Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride to the Wall in DC is coming up soon. This year should be even bigger since it is the 25 year anniversary. Looking forward to riding with our Rolling Thunder chapter, they allow our HOG chapter members to ride along with them.

After giving my respects at the Wall and participating in the demonstration ride, our smaller group will take the long way home. I've been to the Smokys a few times, but never made it up to the northern half of the Blue Ridge Parkway. So we will be doing that along with stopping in Mount Airy (Andy Griffith town), stay in the towns of Blowing Rock and Boone, and riding the notorious roads called "The Diamond Back", "The Snake", and "The Back of the Dragon". We'll ride to New River Gorge bridge in WV and head over to the Red River Gorge in KY also. It's going to be a great time with our group.

Only part of my trip not planned is the Saturday before the demonstration ride. Last time I tried to ride around DC to see stuff, but the traffic was terrible, so I'm looking for something to do outside of DC. I'm thinking that maybe the local HD dealerships may have some stuff going on, if so, does anyone know? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
No ideas for ya but had to chime in and say, it sounds like good times. That ride is on my bucket list of rides, and I am thinkin I need to to it sooner rather than later. Even if I don't get to do the "rolling thunder" part of it, I will be riding to the wall.
Enjoy your ride...

Rowdy

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ozoneman,

Go to the HD website and put in Mt Airy and it will give you a list of the Dealerships in the surrounding area. There is allot of GREAT riding in the area and most of the dealerships have calendars with what's going on in the area. Hope this helps!!

Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taking the subway in to DC sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Coming from the west coast, we are headed to the Wall as well. Headed the northern route going with a stop for shark week and then up to Milwaukee over to Maine, down eastern seaboard to the Wall. Then west to home. Three weeks on the road and about 7500 miles! Really looking forward to this vacation trip!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This is the first year the American Legion will be one of the sponsors--look for a HUGE turnout of American Legion Riders, along with any number of other veterans' groups. I don't think any other national organization can match the American Legion for numbers of flag-waving veterans, and they are proud to be sponsors as well as participants. But it is definitely NOT an American Legion event, or even a veteran's event. COME ONE, COME ALL!!:D:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Patriot HD, East Coast HD, and Whitt's HD all having open house activities that Saturday. After attending the one at Patriot last year (wasnt impressed), I will probably check out East Coast HD this year. They are just south of D.C. and claim Hooters girls will be there serving up wings. There are plenty of great places to ride in VA, i prefer the Skyline Drive area. The D-day memorial is also just a few hours out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coming up soon!!! Leave Indy on Thursday.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Have a safe trip Ozoneman. I'm only about an hour north of DC, but don't think I'm gonna make it this year. Watch out for the cages in and around DC, they drive a little nutty and it's a busy place.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Coming up soon!!! Leave Indy on Thursday.
Ozoneman, if your Sat. dance card isn't full yet, American Legion Riders Post #177 in Fairfax (D.C. suburb) is hosting a big open house/party/barbeque/band/(lots more good stuff) for Rolling Thunder XXV. Here's the website with whole weekend details, times, address and directions.

http://post177alr.org/

Dover, DE ALR Post #2 (My guys:)) riders scheduled to be there around noon Sat.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ozoneman, if your Sat. dance card isn't full yet, American Legion Riders Post #177 in Fairfax (D.C. suburb) is hosting a big open house/party/barbeque/band/(lots more good stuff) for Rolling Thunder XXV. Here's the website with whole weekend details, times, address and directions.

Thanks Outcast! It looks like Post #177 is close to Partriot HD also.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the Legion. I see they have a bike wash where I can get all the bugs cleaned off. LOL

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Legion. I see they have a bike wash where I can get all the bugs cleaned off. LOL
It looks like it's Boy Scouts doing bike washes for donations. I applaud their work ethic, their civic mindedness, dedication to their organization, etc., and I might throw a few bucks in the donation jug. Nonetheless, I know what cleaners, waxes, towels, etc. I want used on my bike, and if there are to be any "good intentions" smeared on my ride, they will be mine.:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
this year a friend and i are riding out from northern va to indy to go see the indy 500. leaving friday morning. he will be on a silver street glide and i will be on my sedona orange 11 RGC with the tourpack on. give us a wave if you see us.

have a good time at rolling thunder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts