Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure some on here have taken the plunge and purchased the HD adjustable rider bike rest mounting kit ($220) and a adjustable rider back rest. ($115)

Have you been happy/satisfied with the design, longevity of the cable etc. Looking for a bit of comfort on long trips. I like that the back rest is removable via a latch and can be adjusted for height.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I’ve had mine on my ‘11 for a little over a year. Love it! I don’t adjust it much while on the go but it does come in handy being able to find just the right angle. So far no issues with the workmanship of the backrest pad nor the cable for adjusting.

The backrest does take a bit more thought throwing a leg over while getting on and off the bike. Wife says it doesn’t bother her at all to have the backrest on while we’re riding 2up.

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado.

Reactions: louisiana rgl

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Have had mine since 2012, and it’s been on two different bikes now. I got mine at half price when a dealer not far from me closed. Love it. The only draw back I can see to it is it kinda limits what seats you can put on the bike.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I mount from high side off the floor boards. I have a bag in passenger seat so already have the to clear. Plan on only having it on for the typical overnight longer rides

·
Registered
2021 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
114 Posts
I just installed one, I don't adjust it much but I think the one solid piece of metal coming through the seat looks better than the bunched up leather on the other style fixed backrest. Either way a back rest is a mush have in my opinion.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
407 Posts
I’ve had it on two bikes now. I like it, but it is a bit of a pain when mounting from the left side and in dismounting from same.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I mess with mine a lot more doing long distance riding, but day to day it pretty much stays in the same place.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I’ve had it on two bikes now. I like it, but it is a bit of a pain when mounting from the left side and in dismounting from same.
Get on from the right side of the bike. Dismount same side as well. Much easier once you get used to it. @08Zinc is it working out for you better that way?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Get on from the right side of the bike. Dismount same side as well. Much easier once you get used to it. @08Zinc is it working out for you better that way?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Roger that. Still mostly getting on from the high side now, especially when Julie rides with me as I let her get on the bike first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another option, mustang...
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks I looked at the mustang website and did not see the kit to recline the back rest. HD I believe goes back 30 degrees

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks I looked at the mustang website and did not see the kit to recline the back rest. HD I believe goes back 30 degrees
Now youare losing me, why would you want to recline the backrest 30 deg?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The HD one is adjustable while you're riding the bike. The ability to move the back rest on a long trip is very nice.
Mine has an adjustment screw, but even on 10 hour rides I haven't felt the need to adjust it. I can feel it but not really leaning on it, but it provides support over the bumps...I just have trouble imagining reclining 30 degrees while riding...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine has an adjustment screw, but even on 10 hour rides I haven't felt the need to adjust it. I can feel it but not really leaning on it, but it provides support over the bumps...I just have trouble imagining reclining 30 degrees while riding...
Thanks for the feed back. As usual I have a habit of over thinking many issues. Like options and don't want to feel like I am trying NOT to sit on the tank.

My thinking is that #1 I may want it back a few degrees not to have it confining me. Also on most recent trip after many hours on a multi day trip I would lean against bag on passenger seat and take pressure off the back but the lean angle was a bit much. I could be wrong but when In look at the HD website the Adjustable Back rest does not appear to fit the standard mount and is not removable

Adjustable mounting kit Out of stock in this new world
HD back rest mounting kit
HD adjustable back rest smooth style

There is a significant price difference for the options

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. As usual I have a habit of over thinking many issues. Like options and don't want to feel like I am trying NOT to sit on the tank.

My thinking is that #1 I may want it back a few degrees not to have it confining me. Also on most recent trip after many hours on a multi day trip I would lean against bag on passenger seat and take pressure off the back but the lean angle was a bit much. I could be wrong but when In look at the HD website the Adjustable Back rest does not appear to fit the standard mount and is not removable

Adjustable mounting kit Out of stock in this new world
HD back rest mounting kit
HD adjustable back rest smooth style

There is a significant price difference for the options
Yeah, I have been known to lean back on the baggage a little from time to time, but I find it uncomfortable fairly quickly, my arms are too extended to reach the grips...

Reactions: louisiana rgl
1 - 17 of 17 Posts