Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we got back about this time last week from our first trip to Laconia and the northeast. Though the weather forecasts sucked all week and rain chances bounced from 20% to 100% and back about every 6 hours we got pretty lucky and only rode in rain about 3 times, only getting really wet once. Strangely enough the one day we thought we had the least chance of getting wet was the day we got the wettest BUT....

The one thing we hoped to do but looked like we had the least chance of doing was riding up Mt. Washington on Thursday. The one constant in the forecast was it was gonna be in the 40's at the top with 40 mph wind, equaling a 10 degree windchill. We figured no way. Gman and Workman decided to come down from Maine anyway as the forecast in general looked good or as good as it'd been.

Thursday morning I woke up to an eerie yellow glow coming from under the hotel curtains. I peeked out and it was a beautiful sunny morning with blue skies!! We met Gman and Workman for breakfast and decided to make the Ride to the Sky! I snapped a few pics.....

When we got to Mt. Washington we stopped in a little staging area before we headed up....

The road was closed that Thursday to just bikes and the vans that took the faint of heart to the top. You have to pay $16 dollars a bike for the ride to the top

Although its only about 8 miles to the top you have to go so slow and the incline is so steep we stopped around the 5 miles mark to look around and let the bikes cool off....

Livetoglide, Me, Gman and Workman....

>>>>

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We stopped at the top to look around....

....its so windy at the top they actually have to chain the buildings down....

·
Super Moderator
12,429 Posts
Wow, beautiful view, looks like it was a lot of fun, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The road shots were shot as we came down the mountain, you just put it in a low gear and idled down. I was kinda occupied going up :D

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

....a dirt road! It never fails anytime you get a few RG's together you find a dirt road L:DL! I heard it was hard rock at the top but its not. The road is paved at the bottom and about half way up is dirt with groves and everything then it becomes paved again at the top....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

....back down at the bottom. The cool thing about this picture is the line of bikes behind me in my mirror....

Though the weather forecast all week was ominous at best we had what turned out to be prefect weather for the Ride to the Sky. Sunny, no wind and not much temperature difference at the top then the bottom. Rain was moving in as we were at the top however and we beat feet on down because we didn't want to negotiate the dirt part in the mud. The groves in the dirt made the pucker factor high enough.

Though not nearly as high as some roads or mountains the Ride to the Sky is a trip worth taking. It was nice not having to deal with cages going up. Some people have said they've been there done that, don't need to do it again but I'm thinkin' the next time I do Laconia, I'm doing the Ride to the Sky!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post those great pics. I've been up Mt. Washington several times but never on a bike. Next year maybe.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Rode all of the northeast states end of May / beginning of June. That was on the route as a "maybe" if weather was okay. Rainy and cold - so we didn't risk it. You had a beautiful day!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts