Hertz in upper & vented lowers
- SS PN2.350D in parallel to push the T165's in the inner and TP pods.

Add in misc amp kit, and supplies.

I think I'm looking at $1500+-

I went with the Hertz up front because of all the positive feedback across multiple forums and the T165's mainly due to the shallow depth of them.
Picasso amps because of size and power ratings.

Also I went HCX165's in the vented lowers but I'm wondering, would I benefit more to have 2 6.5" subs in there for the bass?

So please. Pick away. Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts