Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In June, I will be retiring from the Navy and headed back to the great state of Texas from Massachusetts. I am contemplating taking the long way home via the Glide and camping. I have about a month before I have to start the serious job hunt. Any recommendations on states, places, or campsites to visit along the way? Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since your close,blueridge parkway is a very nice ride so is Shenandoah valley.plenty of camping.you could spend the whole month in that area,best ridding in the country.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also, look into including the Natchez Trace on your route back to Texas. Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations! and thank you for your service. I retired 31 Dec 2013 and started my new job on 2 Jan 2014. I was happy to have a work but after 29 yrs in the Navy I wish I would have taken time off to check a few boxes.... like a long epic ride. June will be here before you know it and once your back in the grind it will be hard to find the time. Sounds like a great plan no matter what route you take. Hope to see you on the road!

Retired USN EODCM

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congratulations and thank you for your service. You deserve time to see as much of the great land you've been defending as possible. Take the long way home, for sure.

I don't have the freedom to take a month off, but wanted to ride all 48 states, so I did it in three summers. Having finished all 48 last summer, I can suggest some things that were highlights for us. Of course, there will be points between these things, but... east to Niagara Falls. Lots of choices on how to get to Milwaukee, but I'd hit the HD Museum. Across the heartland on a northern track as fast as you can to get to Beartooth Pass, down the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody... West through Shoshone to Yellowstone for a couple of days... South to Yosemite and Jackson Hole...

For the rest of these, I'm not sure on the order they would route best. I'm going back to the southwest this summer, so I'll list them in reverse order of what I'm doing... Top of the Rockies Scenic Byway, San Juan Scenic Byway (includes Million Dollar Highway), west again to Moab for a couple of days (Arches National Park and Canyonlands), US 12 to Bryce, then Zion, down to the Grand Canyon, then spend some time in Arizona if you can.

(I'm not smart enough to keep doing this in reverse, so I'm switching to the order we're going, starting from the Texas end of the ride.)

Not sure where in Texas you're headed. Our first point of interest is the Twisted Sisters, in the Hill Country. From there, we're hitting the interstate again to get to Fort Stockton, then going to Show Low to ride the Coronado Scenic Byway. Next... down 60 to see the Salt River Canyon, then through Phoenix to set us up for 89 / 89A through Prescott, Jerome, and Sedona. Things like this might work depending on where in Texas you're going.

I like the East route, too - Skyline Drive to the BRP... lots of good roads in western NC and east Tennesee. Everyone rides the Tail of the Dragon. On the way there ride the Back of the Dragon in Virginia. If you go this route, we had a great time exploring Civil War sights on our 2013 ride. The you could hit the Ozarks (which I haven't done much of yet).

Lots of options in this great US of A. I'm just partial to the things out west - Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion. Parks around Moab will be a first for me. Can't wait. I leave late May.

Have fun!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. I keep hearing take some time off, prior to starting the new career. I will have to see how much leave mama will approve! Alaska did cross my mind, and well as the other 48 states.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
51 Posts
Thanks for your service and congrats, take the long way home and enjoy what ever you decide. A lot of great suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts