Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
H-D appears to be working on some of the issues! We now have TIME/MILES information between locations as well as total TRIP MILEAGE. The mouse scroll wheel works intermittently, but the SEARCH THIS AREA isn't working at all currently. In the past, I'd discovered a fix to this problem of no SEARCH THIS AREA information displaying upon moving to a new map area. If I "moved" the map just enough for the SEARCH THIS AREA button to re-appear, then click it again, hotels, etc. would display. Unfortunately, this solution no longer works, at least not at the moment! View attachment 439811
H-D appears to be working on some of the issues! We now have TIME/MILES information between locations as well as total TRIP MILEAGE. The mouse scroll wheel works intermittently, but the SEARCH THIS AREA isn't working at all currently. In the past, I'd discovered a fix to this problem of no SEARCH THIS AREA information displaying upon moving to a new map area. If I "moved" the map just enough for the SEARCH THIS AREA button to re-appear, then click it again, hotels, etc. would display. Unfortunately, this solution no longer works, at least not at the moment! View attachment 439811
Downloading a .gpx didn't work for me either.
So, in my disappointment and recent new problems with Harley Ride Planner, I looked for alternatives. I was not so surprised to find that Indian has a similar app, Indian Motorcycle Ride Command . I created a free user account and played around with their app. It is different in a lot of ways, qwerqy in others, but it does seem like a solid alternative. I created a couple maps to test and stumbled across a huge advantage. "Indian Ride Command" treats intermediate locations as waypoints! For those of you that have used the Harley Ride Planner, this is a huge advantage. This makes building routes so much easier and faster. You do not have to change locations to waypoints (at least on my two trial maps). Test it out!

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
117 Posts
After installing the female spade connector jumper and enabling CarPlay. I have found that the TomTom Go app works very well. Subscription based. But it does have downloadable maps, traffic, cameras, and a pretty easy planning
MyDrive App | TomTom
‎TomTom GO Navigation
Then there is Furkot | Free Road Trip Planner | Map Your Route
Scenic another subscription based downloadable maps nav.(edit not CarPlay compatible, but is in the works)
‎Scenic Motorcycle Navigation

The HD nav is okay, but just okay. There are other and better options and since that is their bread and butter, they are more responsive and have actual solutions.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
After installing the female spade connector jumper and enabling CarPlay. I have found that the TomTom Go app works very well. Subscription based. But it does have downloadable maps, traffic, cameras, and a pretty easy planning
MyDrive App | TomTom
‎TomTom GO Navigation
Then there is Furkot | Free Road Trip Planner | Map Your Route
Scenic another subscription based downloadable maps nav.(edit not CarPlay compatible, but is in the works)
‎Scenic Motorcycle Navigation

The HD nav is okay, but just okay. There are other and better options and since that is their bread and butter, they are more responsive and have actual solutions.
Does the TomTom app rely on cell service?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hmmm, mouse wheel not working for me right now. "Search Area" not working either. I guess it is clear that HD SUCKS with anything software :cool:.
This just came to mind, but when you were trying to use the wheel were you either editing or creating? That's the only time the wheel works.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This just came to mind, but when you were trying to use the wheel were you either editing or creating? That's the only time the wheel works.
I was editing. I just tried it again, no workie. I have transferred all my maps for the summer over to the "Indian Ride Command" application. Although it has some of its own qwerks, I REALLY like the app treating locations along the route as waypoints. Much smoother, more information about your route, and you do not have to convert the intermediate locations to waypoints like Harley Route Planner. That all said, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I was editing. I just tried it again, no workie. I have transferred all my maps for the summer over to the "Indian Ride Command" application. Although it has some of its own qwerks, I REALLY like the app treating locations along the route as waypoints. Much smoother, more information about your route, and you do not have to convert the intermediate locations to waypoints like Harley Route Planner. That all said, thanks for the suggestion!
No worries, just making sure. The Ride Planner doesn't work very good at all on my work computer, but works fine on my laptop at home. Don't know why. I have a buddy that has an Indian so I have had the Ride Command for a while now because I create routes and transfer them to him...cause I'm just better at that stuff. 😂 Like everything, some stuff I like better, some worse.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Well to keep beating the dead horse, I haven't used the Rideplanner since last year and open it up, tried to open an older saved ride and depending on web browser, I get no map (acts like loading but never opens) or the map opens with nothing but waypoints. Contacted HD and they made a few suggestions (made no difference), called back and they have no idea what to do next. I tried the Rideplanner on the wifes' laptop and it opens fine and I guess works okay, that really puzzled the HD support people.

So I'm going to try the myrouteapp.com and see if that becomes my new favorite. I tried Furkot cause I've used it before and it appears (in the free version) to have some glitches in it (trys to make a day at about 4 hours and wants you to make a hotel stop) so I gave up. Tried Rever and if you don't pay you can't 'save' a route. I hope the myrouteapp proves okay.

I'm through ranting....

·
Registered
2015 FLTRUSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Reading how Ride Planner appears to work on some computer, but not on others, thought I'd experiment. Switched from my 2 years old Lenovo P51 laptop running Windows 10 Pro where RP mostly works (even the "SEARCH THIS AREA" button is now working) ........to my brand new Lenovo X1 Carbon (backup laptop) running Windows 11 Pro. FWIW, there's no difference I can see. The major flaw which for me recently occurred is the "EXPORT GPX" button which produces a "Violated blocked road" error messageo_O!
Font Parallel Circle Slope Number

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
12 Posts
I'm experiencing some of the same issues as everyone else. However, when I try to update a current Ride Plan, I get an error message that says: "We couldn't find a ride." Pretty aggravating, actually. Even though I've broken this trip into segments & have all my routes saved, I would still like to update my dang trip!

Product World Organism Map Font

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the "couldnt find ride" orange flashing box. I figured out today if I turn off the avoid unpaved roads the warning goes away. Give it a try if you have that restriction on. I am also working with Harley c.s. on these issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the "couldnt find ride" orange flashing box. I figured out today if I turn off the avoid unpaved roads the warning goes away. Give it a try if you have that restriction on. I am also working with Harley c.s. on these issues.
Tried that (just now). Not only did it not work, I now lost the last leg of my planned route.
I called Customer Service previously about it. She "tested it" on her computer, and (of course) she had no issues. Guess I'll be calling again as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve made three different routes in the last two weeks. All work without issue.
I made 2 shorter ones, with no real issue. The "Loop Plan" (a 1900 mile loop through 4 states) is the main one I'm having issues with. It encompasses mostly state routes (no Interstates) and we're adding a couple of routes to it. It won't let me add those new routes to the existing plan. As I stated in a previous post, I have all the "leg segments" done. I just wanted to update the overall route map.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I made 2 shorter ones, with no real issue. The "Loop Plan" (a 1900 mile loop through 4 states) is the main one I'm having issues with. It encompasses mostly state routes (no Interstates) and we're adding a couple of routes to it. It won't let me add those new routes to the existing plan. As I stated in a previous post, I have all the "leg segments" done. I just wanted to update the overall route map.
What do you mean you want to update the overall route? Are you trying to make it so there aren’t stops and it’s one continuous route? Explain what your talking about better and then post a link to the route so I can see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. I was able to take the avoid unpaved off and hit save route. All was fine with big orange warning goung away . If i turn the avoid unpaved roads back on my complete route disappears.

The website was never the best but was a big help in planning and convenient to send to bike via bluetooth.

Been playing with the Indian website. It is pretty smooth and has a nice 3D option to ride/preview your route. I export it from Indian and import into HD then send to bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What do you mean you want to update the overall route? Are you trying to make it so there aren’t stops and it’s one continuous route? Explain what your talking about better and then post a link to the route so I can see it.
I created a basic Ride Plan to map out our 2022 road trip. Basically, a "this is where we're going" map that I can show folks. I used "locations" for basic changes in the route and place we were going. Even if I wanted to change the locations to waypoints, it won't let me. The Ride Plan I'm referring to is just for reference and will not be downloaded for the GPS.
Since the initial plan, we wanted to add another area to ride (another mini-loop, shown by the green circle in the first pic below). Every time I try to add it, I get the error message (We couldn't find a ride) Last night when I turned off the "Avoid Paved Roads" and tried it again, not only did I get the error message, but the final leg of our trip also disappeared from my map, and would not let me put it back on (area in the red oval).
Again, it's not a huge issue as far as our actual trip is concerned. All the "legs" are covered by individual route GPX's, which have already been saved & downloaded. Also, we both carry paper maps and sometimes take in last minute detours to other areas while on the road. None of our trips are ever "set in stone".

Product Organism Map Font Line
Ecoregion Map World Font Atlas

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
With all of these posts, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rever. I know it's big in the ADV community, even for paved rides. I may be trying this.

@36TR Nice route! Wish I could help, but I have not been able to successfully plan my own routes in Ride Planner that I can follow on the bike.

Reactions: Traxx
41 - 60 of 73 Posts