Road Glide banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a ride in a couple weeks. The route involves a lot of twisty mountain roads. My buddy invited his friend who rides a trike. I know there's no way a trike can keep up with me in the twisties and I'm wondering if I should change the route to a freeway or coastal ride (PCH). I'd appreciate some input since I've never ridden with a trike in my group.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Ride Planning

BD,

I wouldn't change the route. Keep it the way you've planned it. Talk to your buddy about the trike riders skill level. Find out what it is. If your group likes riding the twisties and you change to straighter roads for a guy on a trike they may have never met, their enjoyment may be reduced.

The best place for him is in the back of the pack. Plan a few more "catch up" stops for him is all. Give him time to rest. Steering that trike is all arm strong steering.

Plan your ride, ride your plan.

Calgaryglide

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
339 Posts
The trikes with Champion independent suspension can keep up in the corners we have a rider with this set up with a 95ci hot set up he can keep up on all the hills and corners see what your friends trike has

·
Registered
852 Posts
Our general rule in our group is to ride your own ride in your own comfort zone. We stop at any turnoffs and wait for everyone to catch up. We discuss up front and then the slower riders tend to ride in back. We stay as a group most of the time but there are times where a couple of us will grip it and rip it. Its usually on the twisty fun parts. So.... The trikes would ride in back and meet us at the turn off. I would not change my trip plan. If I went on a trip that someone else planned I would ride their plan or not go with them.

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
I would leave your route the way it is. Before the Frankenglide was converted back to a 2-wheeler, it was quite humorous to see Frankie literally hanging off the side of it while taking the twisties and gaining a lead on me. :laugh:
On a serious note, I would ask him to hang toward the back so that if he does ride a bit slower, he doesnt slow the group down. Just allow him to catch up if you turn onto another road. I wouldnt think it would be an issue.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Let me know I can join you on the ride if that is cool...........
Have ridden with trike, if a good rider its ok. like others have said at turns gather the group. I don't care what you ride as long as you dont crash into me or others or hurt yourself :surprise:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
you guys might be under estimating the ability of the trike. My buddy and I were behind a trike on the blue ridge parkway a few years back and that guy was hauling ass. We were both surprised at how well it took the corners. That said I still agree probably the best place for him would be the back of the pack.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Our general rule in our group is to ride your own ride in your own comfort zone. We stop at any turnoffs and wait for everyone to catch up. We discuss up front and then the slower riders tend to ride in back. We stay as a group most of the time but there are times where a couple of us will grip it and rip it. Its usually on the twisty fun parts. So.... The trikes would ride in back and meet us at the turn off. I would not change my trip plan. If I went on a trip that someone else planned I would ride their plan or not go with them.
+1 - he should stay in the back and the leader should just allow him to catch up before any big turns, I would also hope that the person that invited the trike rider knows his skill level and that he can keep up.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 - he should stay in the back and the leader should just allow him to catch up before any big turns, I would also hope that the person that invited the trike rider knows his skill level and that he can keep up.
My regular riding group are all very strong riders. This is not that group. I've never ridden with the buddy I invited and I think he's a bit intimidated my the way my friends and I can ride. I have a feeling he invited the guy on the trike to slow us down. Just a hunch and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I would leave your route the way it is. Before the Frankenglide was converted back to a 2-wheeler, it was quite humorous to see Frankie literally hanging off the side of it while taking the twisties and gaining a lead on me. :laugh:
On a serious note, I would ask him to hang toward the back so that if he does ride a bit slower, he doesnt slow the group down. Just allow him to catch up if you turn onto another road. I wouldnt think it would be an issue.
you guys might be under estimating the ability of the trike. My buddy and I were behind a trike on the blue ridge parkway a few years back and that guy was hauling ass. We were both surprised at how well it took the corners. That said I still agree probably the best place for him would be the back of the pack.
+1 on both these comments. There is a chance he could hold you up but don't assume till you see him ride what his abilities are. A friend of mine has a trike and he can hang with anyone on pretty much any road. Few people take the time to do it but the guys that take the time to learn to ride a trike, really ride a trike are fun to watch. My buddy is working his ass off riding the twisties but he can fly, even on the Dragon!

Regarding your question, no I wouldn't change the route and they probably wouldn't want you to. If thats what they're expecting because they're intimidated they shouldn't go. I would have planned stops as rally points and let them know where they were in case you get separated to catch up.

This question reminds me, a couple years ago Jax and Opie from Sons of Anarchy were in town for an appearance and charity ride at the local Harley dealer. A friend of mine who was planning the route was told to make sure it was all interstate, the SOA guys didn't care for two lane curvy roads L:grin:L

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I rode behind a trike when I was in Sturgis in 08 one day. The guy was a friend of a friend we met at the campground and he was not very fast in the corners. It made for a not so fun day for me early on being behind him. Discuss things upfront and have him ride in the back starting out. If he is quicker than some of the 2-wheelers then switch it up as you go so everyone can enjoy the ride. It sucks being behind people that ride a lot slower than your skill level which is why I avoid groups as much as possible. Communication upfront is key!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ride a trike too. It was daunting when I first got it but a skilled rifer will adapt pretty quick. I know running the twists takes some real getting used to and a bit more planning when running a trike, but they can be pretty fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.