Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving fairhope, alabama late june . have 14 days.
where or where should me and the wife head.:nerd:>:):surprise:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If you haven't done it yet the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive both end to end are nice rides. The cover bridges are pretty cool in Alabama. The Little River Canyon north of Gadsden and on into Chattanooga is decent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you haven't done it yet the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive both end to end are nice rides. The cover bridges are pretty cool in Alabama. The Little River Canyon north of Gadsden and on into Chattanooga is decent.

we open to anywhere in country.
got married in gatlinburg 2012 and spent a week up there...done blue ridge between cherokee and ashville, cherohola, dragon tail,
little river was awesome.. we did that and mt cheaha on our first anniversary 2 years ago.

last year we went from fairhope to daytona beach to port saint lucie and over to tampa and up gulf coast of fla.
every year we do Thunder Beach spring rally in panama city beach.

trying to decide if i have back and ass to make to grand canyon....LOL
by time of ride i will be 61 and my wife 50..

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I really like NW Arkansas and southern Missouri. Great roads and good people!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Coincidence! I'm 61 & heading to yellowstone early June. Hope my body parts make it also! :smile:

(& turn 62 when we get back)

Ron

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
That time of year I would be looking for elevation or northern latitudes for cooler weather.

Some ideas for rides regardless of the temperatures I prefer.

Natchez Trace Parkway
Great River Road to the source of the Mississippi.
Ride the coastline around lake Michigan and/or Superior
Do the Seaway Trail http://www.seawaytrail.com/maps/
My top 5 states so far:
Utah, Colorado, Maine, North Carolina, California
String together as many of the top motorcycle roads to make a great trip. Top 100 Routes | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
One of my favorite areas to ride is in Colorado starting with the Highway of Legends just outside of Trinidad, then working your way over Wolf Creek Pass and heading toward Durango, Co. From Durango take the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton, then on to Ouray. Plan on staying in Ouray, beautiful town right out of a Switzerland pic. Then leave and head to Telluride by way of Ridgway and after Telluride head toward Cortez. After that you can go to Mesa Verde for the Indian ruins or go to Mexican Hat by way of Four Corners (the only place you can stand in four states). Mexican Hat is a cool town and suggest if you stay there, stay at the San Juan Inn right on the cliffs overlooking the river then eat at the Swinging Steak. Cool restaurant and bar. From there you can do Monument Valley in Utah or head back toward Cortez and work your way back thru New Mexico for Sante Fe, Red River to name a few. The Enchanted Loop is a very nice ride in that area.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coincidence! I'm 61 & heading to yellowstone early June. Hope my body parts make it also! :smile:

(& turn 62 when we get back)

Ron
hope it works for you then. i have heard lots of snow in early june,,
i have heard july and august much better weather.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this will be my first trip this long...maybe 10-13 days...
i have taken many trips around 5-6 days...

how ambitious should i get with how many miles i want to cover and still be enjoyable.

thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
this will be my first trip this long...maybe 10-13 days...
i have taken many trips around 5-6 days...

how ambitious should i get with how many miles i want to cover and still be enjoyable.

thanks for any input.
That all depends on what time you are going hit the road, what time you want to be at a destination, what type of roads you're going to ride, how many stops you plan to take, and how long those stops will be.

Back in '12 I did a 15 state 7000 mile tour in 21 days. That is an average of 333.33 miles a day. Some days were 500 miles, some days 200 miles. If there was something to see, I stopped. If a local said I really needed to ride a certain road, or stop at a certain sight, I did if I found the suggestion interesting.

Sometimes I am on the bike from Sun up to Sun down. I never travel at night when away from home because of the increased risks. I see a lot of road kill every morning.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have found that i dont set a mile amount if i have the time,let your body tell you when its time to stop.Did Springfield Missouri last year then headed south to Ark went thru Eureka Springs Ark,what a great place to stay then headed thru the Ozarks,had a fantastic ride with great roads and scenery.We took all back roads out and had a blast did 400 miles the first day that included a side trip to a HD shop for a unexpected 3 hr repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts