Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
12 Posts
@36TR Nice route! Wish I could help, but I have not been able to successfully plan my own routes in Ride Planner that I can follow on the bike.
Thanks! This is our 3rd consecutive year running the hills of WV. Great roads!! Also going back into Virginia, then coming back up through the Dragon Slayer, Ride the River Dragon and Eye of the Dragon. :cool::)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I created a basic Ride Plan to map out our 2022 road trip. Basically, a "this is where we're going" map that I can show folks. I used "locations" for basic changes in the route and place we were going. Even if I wanted to change the locations to waypoints, it won't let me. The Ride Plan I'm referring to is just for reference and will not be downloaded for the GPS.
Since the initial plan, we wanted to add another area to ride (another mini-loop, shown by the green circle in the first pic below). Every time I try to add it, I get the error message (We couldn't find a ride) Last night when I turned off the "Avoid Paved Roads" and tried it again, not only did I get the error message, but the final leg of our trip also disappeared from my map, and would not let me put it back on (area in the red oval).
Again, it's not a huge issue as far as our actual trip is concerned. All the "legs" are covered by individual route GPX's, which have already been saved & downloaded. Also, we both carry paper maps and sometimes take in last minute detours to other areas while on the road. None of our trips are ever "set in stone".

View attachment 441771 View attachment 441772
I has to do with the computer you're using. My work computer wont let me do some things but I can do everything from home. Post the actual LINK to the ride so I can go in and look at it. Do you know how to get the link?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I has to do with the computer you're using. My work computer wont let me do some things but I can do everything from home. Post the actual LINK to the ride so I can go in and look at it. Do you know how to get the link?
I have discovered it was doing the same thing in each of 4 ways: Home PC (Windows 11, both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge) and my work PC (Windows 10, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge).
HOWEVER: here's what I discovered about an hour or so ago (since I had nothing to lose): I went back in and turned off ALL the avoidances. This allowed me to add the necessary routing that I wanted (notice how Location 5 has moved). The only downside to that is now I have to go back in and fine tune it (getting some of the routes back on the roads we wanted). I'm slowly getting that done.
What I may do after that (just for gits and shiggles) is make a copy, and change all the locations to waypoints. If you still want a link, I'll go back in and do that.
At this point, it's been remedied. I really appreciate all the suggestions and help!!
Ecoregion World Map Atlas Font

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have discovered it was doing the same thing in each of 4 ways: Home PC (Windows 11, both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge) and my work PC (Windows 10, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge).
HOWEVER: here's what I discovered about an hour or so ago (since I had nothing to lose): I went back in and turned off ALL the avoidances. This allowed me to add the necessary routing that I wanted (notice how Location 5 has moved). The only downside to that is now I have to go back in and fine tune it (getting some of the routes back on the roads we wanted). I'm slowly getting that done.
What I may do after that (just for gits and shiggles) is make a copy, and change all the locations to waypoints. If you still want a link, I'll go back in and do that.
At this point, it's been remedied. I really appreciate all the suggestions and help!! View attachment 441786
If you got it figured out it’s all good. I was just gonna look and see if I could help you out. I haven’t done a multiple day trip yet, (I have one planned though) that so all my routes are waypoint only. But when I’m making them they are all locations. Then I copy it and turn it into a continuous waypoint route.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you got it figured out it’s all good. I was just gonna look and see if I could help you out. I haven’t done a multiple day trip yet, (I have one planned though) that so all my routes are waypoint only. But when I’m making them they are all locations. Then I copy it and turn it into a continuous waypoint route.
I really appreciate it, Brother. And, I would've accepted the help & input.
That's pretty much how my planning is done. I use locations, drag and change the route to what I want, then change the locations to waypoints. When I do "legs", I pick a star and end point, then drag to the route we want to do. The "leg" is what I download as a GPX. Of course, we've been know to stray off the route for Points of Interest or a quick side trip. :)
Below is what our "Loop" looks like with waypoints instead of locations.
Ride Safe & have a Great Summer!!

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Parallel

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
@36TR I don’t “drag” the route anymore. To much ass pain with that. I’ve found that finding an address off Google maps works much better for me. Most of the time I’ll add an address for all the points, get em set, then change all those to a location by dropping a point next to the address mark the upside down year drop, then delete the address, then change the location to a waypoint. It’s sounds time consuming, but I’ve gotten pretty good at it by this point. I’m not a back road rider either so that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@craigffb Sounds like either way can be time consuming. I usually start planning the trip several months out, so time is on my side. As for back roads, we typically stick to State Routes or US Routes, unless we are arriving at a particular destination.

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
117 Posts
With all of these posts, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rever. I know it's big in the ADV community, even for paved rides. I may be trying this.

@36TR Nice route! Wish I could help, but I have not been able to successfully plan my own routes in Ride Planner that I can follow on the bike.
I was using Rever almost exclusively until they changed the downloadable maps from by State to by a user defined area. I never could get the area large enough for touring type riding. I tried Scenic for a while and had to many issues with the routeing. Now I use a combo of Harley Ride Planner and Tom Tom.

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
117 Posts
Back to ride planner, I have noticed that if I go from the HD nav to Carplay and back again the HD Nav loses it place, then I end up using my back up Nav Tom Tom.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Back to ride planner, I have noticed that if I go from the HD nav to Carplay and back again the HD Nav loses it place, then I end up using my back up Nav Tom Tom.
I run CarPlay in the back braid all the time. Never an issue. Do you mean going from GTS NAV to Apple Maps or something?

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
117 Posts
Yes, when going from the GTS with a route in play, to Carplay. The route in use on the GTS will stop. Then it is a matter of getting it started again and skipping what ever waypoints I have already passed. So I generally just use the CarPlay from that point.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yes, when going from the GTS with a route in play, to Carplay. The route in use on the GTS will stop. Then it is a matter of getting it started again and skipping what ever waypoints I have already passed. So I generally just use the CarPlay from that point.
If that’s an issue either I’ve haven’t seen it in a long time or I never had it. But I don’t usually jump back and forth between the two. I only use Apple Maps if I’m going point to point. Cause you can’t set waypoints. But if I am going point to point i prefer Apple Maps cause the live traffic.

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
117 Posts
If that’s an issue either I’ve haven’t seen it in a long time or I never had it. But I don’t usually jump back and forth between the two. I only use Apple Maps if I’m going point to point. Cause you can’t set waypoints. But if I am going point to point i prefer Apple Maps cause the live traffic.
I use CarPlay for Tom Tom when going out of town due the the downloadable maps, the only time I use Apple Maps is local and if I do a search for something. I have gotten to the point of not using the GTS Nav unless I am looking for a HD dealership or something HD related. Its not a bad Nav, but I can get more with apps in CarPlay. Weather, traffic, weekly updated maps etc.....

61 - 73 of 73 Posts