Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

So a cat I work with and I were planning this ride for like almost a year. Hurricane messed up the first date and the RONA rolled through work and messed up the second date for my boy. I didn't want to miss my opportunity so I rolled solo. The route all planned out on the H-D route planner even down to the gas stops. Loaded the into my BOOM GTS so all I had to do was follow along. The H-D NAV worked flawlessly by the way. I packed up the bike with stuff I thought I'd need the night before, got up at 0400 ate, messed around at the house and was fueled at the start point and ready to roll at 0500. The ride to the first gas stop ended up being a little colder then I thought it was gonna be cause it got colder the farther south I got in TN, but it was all good.

Glasses Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle

Like I said I had this thing planned pretty good, and when I got to Birmingham AL, I was a little ahead of where I though I would be so I decided to stop at Heart Of Dixie HD and grad a poker chip since I had never been there before. I wasn't in any real hurry, just having a good time. Kinda glad I stopped cause I ended up finding some stuff on the 75% CLEARANCE rack, and I like a bargain. After I loaded up my unplanned score I got back on the road and headed to the next stop.
Sky Cloud Tire Building Automotive tire

Made it to Montgomery AL got gas across the street from H-D of Montgomery. At this point the day was starting to heat up, so I chilled in the customer lounge and had a snake and a drink. And got another poker chip. On to the turnaround point.
Glasses Cap Beard Goggles Sunglasses

I hit the turn around point at just a little before 1400 which was Mobile Bay H-D. Picked up another poker chip (can you see the pattern? LOL) and headed to grab some seafood, cause I'm not gonna be that close to the gulf and pass up a chance at some fresh seafood. Ate that up and it was time to head back home right at around 1500.
Food Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
Plant Tree Shade Vehicle Automotive tire

The ride was turning out to be easier then I thought it was gonna be. This bike eats up miles like you read about.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Made another gas stop and got ready for night putting on a flannel and swapping out my face shield.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Rolled in to Priceville AL at 2051 for my last gas stop, ate a snack, pounded a Monster, threw on another layer and headed for home.
Tire Vehicle Vision care Automotive lighting Beard

Got back to my final gas stop and fill up for the end receipt at 2346 and was done.
Glasses Photograph Helmet Map Beard

To some it up I had a blast. I'm gonna go again next month, just a different route so my buddy can get his 1K. I like riding and I think it will be funnier with a friend, and I can get some more chips...LOL

The bike averaged mid 40's MPG and I did the whole thing on a stock take off Limited seat I got off eBay. The official mileage/time was 1064 in 18:39. My speedo/odometer is obviously off because the GPS on tracked 1025 door to door from the house.

2021 GOAL reached #ride1K_inaday

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fill out the paper work and get your iron butt certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
530 Posts
Cool write up and congrats on the patch.

when I lived out west I use to do the 1k days without trying, because like you, I just loved being on my ride.

then a friend asked me to ride along with him cause a another had asked him.. 4 bikes on an iron butt.
now I know why I like solo…

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,472 Posts
Congrats on completing the ride! I have done an Iron Butt before and I gotta say, I am glad it was solo; being able to stop and stretch whenever I wanted helped to keep my mind in the game.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nice dude. I did 16xx in one day solo. Loved it. Didn't get the patch because I broke some of the rules. Lol. Currently on a trip from Louisiana to Utah doing Grand Circle. Like you started with 4 or 5. One got covid then hurricane. Pushed trip back one week and said so long. Solo!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
glad you got to enjoy yourself on your long distance journey.
life got in my way and one day i found 10 years had got behind me...

all you youngins out there have to make the time for rides like this!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice!
We did 958 coming home 2 weeks ago on the last leg of our Mass to Moab and back trip. A little over 17 hours, and by "we" I mean 2-up. She is a keeper!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
If you are in reasonably good health . On the bikes we ride now it is not that hard to do.. 40 years ago it was a bit more of a task.
Still a great ride and not one everyone will do.
Dave Zien road 1,000 miles a day for 30 days in a row on an 1990 FXR.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice!
We did 958 coming home 2 weeks ago on the last leg of our Mass to Moab and back trip. A little over 17 hours, and by "we" I mean 2-up. She is a keeper!
Nice. No way my wife is riding that far. 😂

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are in reasonably good health . On the bikes we ride now it is not that hard to do.. 40 years ago it was a bit more of a task.
Still a great ride and not one everyone will do.
Dave Zien road 1,000 miles a day for 30 days in a row on an 1990 FXR.
True that. I wouldn’t what to even do it on my Dyna.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Glad to hear that the GPS was able to successfully navigate you down an interstate and back. Whew! I was worried for you. o_O:sneaky::oops::cool::D

Seriously, to do that on a RGU seat is truly a feat of endurance. How did you like riding through Birmingham? They will definitely wake you up!

·
Registered
109 Posts
So much for my few 1000+ days.
That's about 8 tire changes and 20 services!
Support team in tow?

Cloud Water Sky Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I liked th
Glad to hear that the GPS was able to successfully navigate you down an interstate and back. Whew! I was worried for you. o_O:sneaky::oops::cool::D

Seriously, to do that on a RGU seat is truly a feat of endurance. How did you like riding through Birmingham? They will definitely wake you up!
It was more a fact that all the stops were per planned in the route and I didn’t have to worry about anything but riding.
Birimingham wasn’t to bad on the way down it was around 0800 so it was pretty chill. On the way back it was dark and a whole new ball game. LOL

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,479 Posts
Props man! Did it (Iron Butt ride) with one of my best buddies in April (Earth Day). Great accomplishment!

·
Super Moderator
12,892 Posts
Meh. I don’t like the patch.
They have different patches, I’ve done a few, makes a good day ride. When I retire next year I plan to do a couple CCs, (coast to coast).

Reactions: louisiana rgl

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Craig, you badass mofo!!!! That's awesome, thanks for sharing the pics and the write up! I dig it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts