Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting situation, the front of the cover has a soft material for contacting the windshield, but, the seams with the waterproof tape scratch the fairing significantly.
Solution - moleskin tape down the seam in the area of contact.
See pic -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Of course and trace of dirt or dust and you have a source for scratching. Have to detail the bike before covering. My solution at home is I just drape two old sheets over the bike. When on the road I chose to cover or not depending on where I am allowed to park the bike and whether I have time to wash it before covering it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you. My bike is black quartz so very similar problems. With that tape on those seams there have not been any further issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
I own the Harley “half” cover and a Vivid Black RGU, so same issues here. I sure appreciate the tip about the moleskin tape. I carry the cover at all times, but have only pulled it out a few times on long road trips when it appears it will be either rainy or super humid through the night. I find it hard to sleep when all the switches and electronics are sitting outside in the rain at a hotel when I can’t find cover. If there aren’t too many in the group, we have found many hotels with entrance overhangs will let bikes park under them so long as they don’t block or clog things up for other patrons. Just have to ask. I also think another key to avoiding scratches is to be sure the cover is synched down tight, so wind doesn’t move it around.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Good info - I’ve never thought about this before or noticed a problem. When traveling I cover my bike EVERY night, even when parked under the covered entrances. Always think it keeps drunk teenagers off the bike during the night plus if thieves are cruising looking for a bike to steal they don’t know what is under the wrapper. I clean the bike every day on a trip. Always carry a container of Glass Plus and towels. But I have to admit half the time I clean early in the morning while others are still sleeping. Looks like that will change to cleaning every evening before covering now.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I got a full HD cover a couple months ago. My bike is also vivid black, softest paint ever, PIA. I have not experienced any scratching or marring since using the cover though. I bought the cover used and when I got it I wiped it down with Optimum No Rinse mixed to a QD ratio. I took no chances in assuming it was clean. My bike is coated with Polish Angel Cosmic which isn't "Scratch Resistant" but it is harder then any wax or sealant, and for that matter the butter soft clear they put on the vivid black
If the inside of the cover is clean and the paint is clean then putting the cover on and taking it off is what is causing the marring. I usually have my girl help take the over off that way I'm not dragging it across the paint. After all the time polishing it out and applying Cosmic I want to avoid polishing again for a while

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pro-Tip of the Day. When traveling never use a cover with a HD emblem or Harley Davidson on the cover. You dont want the bad guy to know you have a HD. I use a generic cover when on the road. I use a sheet when it's parked in the garage.

·
Registered
713 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts