Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like work has screwed my plans for 2 week trip out west so I'm going to ride to Asheville for the whole week of the July fourth. I know there are great roads all over but I'm looking for the ones less traveled. Going to stay Monday night in Dalton GA and ride the roads there then on to Asheville till that Sat.
Any suggestions for roads and restaurants would be appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the reason I chose Asheville was because I was invited to come stay at the Biltmore Inn for a week at no cost.(met the GM at a JD Powers conference last fall). But sounds like a place to drop in and meet up with other bikers. Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've ridden down there a lot, of course you have the dragon but it's always packed, Foothills Parkway is a good ride, Cherohala parkway, HWY 321 / 360, Moonshiners isn't bad (Rte 28)

·
Registered
84 Posts
You gotta hit lake lure and chimney rock. Stop at yhe tiki bar and heavenly hawgs. Beautiful country, great people, and awesome roads.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Everywhere!!! You are going to be in some of the best road gliding asphalt in the United States...I say hit everything you can. I'll bet you won't find a bad road!

O

·
0 Posts
Definitely check out NC (Moonshiner)28. My favorite stretch is the southern leg south into Franklin, NC. ...or north from Franklin if you're riding out of Ga. The Cherohala Skwy is one of my favorites along with TN 360 looping around to the back way into the Tail of the Dragon. So many great roads! We are spending a week up in Maggie Valley beginning this Friday. :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Less than 40 miles up the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Biltmore is Mount Mitchell State park and the highest peak on the east coast, beautiful ride that won't take long but with stops, you'll want to take in the views, you can be there in 1.5-2 hours. Leave there and go back to the Parkway still headed north about 15 or so miles is Highway 80/Buck Creek Road, go south about 12-13 miles for some of the best switchbacks around, very similar to the Dragon. Its known as the "Devils Whip" has its own website: http://www.thedevilnc80.com/

When you get to the bottom, in 35 minutes or so, you can be back at the Biltmore.

Alternate route, continue north past highway 80 & head up to Little Switzerland, another 15 miles or so and ride 226A also known as Diamondback: http://diamondbacknc.com/

You can do all these in less than a day.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to plug all this info in my GPS. Sounds like I'm going to have plenty of choices.

No need for a GPS in this part of the country, you can't make a wrong turn, each road is better then the last. The Dragon, Moonshiner, Rattler are all great roads but IMO the best roads are ones you stumble on, without names just mundane designations like NC 215. Get up on the Blue Ridge and pick a road, any road off of it, and be prepared to be amazed!

An absolutely amazing area to ride in. If it's not the best in the country it's as good as the best has to offer :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
No need for a GPS in this part of the country, you can't make a wrong turn, each road is better then the last. The Dragon, Moonshiner, Rattler are all great roads but IMO the best roads are ones you stumble on, without names just mundane designations like NC 215. Get up on the Blue Ridge and pick a road, any road off of it, and be prepared to be amazed!

An absolutely amazing area to ride in. If it's not the best in the country it's as good as the best has to offer :D
EXACTLY!!! That's what I said earlier...you can't pick a bad road! Just go!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Chimeny Rock & Lake Lure are a good destination (south of Ashville if my memory serves).
It would be a long day, but heading out towards Cherahola & the Dragon, Ride Cherahola out thru Telico Plains up towards Marysville and then up the Dragon making a big loop.........If you hit Maggie Valley for Wheels thru time or just in the evening, Butts on the Creek serves some tasty BBQ!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts