Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 CVO RG and am in the process of installing a set of Ricor Intimindators. I'm having some trouble with fork oil level for my forks. The install instructions indicate:
• 1/2 quart of Amsoil 5W 39-41mm
• 1/3 quart of Amsoil 10w 49mm

Which forks do I have (39-41mm or 49mm) and from your experience are the quoted oil levels accurate? I weigh 240 and ride somewhat aggressively.

I put 16 oz of Amsoil 5w in each leg and have the bike pretty much put back together, but holding off completing the project until I hear that I didn't screw up. BTW: I spoke with Brian. His recommendations for oil volume are that the level should be 6" from the top of the fork tube when compressed. I didn't do this - I went with the 1/2 quart per leg. Brian doesn't know how many ounces are needed to reach the 6" mark.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
you have 41mm , 16oz should be ok , when I ran them 12oz put me at the 6" mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TJ316,

Based on your experience, I think I'll drain a few ounces from each leg and try that. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
198 Posts
???? Updates ????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I installed the Ricor intimidator and race tech springs. The "nose dive" under braking is noticeably improved. The ride is also much better than stock. I think I'll install Ohlins cartridges when they become available. There is still a lot of room for improvement but for the price it is a great upgrade.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Oil level and sag adjustment are critical with this setup. Unless you took your forks completely apart and cleaned there is no way of knowing how much oil to put in. You can only go by depth. Sag should be 1/3 of total travel.
When I set mine up they felt harsh. I removed 1/8" from the spacer and the difference was night and day. Also took forks apart completely and couldn't believe how much more crap I got out of the forks than I did by just draining them.
It can be a little trial and error to get them set right, but, once complete they should be good to go for a long time.

·
Registered
852 Posts
To really do this right you need to add a little more that the recommended amount of oil then use a fork oil height tool to pull out the oil until it gets to the correct height. You can get lucky and add pretty close to the correct amount but the gauge is the best way to do it. Motion Pro has on for about $30. It's also important to work the forks with the oil and get the air out from under the intiminators.

·
Registered
56 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts