Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack and I worked out a time and place for him to pass the Roadglide.org Rally Flag on to me to carry to Sharkweek, or pass on to someone else to bring it to Appleton.
The weather forecast for Saturday was much more tolerable than the heat wave we have been tolerating for about a week. The plan was to meet at Barber when they opened at 10 AM. My route was backroads which turned a 2 hour interstate ride into a 3 hour backroads ride.
Scott and Steve decided to join in on the fun and left out of Indiana Friday afternoon.
I was the first to arrive at Barber about 0945 after zigging and zagging through the Alabama hills.
Tire Cloud Plant Sky Wheel

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

The guys showed up a little after 10 and when i walked out to greet them they were deep in conversation with a security guard. There is no telling what they did to get his attention. :unsure: ;)

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Fuel tank

There are a lot of interesting and exotic motorcycles in the museum, but this is the bike I would love to ride before I die. Captain America is such an iconic motorcycle that had me as a kid turn my Schwinn 3 speed banana seat bike into a chopper with steel tent poles, sissy bar and ape hangers. Sure wish my parents had taken a photo of me on that bike. LOL! Even though this bike is a replica, it still stirs something inside me and I can hear Steppenwolf playing in my head.

Most people don't photograph Captain America from the below angles, but for me this is the best angle for putting yourself at the controls and imagining what it would be like to ride this machine!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Scott and Jack holding the Flag in front of Captain America. I didn't realize that know one knows where the original Captain America is because it was stolen before the movie released. But it looks like two guys lay claim to owning the bike due to "Grizzly Adams" probably scamming them. The Battle Over Captain America, the Chopper from "Easy Rider" - Maxim.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tree Mode of transport Automotive design

Below is Jack relinquishing the Flag into my care. I am honored to hold onto the flag until it can be passed onto the next member or I deliver it to the rally in Appleton. Knowing that I have to get the flag to Appleton has given me an extra purpose to make sure I go, hell or high water.

Cool Font Wall Brick Facade

Touring the museum for a few hours was awesome, but eventually hunger set in. I ended up taking the lead and headed into the town of Leeds where I spotted this small BBQ joint on the side of the road.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Cloud

The food was tasty and the conversation was good. Definitely lost track of time, and forget to take a photo of us at the table.

We said our goodbyes after lunch with Jack heading south towards Montgomery, while Scott and Steve were hitting the interstate to head back towards Indiana. I had not particular plan and just punched in the small town of Oneonta, AL with the GPS on shortest distance. Before I left out of Leeds I had to stop and get a photo of the bike with this aged mural of the railroad days that helped define the area.

Property Cloud Building Sky Window

Once I hit Oneonta, I plugged in "home" on the GPS, which was still set on shortest distance. This is an example of the types of roads I was riding on my way home. In the cities the temps were in the 90s. Out here I saw as low as 81 degrees when under the shade of the trees.

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

All in all it was a great day for riding, looking at bikes, and sharing stories with like minded men. I will follow up with some photos of other bikes of interest to me in the museum, and with the rally flag hanging in my shop.

·
Administrator
13,311 Posts
We weren't in trouble with the guard , I was the first to speak asking him about my other love :

"Is that a Smith you're carrying?"

He replied "No it's an XD 45" ..

I called him some derogatory name for having one and me not ..

When we were leaving , he was at the front entrance inside and we picked right up where we left off ..

The last time I was at Barbers was in 2010 for the Vintage Days ..

All around great day and always good to see these three guys AGAIN ..

JtB

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,413 Posts
Two wheel

As usual, a great illustration with pictures, and stories,
I knew Jack was a troublemaker from the beginning, asking about another man's gun could get you in trouble for sure🤣🤣🤣
BUT.... being in Alabama, I'm sure the guard broke out his xd 45, and let you drool at it🤣🤣
Sounds like y'all had a great time, and that's really the the heart of the matter, is hanging out with other people that have your same interest, to me that's awesome!!!

Great write up.....

·
Administrator
13,311 Posts
One of the places I want to go sometime.

I need to get out more....

Great that you all could meet and pass the flag to another!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Whenever you do let me know , only 86 miles from here , not much over an hour slabbing it .. Museum is $15 self guided or $30 something guided , guided they take you down stairs to see some cool stuff , we thought about guided , but when we were walking about , there was one guided group and the guy was saying stuff that might be interesting if you know nothing about bikes , but sounded kinda silly to me .. And the ticket is good for the day , if you leave and come back same day , ticket is still good .. Also 10 or 20 per cent discount for military/veteran , forget , think it's twenty per cent .

JtB

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow. Really cool share and pics! Great story telling as usual. Thanks for posting this! Just super cool!

I've been to Barber several times now for the museum, once for vintage days and once for an Indycar race. Amazing is an understatement. Curated wonderfully and well climate controlled during those hot summer days.

Wife & I went to 'Wheels Through Time' Saturday for our second time. Another great motorcycle museum. Matt Walksler (Dale's son) was there....very cool and friendly as usual!

I just love all the riding and the motorcycle-ness that we have available to use here! Very blessed indeed.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tastes in motorcycles run the full gamut, so below I am just focusing on unique and apropos for this forum.

An 850cc V8 engine. Why? That is what the potential consumers asked
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Below are two bikes I coveted when I saw them in the magazines but I was scraping by as a young man at the time. Plus I had my used Yamaha XS750 that met my needs

The 1984 Kenny Roberts signature RZ 350.
Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting Wheel

Early 80s Yamaha Midnight Special.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

The military bikes, and what young men did with the military bikes after WWII was a significant time in the history of motorcycles
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

I really like this Civilian paint scheme

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

I remember seeing one of these running around Daytona Beach and thinking how cool and different it was

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

I never saw one of these in the wild, and I’m not sure what I think about the boat tail seating arrangement. I do like the paint though…
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Because the paint almost tempted me to buy one of these when it came out for 2020.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I know many guys here like to build up the engine on their bikes, and this builder took it to the extreme by mating two inline 6 cyli
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

There are close to 2000 motorcycles in the Barber collection with close to half of them in storage. I guess they need an expansion project.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I never was big on Yamaha motorcycles, although I did own a rd400, but that Midnight Special, it to me, is still one of the prettier bikes, that setup was ahead of its time,
And the wheel and paint scheme were tastefully done. Although I do think they copied from Pontiac Trans Am, black with gold wheels okay, I actually owned a 1979 Bandit Edition with the 400 4 speed, my car was white with the chicken on the hood, t tops,
I gave up a 66 mustang convertible,( which I hated from day one, it had a bad habit of getting stuck on a 1-2 shift, a lot of times if I was in good clothes I would just leave it stuck in second. It handled like shit, I don't know how many times I got my hands caught in the steering wheel as it was spinning. The Mustang was given to me on my 15th birthday, I love the trans am and ended up owning several through out my adulthood, my 86 gta was my favorite.....

·
Administrator
13,311 Posts
That boattail Super Glide is a 1971 model , first year Super Glide and only year for the boattail , and it was also my first big twin and I have forever kicked myself for letting it go .. Always have a soft spot for the Super Glides ..

JtB

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts

So the black AMF is an FXD???
Not a sporty? It's the only boat tail I see......
Ether way the paint is pretty.....

Pops was pretty pissed off about the AMF merger with Harley.
I always thought that merger was to keep Harley from tanking,
Pops thought differently...... until 1986 when he bought flt tour Glide,
Pops was always bragging about all the first, Evo, belt driven, dual front brakes, telescopic Forks, fixed fairing, and pillow top seat , I actually think it was called the road sofa, whatever it was called it's still the most comfortable see I've ever ridden on to this day I wish I could get one for my modern Road Glide, too late I already have a custom seat tailored to my preference, which is pretty damn comfortable with the gel pad in it as well.

·
Administrator
13,311 Posts
No the black AMF is the XLCR Sportster cafe racer , the scooter below it is the boattail 1971 SuperGlide FX , the first big twin I owned ..

JtB

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
By owning the Tour Glide, my wife new exactly what she was gonna purchase for my birthday, she wrote 2 checks for the bike, and had them hold till the day came,
The day of my birthday, we went to by parts for my then sporty, I knew the owner on a first-name basis and went on many a bike run for charities. I get out of the truck and I walked straight to it, damn it's flat black, it even matched my Sportster how crazy is that, so most of y'all but don't know everything I own is flat black except for my Avalanche which is white diamond. The owners Remain the keys to the by to tell me to take it out for a ride, my wife is on the back of the bike and that time I was a heavy smoker, while riding the bike I went to reach for my Zippo, but looked down and saw a cigarette lighter, turned the bike around the told my wife we're going to buy this bike, we get back, and i tell the owner I want it, and he says sorry somebody all ready bought,
He turns to my wife, and said to me meet the new owner......and that is how I acquired Shaniqua....... look how close my Sportsters color scheme matched my Road Glide

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

My favorite part about the sportser was the Paco front-end $4,000 just for that front end and the rim I got the drag bars at a swap meet.....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
That boattail Super Glide is a 1971 model , first year Super Glide and only year for the boattail , and it was also my first big twin and I have forever kicked myself for letting it go .. Always have a soft spot for the Super Glides ..
Purist kept the tail...tinkerers ripped it off and got to modding - Came close to buying this one back when I had the FXR3...but chose reliability as Fuzz, Big Gary and Bruce shined a bright light on the well documented fact that I am a Paddock Playboy Factory Racer...not a wrench - I think the master tech at my shop who built this still has it - It could be yours for $11K I'm guessing

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,311 Posts
Yes I remember you posting that photo , nowadays I would keep the boat tail , but alas I wasted no time in ripping it off the bike .
I would love to have that shovel your wrench has

JtB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts